996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tire reccomendations for 2003 C4S Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with C4CRNA -- just got a set of Pilot Sport A/S.

I also put only 5K summer miles a year on the car -- but I wanted something that would get me by if for some emergency I'd need to drive it briefly in the winter.

I push the car but not hard enough where I'm going to notice a significant difference with some of the performance tires that cost more and/or have far shorter warranties.

No right or wring answer to the tire question. Comes down to personal driving style, needs and cost.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:44 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Price not an issue, Michelin Pilot Sports.
Price matters, Sumitomo

you will not go wrong with either.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:31 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 763 Likes on 556 Posts

Sumis great for the money - can buy 2 sets for one PS2s, PS2s expensive, Continental like rocks.........

Try Sumi HTZ 3.......5,000 on mine and tread looks good for another 7k at least on rears.....
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a good discussion on this in the 996 Turbo forum earlier this week. Someone posted review of performance tires based on handling (both wet and dry), steering accuracy, ride, and noise. The Mich PS2 was used as the benchmark tire. It's very informative.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Continentals sport contact-2 what I run. Great tire for speeds well over 100mph
Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
The mother-of-all Sumitomo HTRZIII threads.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-any-good.html

Bottom line: for the price they cannot be beaten.
After reading almost every page of this 11 + page thread it is amazing the posititive response these Sumitomos get. But it's almost scary how innexpensive they are. I am going to go ahead and Have Discount Tire order them for me. (they normally do not cary them) They are not even going to charge for the shipping. I figure if they last two years I will have gotten my money's worth (I drive aboyt 5K / YR) Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I get a little over a 1yr (~15k) on my rears. My car is a daily driver. I am on my second set of rears and still on my first set of fronts. Next time it will be all 4 corners. I get my tires next days from tire rack. They have a warehouse very close to Houston.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sumi's get lots of recommendations. If I wanted a generic high-performance summer tire, these would be what I'd get. Mainly since with the price you can't go too wrong and there are plenty of people running them on our cars. I saw a fair number of them at the Pacific Northwest winery tour this weekend (lots of Michelin Sports also).

I wanted higher performance, particularly autocross performance combined with good daily + long-distance drivability, so I bought Yokohama Advan AD08s and am very happy with them. They're much, much better than the Pirelli Pzero Assimetricos they're replacing. I talked to a few other local 911 owners here who are running the AD08s and they have been happy with them other than the fast wear.

If I wanted all-season tires for sporty daily driving while keeping good tire life, I'd strongly consider the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires based on how they performed on my STi. Personally I'm coming around to the summer tire + winter tire combo instead of trying to do an all-season.

Quick Reply: Tire reccomendations for 2003 C4S Please