Sponsored by:

Price Check

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Sax Maniac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
5 of these listed here at around $50k asking prices: http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/usa/...M04AUV&styp_=s

Most have lower miles. 996 asking prices are going up.
I just picked up 40thAE #395 last week with just under 13k miles on her. This car is incredibly clean and Porsche Certified and the dealer was asking $51,900. I haggled a little but that was the starting point.

No idea what the gap between trade-in and asking price is on these cars, it's my first one. :-)
Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by Sax Maniac
I just picked up 40thAE #395 last week with just under 13k miles on her. This car is incredibly clean and Porsche Certified and the dealer was asking $51,900. I haggled a little but that was the starting point.

No idea what the gap between trade-in and asking price is on these cars, it's my first one. :-)
Cool. Good luck. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ryangambrill
Are you saying 28-32 on trade in?
yes. There is a rumor that off lease cars are going to be hard to find this summer and fall becasue a lot of compnies did not do leases in 2008. So, used car prices might go up. Good news if you are selling not good news if you are buying.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy is serious and wanting to buy my car for 50K CAD.

I just got it last year though
Old 07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by function12
yes. There is a rumor that off lease cars are going to be hard to find this summer and fall becasue a lot of compnies did not do leases in 2008. So, used car prices might go up. Good news if you are selling not good news if you are buying.
I wonder how long this will be the case.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

I was thinking about $30k when I read the info. You might ask $33k in your ads but I would think you would get around $30kish +/-.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, no doubt that the 40th is a special car and worth a small premium but $51,900 is absolutely absurd.

Did yours come wiht the luggage?

I hope you haggled alot. Good luck with the car.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I wonder how long this will be the case.
Generally used car prices are up. Several dealers I've talked to are having problems finding suitable used cars. The number of used cars is down because new cars sales and leasing too have been down for a few years now. From a high of around 16M per year to a bit over 10M cars per year in some years recently past.

Plus with the economy still down people have held onto their cars for longer than usual. The average age of the population of used cars is up.

Because many buyers do not want to buy a new car for various reasons good used cars are gaining in value.

A few dealers I've visited have in the past few months received a huge influx of SUVs, trucks and other 'gas hogs' as trade-ins for both used and new car purchases. For instance the local Honda dealer's used car lot -- its lot borders the used car lot of the Porsche dealer I use for my cars' servicing -- went from empty to loaded with SUVs and such seemingly almost overnight. Amazing.

A Porsche dealer (its sales manager) I chat with once in awhile when I visit the dealership tells used car sales have shot up at this dealership with the dealership sometimes selling up to 4 cars per day.

More than a few Porsche dealers are scrambling for good used Porsche used car stock. Based on what I gather the internal Porsche used car auction site is running hot and heavy as Porsche dealers scramble to buy/sell cars via this system.

My guess used car prices will remain higher than usual until the economy picks up and more buyers are comfortable buying a new car vs. a used car. This drops demand on used car and because many new car buyers trade in their used car will increase the number of used cars on the market. This all works (should work anyhow) to over time to drive used prices down.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

I paid $55K for my 40th in 2007 with 8K miles, CPO warranty, and luggage.

Hard to believe they are still asking that much. If you look on the 997 board someone is selling a 2008 C2S with 18K miles for well under $50K.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Auto-X-er
Intermediate

My dad just picked up a 40th CPO for $38.5k with 60k miles. If you car is in good condition you could probably expect to get mid 30s private party. We found one much cheaper with less miles but when we called it was a salvage from a flood. The main thing I noticed is that the average time for them to sell was quite high and then selling season isn't going to last much longer this year. The 40ths are desirable models.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Steve2112
Racer

I bought mine in 2009 at the dealer with 2 yr CPO for $46k. There were 2 other cars that were going for roughly the same price, but did not have CPO. One had 8,000 miles and the other 17,000 miles.

Like others have mentioned - you could probably get 35K private party but it may take some time to sell. I check them out on eBay once in a while and they usually don't sell there for 35K and the auction gets relisted.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

My plan is to move into a 997 in the next year or two. Any ideas on a ballpark value for my P-Car?

Just turned 57k miles. No issues at all. Just usual oil, tires, etc.

I put about 8k miles per year on the car. Any advise?
When I looked for my 40th last year, the midwest had higher prices than the west coast. You might be able to get a better price than some in this thread suggest. Perhaps 35k or more.

Congrats on the 40th!
I wouldn't worry what you paid. It was the price your market could bear, and sounds like it is a pristine very low mile CPO 40th.

Originally Posted by Auto-X-er
My dad just picked up a 40th CPO for $38.5k with 60k miles. If you car is in good condition you could probably expect to get mid 30s private party. We found one much cheaper with less miles but when we called it was a salvage from a flood. The main thing I noticed is that the average time for them to sell was quite high and then selling season isn't going to last much longer this year. The 40ths are desirable models.
Congrats to your dad!
What serial is he?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post7631523
Let us know how he likes autocrossing it!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Auto-X-er
Intermediate

Originally Posted by balefire
Congrats to your dad!
What serial is he?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post7631523
Let us know how he likes autocrossing it!
looks like its number 1020.

The car has a thing in the front window saying it was driven by Hurley Haywood and has his signature. Is that on all the 40ths?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you are ready to sell next year make sure you do proper advertising. I have had good luck on Craigslist but you get lots of tirekickers and low ballers. I think your price over $30k should be there next year. As others mentioned used car prices are up or stable in certain cars, but keep in mind Porsches are a "want" car and not "need" car so you will need right buyer and this might take some time and patience
Old 07-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Sax Maniac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by balefire
Congrats on the 40th!
I wouldn't worry what you paid. It was the price your market could bear, and sounds like it is a pristine very low mile CPO 40th.
No worries here at all. My first Porsche and I am loving every second of every drive. :-) Honestly I think I would be happy had I paid asking price...this car is awesome.

Quick Reply: Price Check