Sponsored by:

Targa Roof Help - misalignment!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Roof Help - misalignment!

My '02 Targa's roof didn't close properly last night. Heard a crack when it was cycling closed and the driver's side is 1 cm down vs. the passenger side. I'm not much of a DIY'er but am hoping I might be able to re-align it. Searched the forum but didn't see this exact situation.

Any help/thoughts appreciated!
Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
nazhat
Instructor

Try Loren at Renntech.org
Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Piccia
Instructor

All my research says I may have a very expensive fix on my hands for my misaligned Targa roof. I was thinking on asking my independent service shop to help me shut and secure it for the winter. Anyone ever do this manually?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a way to manually open or shut your Targa like there is for a sunroof in the owners manual?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Doh! Good point. I'll check.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Found a 997 manual online and saw the emergency closing procedure. So when I get to my car I'm sure there'll be something similar. I'll post an update....
Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Piccia
All my research says I may have a very expensive fix on my hands for my misaligned Targa roof. I was thinking on asking my independent service shop to help me shut and secure it for the winter. Anyone ever do this manually?
How does it get misaligned? How much is the repair?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

The owner's manual contains the instructions to shut the roof manually. It is quite easy.
However if one side sits lower than the other side, then this probably has to do with the lifting mechanism - not the alignment, so even manually you (probably) won't be able to close it completely.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Optical - I'm not sure what happened. The roof was in need of lubrication (closing was slowing down) and something may have just broken. But I've looked at posts around the world for Targa's and full repair replacement seems like a $2K in parts plus 10+ hrs of labor deal. Admittedly, that's from a small 'n' (our cars are rare) and 1.5 days of searching. A couple of people have thought the worse and been able to get fixed with lubrication. But their's weren't misaligned..... We'll see tonight whether I can get it closed.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Piccia
Optical - I'm not sure what happened. The roof was in need of lubrication (closing was slowing down) and something may have just broken. But I've looked at posts around the world for Targa's and full repair replacement seems like a $2K in parts plus 10+ hrs of labor deal. Admittedly, that's from a small 'n' (our cars are rare) and 1.5 days of searching. A couple of people have thought the worse and been able to get fixed with lubrication. But their's weren't misaligned..... We'll see tonight whether I can get it closed.
We are both seal gray and black. You have a great car. Love the winter with the top open. Good thing it's not the 15k repair some talk about.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Anyone have any tips on lubricating to help prevent this? I tried lubricating the tracks once but that did nothing. I must be missing the right spots.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Piccia
Instructor

Well, I wasn't able to force the roof closed using the process and tools outlined in the owners manual. Fri. its going to my independent for an oil change and to see if they can get it done. Luckily, no rain in the near forecast in Nashville!

My amateur analysis from feeling/listening while trying the manual shutting is that the motor for the driver's side of the roof (there's one for each side) broke a gear of some type.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Were you able to move the roof in both directions, but just not far enough to close it with the tools?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Piccia
Instructor

Barn996 - the roof was all the way closed on one side and dropped on the other. So there wasn't much movement. I could turn the manual cranks and get about a 1/2 inch drop on the flush closed side, but much less on the dropped/misaligned side. So really not much movement either way. Looks bad - $$$
Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The final bit of lift is because of the uplift in the track -- no magic there -- if the gear drive has failed you will not get complete forward movement wich at the last moment is converted into upwards movement by the change in track direction.
You mention slowness etc before the failure, so it seems the motor was working hard against resistance or there was no resistance and it was failing for other reasons.
My suggestion is to have someone inside push the window in the right direction (using their feet) and at the same time you turing the motors with the T handles.
Hopefully this will do the trick.
As for a permanent fix, the hard part about the roof is getting at the parts, they are all so dammed hard to get at, even the side curtain is hard to remove, so that probable means a dealer or a porsche bodyshop where they have experience at getting the assemblies on and off.

Quick Reply: Targa Roof Help - misalignment!