Sponsored by:

How much would a used engine cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Jeff996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindav
Would a brand new one still need the LN IMS bearing or are they putting in something better at the factory now in the 3.4L?

I have been told the crate motors have some small updates, but are basically the same as the original 3.4l.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM
leadingoff
5th Gear

Unhappy My first Post

Thanks to TRINITONY for posting this question for me. It is my 2002 C4 3.6 Cabrio that he was inquiring about. It looks like the IMS bearing let go. When I got the car the leak down and other inspections were stellar, and it has run like a bear up to now! I am not sure what to do with it at this point.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

That's a bummer It depends on what you want to do. A running 02 C4 cabrio should be worth somewhere in the mid to high $20s in good condition with less than 70K miles.

Option 1: You can wait and find a used engine to pop up on ebay for $5-6K. Do some preventative work addressing the IMS and other while the engine is out fixes. You can have it up and running again around $10K.

Option 2: Send you car to Jake at Flat Six and be prepared to pay double but no worries about the car's engine forever.

Option 3: Sell as is which is worth around $5-7K and move into a new car.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by leadingoff
Thanks to TRINITONY for posting this question for me. It is my 2002 C4 3.6 Cabrio that he was inquiring about. It looks like the IMS bearing let go. When I got the car the leak down and other inspections were stellar, and it has run like a bear up to now! I am not sure what to do with it at this point.
Welcome sir, and good luck getting this sorted out.

Originally Posted by chsu74
That's a bummer It depends on what you want to do. A running 02 C4 cabrio should be worth somewhere in the mid to high $20s in good condition with less than 70K miles.

Option 1: You can wait and find a used engine to pop up on ebay for $5-6K. Do some preventative work addressing the IMS and other while the engine is out fixes. You can have it up and running again around $10K.

Option 2: Send you car to Jake at Flat Six and be prepared to pay double but no worries about the car's engine forever.

Option 3: Sell as is which is worth around $5-7K and move into a new car.

wow, so same price range as a boxster then?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM
leadingoff
5th Gear

Default Thanks for the information...

I really do appreciate all the insight and information, I think it is going to help me in making a decision. Like I said, it is my first 911, never understood the love affair people have with these, but having owned it for less than a year, I now see why what the fuss is all about Anyway, I'll let you all know what happens in the coming days.

Quick Reply: How much would a used engine cost?