Sponsored by:

Reliability of high mileage Targas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reliability of high mileage Targas?

Howdy peeps! Doug here again, still shopping for the next Pcar. A 91k mile 996 Targa (2003 w/Tiptronic) has popped up here locally and caught my eye (love the idea of a Targa). Did a search and haven't found a lot, so I thought I'd just post a direct question...

How has your high mileage Targa been for you? Issues? Concerns?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers
Old 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

No experiences with a Targa, but IIRC the powertrain and all surrounding bits and pieces are all the same as a regular 996. Is your question is specific to the roof assembly?
Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I seem to recall a thread on here a while back that talked about the Targa roof motor failing out of warranty. I don't remember the cost to repair but it was $$$$. The owner was trying to find another way out.

Found the link: Targa roof misalignment

It looks like the OP of that thread hasn't been here since this problem. Maybe you could PM to find out the results. If you do a search for targa you will find a number of roof issues.

Last edited by Gaspasser19; 04-26-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I had a coworker that owned a Targa, can't remember the year 02??, that he bought new. The only "problems" that he had in the first ~60k mi. Were it creaked and groaned some. (about like my 2003 cab) over uneven surfaces, more so in the cold. And when he opened the "roof", it made the back glass darker with the two layers of glass.
He was very happy with it, loved the idea of the hatchback. He moved west a few years ago so not sure if he still has it.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an 03 targa with 52k on it. Mechanically the same as any other 996. I've only had it a short time but the research I did came up a bout the same as yours. On the plus side the top open is awesome, the extra light always make the interior look clean, and gives you about an extra 1.5" of head room. It does rattle a bit, and squeaks on cold mornings. When I got mine I took a Q- tip and lubes the track as best as could,and seemed to help it quite a bit,as seems it had never been done. From what I found the motor resides in th portion of the roof that moves and might be mistaken but think it might be a repurposed window motor. Hope that helps
Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I'm sure I'd love the Targa but I'm concerned about top issues. The encouraging bit is that, if the motors fail, it looks like it can be closed manually and I just have a 911 with a big sunroof. The link posted by Tim, however, seems a bit more daunting. And I'm sure at 91k the chances it will operate smoothly for another 50k miles are slim. I still might go look at the car, but I'll probably pass on this one.

BTW, does anybody know why Porsche doesn't make their back glass a "hatchback" on their coupes? Seems like a no-brainer good idea....
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doug, it's been ages since u last post here.

Piccia
Last Activity: 11-17-2010 11:15 PM

maybe u want sent him an email?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it pains me to say it, what is your plan should the motor grenade on you?

I like the targa idea, even if I would never open the top. I do like the full glass roof aproach and the rear hatch is a nice novelty. one drawback to the hatch is you have to access it typically from the side, and the liftover is somewhat high for heavier items. Plus, its another potential source of leaks and noises.. like a 944 hatch can be.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
While it pains me to say it, what is your plan should the motor grenade on you?
Any M96 car I buy will ultimately get an IMS bearing update. I know that's not the only potential problem, but I'm comfortable with the motors other than this issue. And the LN piece seems to be a solid fix. This car, with 91k miles, clearly didn't sit around. So as long as it was taken care of (need to check on service history, etc.) I'm ok with it.

Originally Posted by racer
I like the targa idea, even if I would never open the top. I do like the full glass roof aproach and the rear hatch is a nice novelty. one drawback to the hatch is you have to access it typically from the side, and the liftover is somewhat high for heavier items. Plus, its another potential source of leaks and noises.. like a 944 hatch can be.
I'm with you...it would still be special even if the top never worked. (Not sure Julie would agree, but..) I keep looking at Boxsters, but to be honest, I'd enjoy the top down only about 1/4 of the year. Not sure I want that in a daily driver.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pl
doug, it's been ages since u last post here.

Piccia
Last Activity: 11-17-2010 11:15 PM

maybe u want sent him an email?
I'll see if I can...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is another thread for you
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...les-fixed.html
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

With regards to the reliablity of the 996 - this is well documented and you appear to be well informed so I won't go into it (other than to say my car runs like a new top with 105,000 miles on the clock)

With regards to the roof assembly, I don't have direct experience but in my opinion if the roof mechanism does fail (not all that likely with regular maintenance and lubrication) then so what if it costs a couple of thouand to fix?

Sure it's not chicken scratch, but very little of the maintenance that goes with owning these cars is.

Chances are good you could fix it yourself for half the cost anyway. If I recall you're pretty handy with the tools aren't you?

Long story short - don't let the off chance that the roof mechanism will fail deter you from buying a well kept high mileage car. If the mechanism is noisy or similar then obviously the advice changes.

Oh - and hold out for a six speed!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

$2k is definitely better than...oh, say $15k for a new motor. But sadly this is the top of my budget, so I want to reduce the risks if possible.

I haven't even had a chance to look at the car. Evidently its true what they say about airplanes being giant canisters of germs...I've come down with a wikkid sinus cold after our Vegas vacation. Hope to get better and get back to proper car shopping soon!

Cheers
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

FYI the April 2011 issue of GT Purely Porsche magazine has a buyer's guide article for the 996 and 997 Targas. They seem to think the tops are very reliable.

I still haven't stopped to see the car, however plans have changed (again) and I'm likely going to buy my brother's Cayman S.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:37 PM
altimatum
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I bought this car you are talking about

Doug,

I am not sure if the car you were talking about is from the Chicago area and is it blue on blue? If so, I think I bought the car. So far, I am loving it.

Had to fix the alternator and buy a new battery but that seems to be the only issues I have come across.

Roof in fact works great and that was indeed my main concern. In terms of the look of the car, I just love the glass roof, loving it!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Reliability of high mileage Targas?