996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a car with 8 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion there are way too many P-cars out there to be impatient. I know with my last used car search I was extremely patient and found an incredible car that was 3 years old with 12,000 miles on it, exact colors I wanted, in perfect condition, and I paid less than comparable cars with 3 times the mileage. BE PATIENT! When you find the car you will know and it will be easy to pull the trigger!
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM
nittanyguy1
Advanced

I agree with the comment that one owner may be showing up as multiple owners. Had a car I bought new in PA from a dealer friend of mine while I lived in Ohio. Registered in Ohio. Later moved back to PA, re-registered in PA. So, my carfax on my one owner car turned up 2 owners PA (dealership, than me), another owner when I registered it in Ohio, and another when I registered it again when I moved back to PA. 4 Owners in one year.

Someone just glancing at this would think the car was a lemon just being passed from owner to owner. Thankfully, I traded it in on another car, so no worries about questions from an off the street buyer.
Ethan
Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I think a detailed look at the Carfax for ownership and timelines is needed. I know some people have pointed out the title changes when a leased car is purchased at the end of the lease. However, the other contributing factor are curbers. People who buy cars at auction or otherwise and flip them for profit. If you see ownerships for less than 4 or 5 months that could be a flipper and not really a true owner.

Having said that, it's not actually a good thing. These guys typically put no money into the car and drive it around knowing it'll be gone in a few months. It also means that they probably got it at a steep enough discount to flip for a profit.

Now that could be just an owner in financial distress, or it could be something wrong with the vehicle.

And yes, CarFax is useless for accident identification. If it SHOWS an accident, then it's useful information. If it does NOT show an accident, that does not mean it's accident free.

Let me tell you my story with Carfax:

I had an older 2006 BMW a couple of years back. I got hit by a guy who ran the light. About $10K in damage to the rear driver side area. By the way, it sounds like a lot but if you looked at it, you'd barely see the damage. I guess it's the cost of BMW parts.

Regardless, after it got fixed, the car never did drive the same at speed so I traded it in. By this time, the CarFax already showed the police report filing online (I checked before I traded it in). Looked at a few cars from Lexus, Audi and BMW dealerships. They saw the incident on my CarFax as well.

Now, here's where it gets interesting:

I finally pick a car and trade in the old BMW. I recall when they evaluated my trade, they took a lot of photos of the side which was hit. I thought it was odd at the time but just assumed they wanted to farm out the trade to "Uncle Al's Used Cars" or something and was emailing the photos.

Two days after, I see the car advertised on their own website. The Carfax is clean. No entry for the Police Report at all. I couldn't believe it. I guess I know where the photos were sent now.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

I'll bet she's had more than eight owners and still worth alot !
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Would you marry someone who had had eight previous spouses?
Nuf said.

relinuca
Old 06-19-2011, 01:58 PM
shannah1806
Track Day

You can't go by the owner count alone. Look at the Carfax and see what it tells you. The bottom line is to review the maintenance records and get a good PPI. You can have a very well maintained and solid 8 owner car and you can have a real lemon with just a couple previous owners. My 99 C2 had 8 previous owners. It is solid and tight. The engine was replaced in 2006 (IMS) at a dealer, all paperwork available when I bought it. The previous owner was a fanatic and really took care of things. That is probably the most important thing to look for. Buy it from someone who had it for a while and took care of it. I had a thorough PPI and the tech couldn't believe how great the car was. I love it, its really a fantastic car and I still can't believe what I paid for it.

As with any used car purchase, make sure you have enough left in your piggy bank to do the repairs that it will require. Doesn't matter how many people owned it, you will be dealing with repairs.

If its solid and strong then buy it.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
I'll bet she's had more than eight owners and still worth alot !
How do you know, are you the one who did the PPI?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Maybe...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03911TT
8 owners sounds scary, but sometimes the carfax reports can be a bit misleading in that regard. These cars are sometimes leased in company names and then transferred to the owner (purely a paperwork exercise), state to state relocation, or quickly pass through an auction house, etc... I did some research on a vehicle that appeared to have had 8 owners and found it truly had 3. That said, it's all about the records and what a complete PPI tells you...
my carfax on a recent car I owned said it had 3 owners when I purchased it myself and was the sole owner. It was exactly as stated, when I moved to another state it counted as a different owner.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM
cdaniels
Racer

NO...1 or 2 owners but 8 owners means it changed hands about every 14 months.....I would not buy it.........

Originally Posted by mikes_996
Looking at getting back into a 996 and am thinking of getting a cab versus a coupe as I can always pick up a hardtop. Found a nice low milage 2000 cab with low miles but it has had eight owners. Nicely optioned but will need to have the top replaced. What do you guys think of 8 owners...

Quick Reply: Would you buy a car with 8 owners?