Sponsored by:

GPS/Nav in Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS/Nav in Dash

I pulled out the tray and the CD holder, made a faceplate out of clear plexiglass and matched the black texture of the radio exactly, mounted a new TomTom VIA 1435TM and an iPod Nano. Wiring of the TomTom is from behind and completely concealed, the unit has bluetooth, loads my iPhone phonebook automatically, reads texts to me as they come in, has lifetime updates for traffic, maps, traffic cameras and works like a charm, I'm really impressed with it. I also had a sub added in the rear deck this week to complete the lack of lows with the factory radio.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:22 PM
robert r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great install, very clean!
One question, what's that button down below? ejector seat?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:12 PM
white99c2
Racer

It turns on the iSimple iPod adapter.

http://isimplesolutions.com/
Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
michael_l
Instructor

That looks awesome. Simple, clean, cheap, and completely functional.

Plus when your GPS unit is out dated in a year or two, you can buy a new one and pop it in. Seems better than spending 2 grand for an integrated one in my opinion.

Good job, I like it!

Which iSimple product did you pick? I've overwhelmed by their choices, and looking for some simple iPod/iPhone integration into the existing CDR-23 head unit.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Peter 642
Racer

I have to ask; that looks fantastic and answers my concerns about moving my climate control to get the nav system installed; any chance you've got a step-by-step DIY for a newb like me, or via PM?
Would love to get a GPS with BT and an iPod in the car "easily."
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter 642
I have to ask; that looks fantastic and answers my concerns about moving my climate control to get the nav system installed; any chance you've got a step-by-step DIY for a newb like me, or via PM?
Would love to get a GPS with BT and an iPod in the car "easily."
I would not be concerned if you want to move your climate control to the bottom storage area, it's a factory location and the cable is long enough, all you need is the trim (under 10 bucks) and it takes 20 minutes at the most to move.

I did this when I installed a double din NAV/Radio

That install is very clean, well done!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Amazing work, looks very clean,
Old 06-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Marc,

I installed a double din NAV/Radio
PM sent on the specs; curious to think more about this. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks great - did you install a remote GPS antenna?
I have been thinking about doing the same.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 AM
white99c2
Racer

I didn't install a remote antenna. The unit finds the satellites pretty quickly, the power cord has a traffic receiver little box in it.

I installed a female cigarette adapter under the dash that is powered only with the key turned on. The TomTom power cord is plugged into that than routed to the location - really easy.

Pop out the CD tray and storage tray - even easier.

Now your looking at a nice big opening with a divider right in the middle of it. I made the face plate about a 1/4 of an inch wider than it needed to be so it would tuck in nicely behind the leather sides. The height top to bottom is an exact snug fit.

I used 1/8 inch clear plexi and spayed it with semi gloss black and sprayed it from about 8 or 9 inches away so the paint made a texture, 2 or 3 coats than spray a couple of low gloss clear coats again from the same distance so it textures and walla the texture looks exactly like the finish on the Becker radio.

As far as the iSimple goes, the only one that would work with the CDR210 is the Tranzit. Tune to 87.9 and flip the switch, radio static goes to dead silence and it works as good as any direct connect, crystal clear and dead silence in between tracks. The highs and lows are CD quality or better. I was shocked it sounds as good as it does.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by white99c2
I didn't install a remote antenna. The unit finds the satellites pretty quickly, the power cord has a traffic receiver little box in it.

I installed a female cigarette adapter under the dash that is powered only with the key turned on. The TomTom power cord is plugged into that than routed to the location - really easy.

Pop out the CD tray and storage tray - even easier.

Now your looking at a nice big opening with a divider right in the middle of it. I made the face plate about a 1/4 of an inch wider than it needed to be so it would tuck in nicely behind the leather sides. The height top to bottom is an exact snug fit.

I used 1/8 inch clear plexi and spayed it with semi gloss black and sprayed it from about 8 or 9 inches away so the paint made a texture, 2 or 3 coats than spray a couple of low gloss clear coats again from the same distance so it textures and walla the texture looks exactly like the finish on the Becker radio.

As far as the iSimple goes, the only one that would work with the CDR210 is the Tranzit. Tune to 87.9 and flip the switch, radio static goes to dead silence and it works as good as any direct connect, crystal clear and dead silence in between tracks. The highs and lows are CD quality or better. I was shocked it sounds as good as it does.

Thanks for the information.

Too bad you didn't do it as a DIY tutorial and document your work along the way. Seems easy enough though. Good clean install and easily fixed back to stock should you need to.

Quick Reply: GPS/Nav in Dash