Sponsored by:

did i do the impossible???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
achtung911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts
Default did i do the impossible???

ok so the story starts out with me having my H&R lowering spings sitting in my house for about a year now. I finally got the drive to install the things, after searching i could only find one write-up on removing the suspension. My friend and i looked over the car and after figuring out that all i had to do was lift up on the carpet to reveal the rear strut mounts, the job seamed pretty easy, and it would have been if i could have taken the wheels off.....

so the front went on like a charm, the wheel came off perfect and 10 min later i had on a new spring! as I went to do the passenger front, i started to losen the lug bolts when my wheel lock key shattered. already having one corner of the car done I really didnt want to roll around crooked so my friend and i ended up lowering the car without taking the wheels off, and amazingly my alignment isnt too far off. I took the car to sunset, had them remove all the keys and put regular lugs in there place. I really dont want to go through that ordeal ever again.

before

Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  76.0 KB

AFTER
Name:  IMG_0211.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  71.7 KB
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 188 Posts

Nice work. I installed wheel spacers so my lock bolts have been gone a long time. I haven't missed them. Nice to see your car at the proper ride height.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 PM
achtung911
Racer

how much did you space? im thinking 15mil...
Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I really love the look of a 911 that sits lower on its wheels/tires. Let me know your thoughts about how it handles is it different. I know there would be less body roll, but would be interested on your feedback. Good luck and enjoy the miles .
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by achtung911
how much did you space? im thinking 15mil...
15 rear, 7 front. H&R spacers. An inexpensive and very simple mod. Along with lowering the car, spacers really make a 996 look more aggressive.

You probably know with the lower ride height you have to be more careful with parking lot and driveway curbs! If your new springs are stiffer you may find your brakes get into the ABS more quickly on rough pavement. It wouldn't hurt to practice a little to have that knowledge if you need to panic stop some time. Enjoy!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:29 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How's it ride vs stock? I am contemplating X74 but this would be a heck of a lot cheaper
Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 AM
achtung911
Racer

im very experienced with low cars, actually this car still sits really high compared to my last car. the car handles much better! slides easier tho. definitely looks better!

my old car 2001 BMW 330i zsp
Name:  4986_94612357450_509442450_1839296_6662762_n.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  46.0 KB
Old 06-12-2011, 12:36 AM
achtung911
Racer

i got my H&R for $275 and i love them
Old 06-12-2011, 03:20 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great with new ride height
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job!

Question for the masses: What do people do when they want to maintain a daily driver car (not so low I can't get into driveways or over speed bumps) but they are interested in improving the handling?

Just springs on stock dampeners, springs and dampeners, coilovers, or nothing and take it as is?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by michael_l
Good job!

Question for the masses: What do people do when they want to maintain a daily driver car (not so low I can't get into driveways or over speed bumps) but they are interested in improving the handling?

Just springs on stock dampeners, springs and dampeners, coilovers, or nothing and take it as is?
The first 10 years of my 996's life, it rode on TechArt lowered springs with all stock shocks and antisway bars. The car looked really aggressive, and the lowering was a major handling improvement, particularly at the track. But as stated above, you have to be constantly vigilant about what you drive over: speed bumps, driveway approach angles, cirgarette butts, etc. After a decade, I just got tired of the harsh ride, and the constant bottoming on the chin spoiler.

My solution was to install a complete M030 RoW suspension system. The kit includes sport shocks, thicker sway bars, and springs that are about an inch shorter than stock springs, engineered and fully sorted out by the Porsche factory for the 996. This actually raised the car about 3/4" over the TechArt springs and completely ended the vast majority of ride-height issues. I also massively transformed the car from a harsh low-rider, to a smooth and superb handling street and track car. Although the center of gravity is now a tiny bit higher, it is worlds smoother and sharper on both road and track. It is a total delight. And the whole system can be purchased complete for around $1000.
I am not an automotive suspension engineer, so I don't buy adjustable drop links and PSS9/10 adjustible struts, because I haven't a clue how to properly adjust them myself. I am certain that the suspension would handle terribly if I tried to make adjustments simply by the butt-dyno. And I haven't a clue about doing a proper alignment.
So I got a complete suspension system, already figured out, with one ideal set-up that does both road and track, for easy money. I had my favorite and trusted folks do the install and alignment. I have had it on the car for almost a year now, and the smile never ends.

And if you do a Search in this forum under M030 RoW you will see my thread from last fall and comparison pictures of the TechArt springs (before) vs the M030 RoW springs (after), and a write-up.

However, you are welcome to my 4 TechArt springs for $100 plus shipping (they are a heavy item to ship).

Last edited by Thundertub; 06-13-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thundertub
The first 10 yearts of my 996's life, it road on TechArt lowered springs with all stock shocks and antisway bars. The car look really aggressive, and the lowering was a major handling improvement, particularly at the track. But as stated above, you have to be constantly vigilant about what you drive over: speed bumps, driveway approach angles, cirgarette butts, etc. After a decade, I just got tired of the harsh ride, and the constant bottoming in the chin spoiler.

My solution was to install a complete M030 ROW suspension system. The kit includes sport shocks, thicker sway bars, and springs that are about an inch shorted than stock springs, engineered and fully sorted out by the Porsche factory for the 996. This actually raised the car about 3/4" and completely ended the vast majority of ride-height issues. I also massively transformed the car from a harsh low-rider, to a smooth and superb handling street and track car. Although the center of gravity is now a tiny bit higher, it is worlds smoother and sharper on both road and track. It is a total delight. And the whole system can be purchased complete for around $1000.
I am not an automotive suspension engineer, so I don't buy adjustable drop links and PSS9/10 adjustible struts, because I haven't a clue how to properly adjust them myself. I am certain that the suspension would handle terribly if I tried to make adjustments simply by the butt-dyno. And I haven't a clue about doing a proper alignment.
So I got a complete suspension system, already figured out, with one ideal set up that does both road and track, for easy money. I had my favorite and trusted folks do the install and alignment. I have had it on the car now for almost a year now, and the smile never ends.

And if you do a Search in this forum under M030 ROW you will see my thread from last fall and comparison pictures of the TechArt springs (before) vs the M030 ROW springs (after), and a write up.

However, you are welcome to my 4 TechArt springs for $100 plus shipping (they are a heavy item to ship).
Awesome reply. Thanks for all the info and help.

Is the M030 suspension the same one that came on the 40th Anniversary? I test drove that model and enjoyed it. Definitely handled a bit better and wasn't overly harsh at all.

I will have to look into this - I don't think plain old springs on the stock struts is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the offer though!

Michael
Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

The 40th Anniversay suspension uses springs that are taller than the M030 RoW because we have headlight minimum height standards here in North America that Porsche has to meet to import their cars. That is why stock cars sit so high to begin with. In most of the rest of the world that headlight height restriction does not apply, hence the RoW (Rest of World) designation.
That applies in Germany as well. No headlight height restrictions.

So when Porsche engineers suspensions for the "standard" cars, they first make it ideal for Germans, then make a sportier version of that (M030 RoW), then make another pair of suspensions for North America where the springs are much taller. This, of course, makes changes to all of the suspension pieces and alignment settings, so that they will work better together at these different height and connecting angles.

So even the NA (North American) M030 is actually still taller than the M030 RoW, and the alignment settings are different. My preference was to go with the sportiest streetable suspension that was originally completely engineered for Germany, since Porsche would have originally optimized the cars engineering for that suspension.
Everything else after that is just a compromise to meet local (i.e. NA) requirements. The X74 suspension was designed for the GT3 version of the 996. Since we didn't get the GT3 for many years, the X-74 suspension was offered as an option later on. Cars ordered with the X74 suspension for NA still had to meet headlight ride height laws.

I drive GT3's and GT3RS's at the track. Those cars are optimized for track experiences. But they are a real stretch for true daily drivers, although they certainly can be. On the other end of the spectrum, I would say that the stock NA suspension is the softest and least sporting of all the choices. Porsche Cars North America requested softer, smoother ride settings of springs, shocks, and antisway bars for all cars coming to America because their marketing folks determined they would sell more Porsches to Americans who have grown accustomed to being soft and flabby-assed.

In my personal opinion, the X74 is excellent for the total track junkie who does not use his car primarily for daily transportation or long distance cruising (other than to track events). I personally believe that the M030 RoW suspension is the ultimate dual purpose suspension for the enthusiast and the commuter.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thundertub
The 40th Anniversay suspension uses springs that are taller than the M030 RoW because we have headlight minimum height standards here in North America that Porsche has to meet to import their cars. That is why stock cars sit so high to begin with. In most of the rest of the world that headlight height restriction does not apply, hence the RoW (Rest of World) designation.
That applies in Germany as well. No headlight height restrictions.

So when Porsche engineers suspensions for the "standard" cars, they first make it ideal for Germans, then make a sportier version of that (M030 RoW), then make another pair of suspensions for North America where the springs are much taller. This, of course, makes changes to all of the suspension pieces and alignment settings, so that they will work better together at these different height and connecting angles.

So even the NA (North American) M030 is actually still taller than the M030 RoW, and the alignment settings are different. My preference was to go with the sportiest streetable suspension that was originally completely engineered for Germany, since Porsche would have originally optimized the cars engineering for that suspension.
Everything else after that is just a compromise to meet local (i.e. NA) requirements. The X74 suspension was designed for the GT3 version of the 996. Since we didn't get the GT3 for many years, the X-74 suspension was offered as an option later on. Cars ordered with the X74 suspension for NA still had to meet headlight ride height laws.

I drive GT3's and GT3RS's at the track. Those cars are optimized for track experiences. But they are a real stretch for true daily drivers, although they certainly can be. On the other end of the spectrum, I would say that the stock NA suspension is the softest and least sporting of all the choices. Porsche Cars North America requested softer, smoother ride settings of springs, shocks, and antisway bars for all cars coming to America because their marketing folks determined they would sell more Porsches to Americans who have grown accustomed to being soft and flabby-assed.

In my personal opinion, the X74 is excellent for the total track junkie who does not use his car primarily for daily transportation or long distance cruising (other than to track events). I personally believe that the M030 RoW suspension is the ultimate dual purpose suspension for the enthusiast and the commuter.
This was exactly what I needed. Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like an M030 RoW might eventually be in my future. I'm not planning on tracking more than one weekend a year at this point in life, so I really don't think anything more aggressive is the way to go.

Quick Reply: did i do the impossible???