Sponsored by:

Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
Ok so here is the link to the FVD cams for a 3.4 996.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...pc-Set%29.html

I'm thinking only $2,779.11 plus shipping, another couple of grand for the install (unless I do it myself), then a reflash for $1,000+ and I can have a car that runs crappy. Hummmm! Tempting
For his install I am guessing that the new modified DME Map is included in the purchase kit price. FVD custom tunes my SC by sending me modified maps to install myself via Laptop. They also can determine Eng Perf by sending them Durametric data Excel spreadsheets to scrutinize.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you tune them Jake?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jake sells performance cams as well according to his site:

http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop/home.php?cat=321
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not being an expert with the durametric, see if you can diagnose valve performance. Fresh ground cams like performance cams have to be broken in with something like 5 minutes of rpm's above 3,000 with the cam lube on the bearing surfaces of the cam especially the lobes that need breaking in. In other words if the guy doing the cam swap didn't know the proper cam break in there is a chance the cam has a flattened lobe which screws performance. Whatever reading bad lobes might give for this cars ECU it might cause the throttle to cut back. I also figure the cam swap package included new lifters instead of putting old lifters in contact with a new cam lobe to screw up?

The higher rpms break in for a cam is from the get go on the first firing up. Working with chevy engines it could be just a couple minutes of low rpm wasting a cam not doing the straight to higher rpms on the first start. The engine has to be left in the higher rpms for a good length of time.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Not being an expert with the durametric, see if you can diagnose valve performance. Fresh ground cams like performance cams have to be broken in with something like 5 minutes of rpm's above 3,000 with the cam lube on the bearing surfaces of the cam especially the lobes that need breaking in. In other words if the guy doing the cam swap didn't know the proper cam break in there is a chance the cam has a flattened lobe which screws performance. Whatever reading bad lobes might give for this cars ECU it might cause the throttle to cut back. I also figure the cam swap package included new lifters instead of putting old lifters in contact with a new cam lobe to screw up?

The higher rpms break in for a cam is from the get go on the first firing up. Working with chevy engines it could be just a couple minutes of low rpm wasting a cam not doing the straight to higher rpms on the first start. The engine has to be left in the higher rpms for a good length of time.
I agree.. But this doesn't sound like a failure, it sounds like the cams are allowing the engine to breate at a rate that the ECU is not tuned to, which is very common.

When replacing camshafts the lifters must be replaced, hopefully with units that are ground to meet the lobe taper thats being utilized. The opther dynamic that must be considered is force thats being exerted on the lifter carrier that is higher than previously with a stock ramp speed from a stock camshaft profile. This vastly changes the surface speed of the lifter.

Changing camshafts isn't a simple enhancement when done thoroughly.

Quick Reply: Engine problem