Broken Door Handle

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Broken Door Handle

I went to open the driver's door this week...nothing. Well, the window went down the normal amount, but the latch didn't budge. Hmm. Roll down window and door opens from inside. OK.

This morning I remove the door panel and start to explore. There is a connecting piece between the handle and the latch that had come apart. It is hard to describe, and I never actually saw it, just felt with my hands. A threaded piece from the handle side attaches to a "half pipe" piece on the latch side. There is sliding piece on the half pipe side that holds it in place. Stupid design.

Total time +/- one hour. Next time, about 45 minutes.

Tech note: Rolling down the window allows you to open the door, but prevents access to the mechanism. I had to reconnect the battery to roll the window up.

Note 2: Do not attempt to remove the airbag cover with a plastic spatula per Loren's directions if you have leather. Unnecessary and destructive. He does say "plastic airbag cover", however.

At least I got my hands a little dirty.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

That happend to my Passenger Side door 3 years ago. Took it to the dealer (where i bought my car) they fixed it for Free. They seen it before but Rare Case
Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now my airbag light is on. Errrrrrrrr!.

Quick Reply: Broken Door Handle