Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Redline smoked LED tail lights just came today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...che+taillights

wow and they are not a million dollars!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

there is a little gap at the top.
YOu may be able to adjust the light to fill the gap.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carcster88
Sorry guys, just needed to add an update. These are water tight and no fogging, or leaking. After it looks like the last snow of the season, took it through the high pressure wash. All is perfect. I can only speak for the ones I bought and the Amazon seller though. I did read lots of info before I dived into something like this..and am very happy. Funny thing is they are more expensive on EBay and might be inferior to the ones I got. Thanks to the forum for the heads up. Very happy.
I'm surprised you had no fogging - I purchased a set from eBay for my 2000 C4 before I sold it and I would get fogging after a car wash. I used RTV silicone and that greatly reduced but did not completely eliminate the problem. Maybe the Redline ones from Amazon are from a different manufacturer. Did you use any silicone to seal them? No problems in car washes? If that is the case, I may get a pair for my current car. Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJP911
I'm surprised you had no fogging - I purchased a set from eBay for my 2000 C4 before I sold it and I would get fogging after a car wash. I used RTV silicone and that greatly reduced but did not completely eliminate the problem. Maybe the Redline ones from Amazon are from a different manufacturer. Did you use any silicone to seal them? No problems in car washes? If that is the case, I may get a pair for my current car. Thanks
Nope...thought I might need some clear RTV silicone, but did some research on the seller I bought them from. Forum did not really report any problems with that, just damage in shipping from the seller. Looks like that is corrected as these were packaged very well. I also like the return policy with Amazon much better than Ebay. Granted....they might be the same as the ones you can get on Ebay, might not....

Ebay was more expensive for them and they were shipping from overseas. Just wanted to give my review. Very happy with them and they look stock. My review is only from the seller on Amazon I got them from. Also, followed the tip from the forum on not to install the little corner light or it could blow a fuse. So far...no issues, very happy and for what they are...cheap exterior mod that makes the car look updated in a subtle way. Just what I wanted. I loved the OEM tails on my BMW...and like these just as much...also much brighter than my original 996 tails...they were fading.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
They are a very reasonably priced upgrade to a significantly more modern look. These are getting very popular.
Are those LEDs in the taillights? Or does it just appear to be. Car looks great!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Does anyone know the issue with the corner lights or have a workaround? You would think that it would be plug n play. Omitting the corner lights seems like less than an optimal solution, since the OEM lights use them.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:30 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Does anyone know the issue with the corner lights or have a workaround? You would think that it would be plug n play. Omitting the corner lights seems like less than an optimal solution, since the OEM lights use them.
With this setup...they really serve no purpose. Just my personal experience.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

The problem is that the socket for the side marker is not keyed in any way so it is easy to install with reverse polarity. The wire is connected in the LED light to the tail light circuit so you blow the fuse if not connected properly. If you make sure to connect with proper polarity, there is no problem.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:42 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good looking lights. I have not seen a set for the 996 WB's yet
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Geowar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received and installed the same redline LED tail lights from amazon. Great upgrade compared to the old looking OEM lights. I'm sure there's no connection, but now both side view mirrors along with the reverse gear tilt of the passenger mirror no longer can be adjusted. Checked the correct fuse for side view mirrors. Fuse was fine.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:48 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Are the side markers the only ones with reversed polarity? Seems kind of weird.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Are the side markers the only ones with reversed polarity? Seems kind of weird.
The side markers do not have reverse polarity - it is just there is nothing preventing reverse polarity installation. Its because of the type of bulb used there as compared to the regular tail bulb.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I'm still confused. What would have to be done in order to use the corner lights?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

It looks nice on the red and silver cars that I've seen. Has anyone done this on a black or very dark colored car? I'm wondering how they would look since there appears to be about a one inch black border on the lights. On a dark car, would the fixture appear to be smaller?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Geowar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, installed the "smoke/red" on my black cab. They look fantastic. I'll post a pic tommorrow.

Quick Reply: Redline smoked LED tail lights just came today.