996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine stumble on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Regarding the transmission leak... My Turbo's tranmission (6-speed) developed a leak around a selector shaft seal and the short version of the story is the old leaking transmission was removed and replaced with a factory supplied new (remanufactured) transmission. Not only did the 'new' transmission not leak -- and has remained fluid tight in more miles than the original one -- the 'new' transmission shifts better than the original one.

It may be different for your car but under warranty the leaking transmission may not be fixed at the dealer, it may be replaced.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Given two injectors were bad I would suspect more than 2 are bad and replace all 6 with new injectors. However, the dealer is handicapped in that it can't just throw parts at the symptom, it must adhere to whatever guidelines the factory has in place to justify the injectors' replacement.

I mean you have eliminated just about everything else and that the symptom was cured albeit temporarily by replacing 2 suspected injectors, but all this means now is that the 2 worst injectors have been replaced and this gives the next worst injector or injectors a chance to act up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See, that's what happened.

He had misfires on 2 and 4. Swapped those injectors for 3 and 5. Misfires moved to 3 and 5. So he figured the injectors were bad and replaced them.

However, problem is still there.

As for the coilpacks. That would be nice to know...unfortunately, the dealer I bought the car from (across the country) never told me which coil packs they changed. Nor did they provide a service history they said they would, etc, etc.

No, the dealer just took the transmission apart and fixed the seal. At least, that's what the service writeup says.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Sean, i have maybe the answer to your cold start stumble. I was having same problem and yesterday i installed all new coil packs. I waited for this morning to verify problem resolved because forst start of the day usually the worst and i just came in from doing that.............started right up and rpm immediately went to just a tad over 1000rpm..........smooooooooth smooooooth smooooooth no stumble whatsoever!!!! I think you'll solve yours too changing them out, Good Luck and let us know.

Tim
Old 10-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's good news Tim, hopefully replacing coil packs will eliminate Sean's problem as well since the injectors didn't.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:56 AM
tbanasiak
Instructor

I sure hope so cause he's been round and round with the dealer. I thought about it and for mine, I first acquired the car in may this year, very hot temps and no issues but then it started to cool down @ a month ago hence more moisture in the air. That's about when the problem presented itself. When I changed out the spark plugs I inspected the coil packs and 4 of them had fine hairline cracks. So after reading and deducing moisture now with cooler temps was invading the coil packs common sense for me was change them all cause they looked like the original ones still and besides better to do all at once then piece-meal a few. What a difference it made! So I guess I was on to something afterall with my reasoning cause she's purring like a kitten again.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

When I first purchased my car, 5 years or so ago, I had a slight stumble when idling. The misfires were only on two cylinders, but as soon as I replaced those coil packs the stumble moved to two other cylinders. I couldn't find any cracks on the coilpacks, but I replaced all six. This resolved the problem and it's been five years with no issue. If you don't have a way to read the misfires I'd start by getting yourself something. That should help you track down which coilpacks are old. If nothing else I'd start with #2 and #4 based on the mechanics original findings. Worst case scenario you replace all six for ~$360 and move on with your life.

-Shawn

PS--I just realized you could probably pull the plugs and figure out where the misfire is as well. I didn't look back through the thread, but didn't you have two plugs that were wet with unburnt fuel? Sounds like a cylinder not firing....
Old 11-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Stevenkoh08
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi seanmcr6

For your vehicle to encounter such stumble during only cold start only in the morning is basically two things you need to check:

Firstly- check for a confirm air leak in hoses if there's if not then I'll narrow down to intake manifold gasket.

Secondly- do a re- learn process for your issue remove the negative terminal on your battery and allow it to rest for 10mins or so, there after step on the brake for afew time before reconnect back your terminal on the batt. And before you start the engine operate all the electrical equip and accessory in full round of operation including power window(in key on position), from this stage start your engine and let it idle at least 10 min. If you encounter engine stall just loosen your trottle sensor screw and do a slight adjustment clockwise or anticlockwise. And start again till it idle.

At time you'll face engine idle too high which is normal cause of the trottle sensor was being adjusted. Just do an re-adjusted till it idle go back to normal.

Hope this help you
Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 AM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Well here is my update to my cold start issue. After replacing a while ack all coil packs, plugs, tubes it seemed fine. Then it started again but not as bad. The other day I was using my durametric farting around and afterwards thought why am I still getting this stumble. Long story short I thought maye the TB removed before for cleaning and not properly tightend. So out with a 10mm socket and sure enough each bolt needed tightened. Every time I start it now it is rock solid and instantly goes to @1100 rpm. No more dipping to @700-800 and stumble.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice to find out that sometimes it's the simple things that can cause a problem. Good troubleshooting on your part.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:17 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevenkoh08
Firstly- check for a confirm air leak in hoses if there's if not then I'll narrow down to intake manifold gasket.
Several posts ago.... his car was at the dealer for quite a while several times an they've already fixed many if not all of the intake leaks. More could still be present I suppose...

Originally Posted by msalamza996
Secondly- do a re- learn process for your issue remove the negative terminal on your battery
He's done this as well already several posts ago.

Originally Posted by msalamza996
If you encounter engine stall just loosen your trottle sensor screw and do a slight adjustment clockwise or anticlockwise
Huh? Could you elaborate a little more, he has a 2004 e-gas car.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barn996
Nice to find out that sometimes it's the simple things that can cause a problem. Good troubleshooting on your part.
Absolutely and thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Stevenkoh08
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh one more thing is that do check on your injector as well which I suppose you've done so, but just to be sure.
By the way intake manifold gasket leak is something can't be determine but one dismantle replace is needed.
This is what I've done on my and indeed it does really solve all my issue just like wat you've there.
My issue was at early morning cold start at engine temp less than 30 it ramp up to 1200 and within 1-2s it start to stumble and the iac valve start to kept on self adjusting so it cause the engine to stumble, and the injector Also spraying different pluse of fuel timing which also the cause of stumble.
But once it warm up to around 60 everything is back to normal for the rest of the day, I've been trying to tackle this problem for about a mth and finally it solved.
By the way about my background: I've been working in automotive trade for 18yrs from a technician to an technical supervisor trainer.
BMW, Volvo, VW, Benz, bentley, jaguar, Cheryl, Reanult
Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't seen Sean here in a while but I read an interesting possible solution to this.

Try a tank of lower octane gas, perhaps mid or even low grade.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess a loose throttle body is a vacume leak

Oops !!! I wonder if the porsches have a gasket that has to be oriented correctly for thermal insulation. What kind of gasket was it if any?

Quick Reply: Engine stumble on cold start