Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa water leak help please

Hi,

I need help with my targa, 2002 model.

The passenger side back seat "Under carpet" gets very wet, it looks like the water is leaking out of the drainpipe that takes the water away when it gets around the glass Targa roof, there are two drain tubes on each side, one at the very back corner of the rear lift up roof and one Behind the "nylon curtain" that takes water from the main channel that runs all the way along either side of the targa roof.

Q -- how do I remove the nylon curtain towards the very back of the vehicle so that I can get in and inspect and clean out the drain tube entry area?

Q -- where do the two tubes come out? I look in the engine bay and I can't see them coming out there, I look up around the top of the mufflers and I can't see them coming out there.

Finally -- any suggestions other than the drain tubes? (which look like the obvious problem).

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly to you mean by "remove the nylon curtain towards the very back"? I did remove one of my curtains when it jammed, but I don't know exactly how the recoil mechanism works because disassembling the entire back end is a lot of work (4 different motors to extract).

I can describe the channel, molding and bolts if it helps.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly -- the season has turned here and it's raining every day so I am keen to get this fixed

The nylon curtain is the strip of nylon material about 2 inches wide that runs up either side of the Targa roof starting right at the back where the motors are ending up above the seat belts, it's sort of folds out of the way when the Targa roof is opened.

The drainpipe that I want to get to has its opening (collection point) in behind that piece of nylon material at the very back corner of each side of the Targa roof structure, if you lift open the back glass window and look in along each side you will see the strip of material that I am talking about, It runs parallel with the glass all the way up each side.

I need to have a look in behind that material In the back corner of the vehicle because that is the collection/starting point of the drain tube.

"for the life of me" I can't see how to remove that Material so I can have a look and clean out the drain tube.

All help appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Ok. I'll look at mine tonight, if I remember. I need to refresh my memory before I can give you advice on how to remove the curtain. (mine is permanently removed because is was jammed and replacing it is not worth the work/cost).

I'll also look for the drain and try to determine if accessing it will actually help you.

Stay tuned...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Targatoo
Pro

So, I looked. I can't see any drain hole. You will have to remove more than just the curtain in order to access it, if it's even possible.

You can pull out the panel that runs across the back, exposing the wiper motor, etc. It just pulls out.
Then there's panel that sits over top of those motors than you can unscrew once that other panel is removed. I would start with those. If you can't see the drain hole yet, I'm not certain that removing the curtain will help.

In any case, if you want to remove the curtain, here's what I can tell you (and I'm far from a technician, so there may be a better way):
- there are four bolts that hold the top section of molding in place (the molding runs the entire length of the C pillar)
- the track for the curtain sits within this top molding
- you can see the first bolt through the opening in the curtain up near the tauna 'bar/case' when the roof is closed
- fold yourself in half, climb inside the car, with the hatch closed
- remove the first bolt and DO NOT DROP IT or you'll never see it again and it may jam your roof
- retract the roof until you can see the next bolt through the little opening
- repeat two more times

Once that molding is loose, move the roof back up the closed position and you should be able 'remove' the molding. It will still be attached to the curtain so the best you can really do is swing it into the car a few inches. This will at least allow you to see behind that curtain.

Good luck and God speed
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Thanks Targatoo -- much appreciated -- this is my project for the next few days/weeks -- I am a bit busy at the moment at work so I will probably do this "search and destroy" mission in a week or sa and at the same time as I pull out all of the rear carpet etc' so everything can dry thouroughly.
Will report back -- but it will be a while
Thanks again.
Michael
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would start by looking at the rubber gasket on the interior of the car right at the end of the targa roof. The profile strip (#14) has a rubber end that collects water and directs it into a channel for the water drain - if the rubber end has become dislodged it will not drain properly and water will drip into the back seat. Simply redirect the tip so the "spout" directs water back into the drain.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

if all else fails.. Duct tape!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Hi Shamus -- I had a look and "part 14" is sitting in place -- but interesting to see that little drain -- could easily come out.
Have been thinking about this -- the problem has been water in the back seat well when the car has been sitting in the rain.
So, since I have to strip all of the rear carpet out to get it all dry -- I will therefore strip it all out and will sit the car under a lawn sprinkler and sit inside and wait to see where the water "runs"
Will probably be next weekend but at the moment that is the "plan"
Thanks all
Old 10-08-2011, 04:12 PM
ckipa
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two curtains - front and rear. They meet in the middle above the pillar but are not joined together. At this point and behind the curtains there is a small rubber hose (about 2 inch) that drains water from the roof frame into the channel. The hose must be directed into the channel or the water will drain either inside, most likely onto the rear seats, or onto the base of the rear curtain and run to the back of the car. Check the hoses and ensure the end is in the channel. The hose moves everytime the roof is opened and closed and so can move out of place and out of the channel. This is one problem.

The other problem is the drain hose at the end of the channel can get blocked. To check this take the roof and hatch mechanism cover at the back off by pulling it out. Look in corner and you will see the hoses connected to the end of the channel. To check if they're blocked open the roof a bit and then pour alittle water out of a small jug or something in the channel. The water should drain down the channel into the hose and then out above the rear wheel. You'll see the water on and near the wheel. If the water doesn'e come out te the hose is blocked and the water will have come out of the channel at the back near the hose i.e. the the water will overflow at the end/bottom of the channel. If the hose has been blocked for a while most likely all water will be running down behind the carpet and collecting under the rear seats. It's a big job to dry everything out. Hose can be unblocked by blowing compressed air from the discharge end.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Thanks CK... much appreciated -- have not yet got to finding out where the water is coming from, but iy has to be one of your two suggestions and I suspect the latter.
Have the rear trim all out of the back of the vehicle and have some towels in where the rear seat should be -- every time it rains they get soaked and I change them out, but I can still use the car, am going to put it off the road soon for a lot of jobs and this is one of them -- you are right -- is a big job getting everything dry -- amazing number of parts, foam, plastic etc.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

R U still there CK? It's been a stretched out job -- but have found the blockage -- you were right -- the hose at the back of the Targa frame chanel was blocked and compressed air cleaned it.
But now the targa roof is stuck, will just very slowly move if you push it with hands as you operate the switch, so 6 months of sitting has not been good for it -- frozen
Do you or anyone know how to release the side curtains so I can clearly see the chanels to lube them.
All help from experienced Targa wrenches appreciated

Quick Reply: Targa water leak help please