Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ok, whats it worth? 996 Millennium C4 with enhancements.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts
Default Ok, whats it worth? 996 Millennium C4 with enhancements.

Guys,
This one will be quite difficult to value fairly, so I need your help. The car has every option available in 2000 to include Navigation, hence the 89,000.00 original sticker price, and I still have the window sticker. If its a Porsche option, this car has it!

This car has been my Wife's daily driver for a couple of years, but I have driven it a lot as well. My wife has vein issues with her left leg and driving the car has become not too much fun for her, so I decided to build up a 99 C2 tip for her, and the Millennium needs to go to a new home.

Now, I am not a fan of the original look of the Millennium, so we decided to make this car a bit different. I believe that what we have done to the car will make it more desireous than the original look, especially the wheels and the interior.

Interior:
We removed the original faux wood trim from the door panels and steering wheel and replaced them with plain black units, which added a nice contrast to the car. The front seats needed attention, so after 3 months of looking we finally found the original leather to carry this out. To keep the same "black and tan" concept we used black leather to make custom perforated inserts in the seats and the results were much better than original.

Exterior:
The original chrome finished wheels were hideously ugly and were flaking. I decided to have them completely refinished at a price tag of 1600 bucks, 300 of which was required to correctly remove the hideous chrome finish. The wheels were powdercoated with the factory, non chrome tone and new matching center caps were installed.

The car had all highway miles, mostly in Texas, so the front bumper and hood had its share of rock chips. I had my paint shop refinish these in the proper Violet Chromaflair paint and they match perfectly. I then had the car detailed and other than one small door ding on the passenger door, the body is perfect.

Mechanically:

I bought this car with a broken engine a couple of years ago. I prepared one of our "CPO" engines for it and applied all of our Flat 6 and LN upgrades. The engine was not rebuilt, but the following was carried out:
-LN Engineering IMS Bearing retrofit
-new RMS
-new OEM Clutch kit
-new OEM water pump
-new AOS
-new LN Engineering low temp thermostat

The engine runs great, less than 1K miles ago we pulled the IMS Bearing to inspect it and it was perfect, at that time I ended up also replacing the RMS with the most recent OEM unit. This bearing was one of our earliest retrofits and I wanted to check up on it, and seralize it before the car left my hands.
The sump plate was also removed and inspected and the engine has been part of our used oil analysis testing since the first oil service under our ownership. The most recent oil analysis looked great.

This engine needs nothing, we have always serviced it with our "Flat 6 Oil" and have kept it serviced every 5K miles at maximum. The service was just carried out 1K miles ago when we checked the IMS Bearing, sump plate and etc.

These things have been done to the rest of the car:
-New Porsche C4 transaxle 35K miles ago
-New OEM brakes less than 1K miles ago
-New Bilstein shocks and struts less than 1K miles ago
-Sumotomo HTZR III tires less than 1K miles ago
-Refinished, powdercoated wheels less than 1K miles ago
-Custom leather seats recovered less than two weeks ago (at an outrageous price tag!)
-Flat 6 Innovations IMS Guardian Engine Failure Setection System installed (This is one of our test vehicles for the IMSG, and I have not decided to leave the unit in the car or not for sure yet)
-Fresh paint on the front bumper and hood, less than one month ago

I did all the work to this car for my Wife's Anniversary gift, but she broke the news to me that she simply can't continue driving it and would rather have a Tip. I recently purchased one that she fell in love with and I am in the process of building up a 3.4>3.6 big bore FSI engine for it now. I went ahead and finished the seats and etc to add with the sale. The good thing is the Millennium needs nothing and can be sold to a new buyer with confidence, I even replaced the stupid litle things like the sunroof switch that sometimes acted up.

The car does have high mileage at 126K, however all the primary mechanicals replaced or updated within the last 35K miles. The car does not show the wear and tear of a 126K mile Porsche and its nicer than most 50K mile Porsches that come to our facility for our services.

So thats the story. Clean Carfax, never crashed, no hidden mysteries.

I see new Porsche buyers getting taken advantage of with these cars all the time and would never want to do that and can't risk my reputation in the Porsche world with the sale of a less than advertised car.

I don't expect the fact that this car is a "Millennium" to add any value to it, even though its the most rare of all "normal" 996 models produced. I would expect the options that the car has to increase the value a bit and would hope that the more tasteful interior and wheels will captivate interested parties a bit more than the God-Awful Millennium factory equipment. I'd also expect the fact that the engine has been updated would add some value to a buyer that understands what these engines need.

Based on these things what do you feel the car is worth? I do have a lot in the most recent enhancements, but don't expect to be compensated for these things dollar for dollar and feel the majority of them were required to be able to honestly sell the car.

You tell me.. When I sold my track car last year you guys pinned the price to the dollar and it sold in 3 days. I hope that happens again because I HATE having to advertise cars for sale!

Here are the pics. I still need to install the black shift boot and shift handle as well as the black E brake accent pieces, the crappy faux wood is still included in these pictures!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Guys,
This one will be quite difficult to value fairly, so I need your help. The car has every option available in 2000 to include Navigation, hence the 89,000.00 original sticker price, and I still have the window sticker. If its a Porsche option, this car has it!

This car has been my Wife's daily driver for a couple of years, but I have driven it a lot as well. My wife has vein issues with her left leg and driving the car has become not too much fun for her, so I decided to build up a 99 C2 tip for her, and the Millennium needs to go to a new home.

Now, I am not a fan of the original look of the Millennium, so we decided to make this car a bit different. I believe that what we have done to the car will make it more desireous than the original look, especially the wheels and the interior.

Interior:
We removed the original faux wood trim from the door panels and steering wheel and replaced them with plain black units, which added a nice contrast to the car. The front seats needed attention, so after 3 months of looking we finally found the original leather to carry this out. To keep the same "black and tan" concept we used black leather to make custom perforated inserts in the seats and the results were much better than original.

Exterior:
The original chrome finished wheels were hideously ugly and were flaking. I decided to have them completely refinished at a price tag of 1600 bucks, 300 of which was required to correctly remove the hideous chrome finish. The wheels were powdercoated with the factory, non chrome tone and new matching center caps were installed.

The car had all highway miles, mostly in Texas, so the front bumper and hood had its share of rock chips. I had my paint shop refinish these in the proper Violet Chromaflair paint and they match perfectly. I then had the car detailed and other than one small door ding on the passenger door, the body is perfect.

Mechanically:

I bought this car with a broken engine a couple of years ago. I prepared one of our "CPO" engines for it and applied all of our Flat 6 and LN upgrades. The engine was not rebuilt, but the following was carried out:
-LN Engineering IMS Bearing retrofit
-new RMS
-new OEM Clutch kit
-new OEM water pump
-new AOS
-new LN Engineering low temp thermostat

The engine runs great, less than 1K miles ago we pulled the IMS Bearing to inspect it and it was perfect, at that time I ended up also replacing the RMS with the most recent OEM unit. This bearing was one of our earliest retrofits and I wanted to check up on it, and seralize it before the car left my hands.
The sump plate was also removed and inspected and the engine has been part of our used oil analysis testing since the first oil service under our ownership. The most recent oil analysis looked great.

This engine needs nothing, we have always serviced it with our "Flat 6 Oil" and have kept it serviced every 5K miles at maximum. The service was just carried out 1K miles ago when we checked the IMS Bearing, sump plate and etc.

These things have been done to the rest of the car:
-New Porsche C4 transaxle 35K miles ago
-New OEM brakes less than 1K miles ago
-New Bilstein shocks and struts less than 1K miles ago
-Sumotomo HTZR III tires less than 1K miles ago
-Refinished, powdercoated wheels less than 1K miles ago
-Custom leather seats recovered less than two weeks ago (at an outrageous price tag!)
-Flat 6 Innovations IMS Guardian Engine Failure Setection System installed (This is one of our test vehicles for the IMSG, and I have not decided to leave the unit in the car or not for sure yet)
-Fresh paint on the front bumper and hood, less than one month ago

I did all the work to this car for my Wife's Anniversary gift, but she broke the news to me that she simply can't continue driving it and would rather have a Tip. I recently purchased one that she fell in love with and I am in the process of building up a 3.4>3.6 big bore FSI engine for it now. I went ahead and finished the seats and etc to add with the sale. The good thing is the Millennium needs nothing and can be sold to a new buyer with confidence, I even replaced the stupid litle things like the sunroof switch that sometimes acted up.

The car does have high mileage at 126K, however all the primary mechanicals replaced or updated within the last 35K miles. The car does not show the wear and tear of a 126K mile Porsche and its nicer than most 50K mile Porsches that come to our facility for our services.

So thats the story. Clean Carfax, never crashed, no hidden mysteries.

I see new Porsche buyers getting taken advantage of with these cars all the time and would never want to do that and can't risk my reputation in the Porsche world with the sale of a less than advertised car.

I don't expect the fact that this car is a "Millennium" to add any value to it, even though its the most rare of all "normal" 996 models produced. I would expect the options that the car has to increase the value a bit and would hope that the more tasteful interior and wheels will captivate interested parties a bit more than the God-Awful Millennium factory equipment. I'd also expect the fact that the engine has been updated would add some value to a buyer that understands what these engines need.

Based on these things what do you feel the car is worth? I do have a lot in the most recent enhancements, but don't expect to be compensated for these things dollar for dollar and feel the majority of them were required to be able to honestly sell the car.

You tell me.. When I sold my track car last year you guys pinned the price to the dollar and it sold in 3 days. I hope that happens again because I HATE having to advertise cars for sale!

Here are the pics. I still need to install the black shift boot and shift handle as well as the black E brake accent pieces, the crappy faux wood is still included in these pictures!

Where the H E double hockey sticks were you 2 months ago!!! This is the color combo I wanted. Love the one I have though Oh well... GLWS.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Its definitely a unique contrast and it takes a certain person to appreciate it.. Thats one reason why I am so up in the air about what its worth.

Two months ago I was trying to make my mind up about what to do with the car. This year I have been driving more of my old cars and want to get my 356 Outlaw finished ASAP!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I follow the market pretty closely and I think it would sell for about $20k. Without the history, with that high milage, closer to $16k. However, if you find a sophisticated buyer who appreciates all the work that has been done I would think you could get about $20k-21k. I don't see more than that though. Just my opinion and I am certainly not an expert. You could always throw it on Ebay, with a high reserve, just to see what kind of action you get.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I appreciate that.. The number I had in my head was 22K, so it looks like I wasn't too far off. I may put it on Ebay, but I REALLY dislike selling cars and Ebay is about the worst place to interface with folks that are looking for something perfect, but not willing to pay for it.

I think the car was worth 20K before I did so much to it 1K miles ago, then I would have taken 20 for it, now I believe the right person will appreciate what has been done and compensate me for selling them a good car without gripes, not needing an IMS Retrofit or other items carried out.
Any more insight, fellas?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

with the upgrades and condition, your car would make an excellent DD to the next buyer, IMO, I think it would be priced for a quick sale for no less than $20K also. GLWS
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd wait until after you win the Nobel Prize for Engineering, put her up for bid at Christie's or Sotheby's and wait for Ralph Lauren to start bidding .
Old 06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

+1. At $20K, you will be asking the same for the car below. This car below may need suspension and Brakes which adds up to $20K. Keep in mind the next owner will be using this car as a daily or build a track car. You need to ask what will it be worth to the new owner in that function?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...new-motor.html

I will be dropping my engine on my car later this year and go through it as you have. It will cost me around $5K. If I sell it within the next two years, I don't see it fetching more than $20K and will not see a penny of the work above back. It will only give the next owner a piece of mind on buying a high mile pcar; any model for that matter 996, 993, 964 or 997.

GLWTS!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

$20k was the first number that popped into my head as well.
However, if someone asked me about the car, given what you have done, I would pay $22k all day long for it.

You said the engine was broken but it wasn't rebuilt. What was the issue?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree at 20-22k. You might even be able to sell it quickly at $22k+ if you offered some sort of warranty on it(drivetrain wise maybe?). This would put potential owners that originally were scared off by high mileage vehicles to reconsider.

my $.02
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I am sure a warranty would make it more valuable, but I won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. The only thing I warranty engine wise is something we have completely reconstructed and have eliminated the modes of failure from. The warranty deal draws a crowd that I'd rather not deal with, even at a higher cost.

The previous engine was not able to be saved, we used it to add to our core bank of parts. The CPO engine that I installed with the updates had 55K miles on it when that work was done.

The engine is super strong, I'll dyno the car in the next couple of days and post those graphs when I list it for sale. I'd take 20K for the car more than likely, but that would be the bottom dollar.

I see cars come through here all the time with 1/3 the miles that aren't as clean and well optioned as this one.. Most of them are here because someone didn't apply the upgrades that this engine already has, we don't see cars that aren't seriously broken!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Jake, I have had great luck selling my cars on ebay, including a 99 996 that I rebuilt after an engine fire. You can set the reserve at $20,000 and be pleasantly surprised by anything over that amount. That way, you won't be left wondering if you could have sold it for more. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I am sure a warranty would make it more valuable, but I won't touch that with a 10 foot pole. The only thing I warranty engine wise is something we have completely reconstructed and have eliminated the modes of failure from. The warranty deal draws a crowd that I'd rather not deal with, even at a higher cost.
Fully understand where you're coming from. If you can hold out and don't need to sell it right away, I would personally hold out for the $22k figure. I know there are people out there that would pay extra for the millenium edition in addition to the aforementioned maintenance and preventative items. Not to mention that Flat6 will be a household name soon once all the advertisements hit the magazines.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I believe that I'll advertise the car for 21,750.00 and see where that ends up at..
I wasn't too far off from what you guys are telling me that you think its worth..

I'll post it for sale first here on RL, then do craigslist and use Ebay as a last resort.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
mjh1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advertise it in Canada (Auto Trader) you could list it for a lot more, our dollar is higher right now and people (like me) purchase out of the U.S. all the time, not as many of them here and there fore they are priced higher.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok, whats it worth? 996 Millennium C4 with enhancements.