Sponsored by:

turn signal woe

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default turn signal woe

Out of the blue this afternoon, as I was pulling away from a curb, my turn signal stalk would not lock into place when I tried to signal to the left.

I could hold the handle down, but it wouldn't, you know, click into place. I could feel it almost getting there, but not quite.

I forced it a but, muttered at it, and then ....OK there it went and then it behaved normally, except the turn signal doesn't cancel by itself.

Then I tried signaling right, and same thing, it wont lock into place.

I guess I'm taking the steering wheel off and have a look see some day soon. Hopefully I can fix it without having to buy a new part. That would mean reassembling, ordering the part, and the going through the whole thing again when the part actually arrives.

What a pain...anyone been through this yet?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:03 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem just appear - left turn doesn't stay down and right doesn't cancel by itself. Is there a spring turn signal virus up here or what ....? Happened to my truck too. Aaargh. PITA

Would also like to know if it's repairable ... or just replace?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:08 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billyboy
I had a similar problem just appear - left turn doesn't stay down and right doesn't cancel by itself. Is there a spring turn signal virus up here or what ....? Happened to my truck too. Aaargh. PITA

Would also like to know if it's repairable ... or just replace?
Weird that it just happened to you too....Maybe its a Vancouver thing?

When I do get to the fix I'll post back here with pics if applicable. Sounds like the exact same thing though.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 AM
billyboy
Racer

Thanks - I found this good video on how to take it all apart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hux78...eature=related
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 AM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

I JUST LOVE, LOVE THAT MUSIC!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:51 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Well that pretty much tells us everyting we need to know doesn't it? Thanks for that video.

.... and it wouldn't have made sense without the music.

Looking at the turn signal module it doesn't look very service-friendly. It may be possible, but logically it makes sense to get the new part in hand before you go tearing it all apart.

Loren over at Renntech responded to a similar post mid-last year by a 2002 996 C2 owner as follows:

"996.613.219.10.EWC steering column switch (w/cruise and OBC) -- US MSRP $276.54"

DC Automotive has a used one for $175. I saw LA dismantlers referenced in another post as having this part for $130. They don't have an on-line catalog though.

Tomorrow is a working day down south (day off here in Canada to celebrate the Queen's birthday)

I'll make some calls including to Sunset in Oregon.

Here's a diagram in the meantime:

Last edited by jasper; 09-16-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM
billyboy
Racer

I'm thinking a new one would be best. A used one or a repair may only last a year considering how much it's used. Thanks for the info and diagram Jasper.

I'll have to find out what that music is so that I can play it on a loop while I'm replacing the unit .... seems only fitting.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billyboy
I'm thinking a new one would be best. A used one or a repair may only last a year considering how much it's used. Thanks for the info and diagram Jasper.

I'll have to find out what that music is so that I can play it on a loop while I'm replacing the unit .... seems only fitting.
grmbl grmbl - yes you are right.

I might still take the gamble with a used part though. I'm that "thrifty".

I was thinking the same thing about the music, but since the battery is disconnected we'll have to rig up some sort of sound system in the carport. This job keeps getting more complicated.

And on that note, the video guy turned *on* the ignition and *then* disconnected the batery. I'd never considered or heard about disconnecting the battery with the ignition on.

Any idea why this was part of his procedure?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
billyboy
Racer

Apparently you have to turn the ignition on so the alarm doesn't go off and for some strange reason if you turn the ignition on while the airbag is disconnected, the airbag idiot light stays on after the install and it"s another procedure to shut it off ...

But Jasper - double click on the video and it will take you to Youtube. Under the video there is a line "How to replace the indicator and wiper switch assembly on a Porsche ..." and under that is a "Show more". Click that and there is a whole written description of the procedure including the tools required. I'm going to print this out as I don't have my iPad yet This guy sure enjoyed doing this .. and sharing it.

But the music, the music ... how to get the music to the garage .....
Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM
GNR996
Race Car

wow!! someone who actually uses a turn signal, who'd of thought!!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 AM
billyboy
Racer

Another Vancouverite! Hi Geoff. Like your Army.

My theory is that if you LOOK like you obey the law they leave you alone .....
Old 05-23-2011, 02:37 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

OK - Sunset Porsche out of Oregon has it for $192 but they won't ship to a US address if you're using a Canadian card. I called the manager to confirm this and sure enough, they think they have a problem with Canadians cancelling the order once its arrived.

Whatever.

Suncoast matched the price and it's on the way to Point Roberts.

Brand new, $192 plus $17 shipping.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I just replaced mine. Make sure you get the correct one. There are 2,3, and 4 stalk configurations. Mine is a four ( turn signal,computer, cc, and wiper) , Got mine at Sunset Porsche $192 I think. The lesser stalk ones are cheaper.

Last edited by dennis hiip; 05-23-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I just replaced mine. Make sure you get the correct one. There are 2,3, and 4 stalk configurations. Mine is a four ( turn signal,computer, cc, and wiper) , Got mine at Sunset Porsche $192 I think. The lesser stalk ones are cheaper.
Yep, top of my list of concerns. I double and triple checked the part number above against my 2002 with cruise and computer and it checked out.

I think all of the US models got cruise and OBC, but I wonder if you installed the four stalk unit onto a car which was not shipped with cruise and/or OBC if those functions would start working suddenly.

hhmm.

Oh well, that's my birthday gift money spent Was hoping to get some WEVO motor mounts with that.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 PM
billyboy
Racer

Pretty reasonable price, really. Happy birthday ...

Quick Reply: turn signal woe