Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Streather and the IMS bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow: this is now getting really interesting! More pix, please.....(*insert cigar emoticon, here*).
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts
Default IMS

I think one of the most telling things is the fact that pca@multibriefs.com lets LN Engineering advertise the product.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, nittanyguy, not really sure what you want from us - people have been trying to answer your question, but you've just been posting snarky responses to them.

Cars fail all the time, for all kinds of reasons, and one that has been identified for the Porsche 996 (especially the 1999 model year, which is probably the least expensive 911 out there of any model year) is the IMS. If you can't handle this risk and believe there is a conspiracy theory or something, maybe go buy a BMW...

Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

She can stand on my bumper anytime
Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by nittanyguy1

I just finished reading through Streather's 996 Essential companion. On page 182 of the August 2010 printing, he says (to summarize): "Lack of engine oil is the most likely cause of the IMS bearing collapsing. Low engine oil levels......cannot be blamed on anyone but the driver."

So, is Streather full of it?
Perhaps not in regard to the fact that IMS failure has been greatly exaggerated through purposeful manipulation of fact to create internet hysteria for the sake of entrepreneurial gain...but the quoted assertion is patently ignorant. The OEM bearing is grease-packed and sealed. It is not purposed to be lubricated by the engine oil. Theoretically one could run the engine bone-dry of oil until it seizes, and the IMS bearing would be found to be in perfect condition.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
cdaniels
Racer

My feelings exactly...the IMS upgrade is an insurance policy and for peace of mind....the cost of the upgrade vs the cost of a crate motor.......

Originally Posted by Cefalu
Sorry to get back to the topic, but the IMS bearing is designed as a sealed bearing that is not lubed by engine oil. In fact, the failures are caused by a failed bearing seal allowing engine oil to wash out the bearing permanent lube. How would engine oil level make any difference? Streathers comments are off. On an intact bearing, engine oil level has no impact on the bearing race and *****. If your bearings' seal failed , and your oil was low, well maybe that would do it. But then you would have a failed bearing wouldn't you!

Furthermore, from a statistical standpoint, there is no way to get statistically meaningful numbers from this board or Raby. You need a large enough random sampling group. Neither is random. But it is clear that IMS bearings do fail often enough to be of concern, primarily because the failure results in a destroyed engine. If a failed IMS bearing only resulted in a burned out dash light, it wouldn't be a subject for discussion or such a big concern.

All you can reasonably infer from all this IMS BS is some IMS bearings fail. And is it worth spending $800 during a clutch change (or more) to reduce the odds of a $16,000 engine replacement . It was to me. I don't think about it anymore.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:35 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Perhaps not in regard to the fact that IMS failure has been greatly exaggerated through purposeful manipulation of fact to create internet hysteria for the sake of entrepreneurial gain...but the quoted assertion is patently ignorant. The OEM bearing is grease-packed and sealed. It is not purposed to be lubricated by the engine oil. Theoretically one could run the engine bone-dry of oil until it seizes, and the IMS bearing would be found to be in perfect condition.
That is, IF the bearing still had the proper amount of uncontaminated grease still in it.

The G96 pinion head bearing acts much like the IMS bearing in the engine, as per its design intention.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Country911;8497120 The topic almost takes on the status of "religion", no actual proof, but some people are believers and their beliefs gives them comfort and I'm sure, much much more. I take nothing away from those who believe.
[/QUOTE]

I love analogies. Thanks for this one. It will help me sleep at night.
Sincerely.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Speaking of 996's and the potential problems that arise from them.......
OK. I'm officially in love. Dear Lord.

BTW, I have the ezcarlift, too, got it under a GB for $1250. Love it. The low rise (26") is allI've needed so far. An oft ignored benefit of the lift is the micro-precision raise/lower that is near impossible to do with any other lift. Makes alignment of heavy large underbody items a breeze. It's truly portable. 2 posters are portable in the sense if you move, you can take it with you, or have to move it for something. You can't take it to a track, or lend it to a friend, and the ezcarlift stores in like no room at all. FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, etc, etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Please kill these IMS threads. It' s always the same wild speculation, complete guesses, and misinformation which people state as fact. Nobody knows the frequency or cause, with the possible exception of Porsche, and their not likely to publish anything anytime soon. Enough already. If you're concerned, do the upgrade. If you're not, just enjoy the ride.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to replace my IMS...I do, just not yet because if the engine grenades while under CPO, I get a new engine...

I can't help but think if there were hundreds of 996's that were losing engines, Porsche would be facing a class action lawsuit. Regardless if it's after the warranty period.

Instead, because there are third party products like LNE, they have been saved. With everyone running to install this upgraded component, Porsche is then cleared from any responsibility for those engines.

They must be LOVING the LNE kit. It (quite possibly) saved them hundreds of thousands of dollars!

In theory, if the part they used is subpar for the abuse/life it might lead, or simply their design is shotty, having third party solutions removes a LOT of headaches from Porsche. The only thing they are stuck with now is the possible bad rep for the M96....but they've already moved on from that platform, so that doesn't really matter.

If no one made an "upgrade", all these engines would be dying and Porsche would have some REAL issues on their hands.

They should send Jake and LNE some fruit baskets or something

sean
Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

A class-action lawsuit for a problem that may or may not happen with some cars that are up to 13 years old? I don't think so.

I hereby pledge that I will never again read another IMS thread.

Quick Reply: Streather and the IMS bearing