Sponsored by:

Annoying Things about Porsche ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel bad driving the car in or around poorer neighborhoods, because I feel like I'm rubbing it in their faces, driving such a "fancy" car, if you know what I mean?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes...but maybe that "one" kid sees your car and wants to better himself so he can have one some day. I am proud to have earned everything I have, I do not feel guilty - nor should you.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:32 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I feel bad driving the car in or around poorer neighborhoods, because I feel like I'm rubbing it in their faces, driving such a "fancy" car, if you know what I mean?
I actually get positive comments on mine when driving through bad neighborhoods. I would hope it serves as an inspiration for others.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Air-cooled and jerk is redundant.
Hey, some of my best friends are "air-cooled."

larry
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone thinks you "are rich"

Porsche vs. Porcupine question
Old 04-14-2011, 04:19 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The most annoying thing for me is the cost of parts and repairs. Most of the time I can't justify taking it in, so I DIY.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most annoying thing for me is that people think I'm cooler than I really am.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

One thing that can be annoying is that I have to hide my car when I entertain customers. I know that it's a 9+ year old car with nearly 100k miles on it, but in the eyes of a customer, it's a Porsche. Period. Whenever I entertain customers at a restaurant, I have to park in the back so they won't see just so they won't judge me with their preconceived notion of Porsche owners.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
larry47us
Pro

Dennis:

I share some of your concern. I am trying to start a consulting practice - (I have been practicing for the past two years. I hope to start doing it for real now.) I have now had two fellow consultants and a potential client look at my car, drop their jaws and say, "Boy your consulting practice must be REALLY successful." I wonder if my potential clients will look at my car and decide that my rates are too high - if I can afford a car like this.

What they don't know is that this is a 10 year old car that is probably worth less than the Lexus LS that they're driving. I know one thing for sure. I am having a lot more fun than they are!!!

larry
Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us

What they don't know is that this is a 10 year old car that is probably worth less than the Lexus LS that they're driving. I know one thing for sure. I am having a lot more fun than they are!!!

larry
And your car will depreciate less than the brand new Lexus LS they're driving.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:21 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that can be annoying is that I have to hide my car when I entertain customers. I know that it's a 9+ year old car with nearly 100k miles on it, but in the eyes of a customer, it's a Porsche. Period. Whenever I entertain customers at a restaurant, I have to park in the back so they won't see just so they won't judge me with their preconceived notion of Porsche owners.
Boy can i identify with this!!
It has only been a couple of years that some customers found out about the Carrera and then last year I started showing up in the C350 that is the DD (got a great deal second hand). In January I bought a used Cayenne for my wife but made the mistake switching cars on a day when I had to visit a good customer...........after our meeting i went out and as i was getting in the Cayenne he came running out to tell me something and saw the car............first thing out of his mouth " you Fxxxing bastard is one Porsche not enough!
I don't know but I had a big smirk on my face!! I worked hard for these things and why should I be almost ashamed for having them!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
larry47us
Pro

I worked for a small business once, and the owner and his wife each had a Mercedes. They both drove them to the office every day. Whenever we had a client come to visit, it was my job to take the two cars out of the parking lot and "hide" them, so that the customers wouldn't see that they made enough money to own two MB's.

Yes, I have worked hard for my Turbo, and I enjoy driving it. I don't make any apologies for it. Everyone decides where they want to put their money. Some in a house, some in art work, some in extravagant vacations. Mine is in a Porsche. And, I'm damn happy about it!!

larry
Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The last comments definitely hit home with me too. When the guys at work found out I sold my 87 928 and just bought another more expensive one they gave me a hard time. So when I sold my second 928 to buy a Boxster I never told anyone what I bought. When I finally did tell someone I lied and told them I bought a used Boxster. I don't dare tell anyone I have a new one, that just wouldn't sit well.

Sad thing is I'm usually one of the first ones in the office and I'm always the last one out and I can't even enjoy the fruits of my labor because the others will resent it.

The only other annoying thing about Porsche ownership is rock chips!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine doesn't go anywhere near my clients even though it cost less than the 335 I drive when visiting clients.

They already give me enough c**p about my rates. I wouldn't stand a chance if they saw me in the P car.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:04 AM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The only other annoying thing about Porsche ownership is rock chips!
The solution to rock chips is an investment in a clear bra.

larry

Quick Reply: Annoying Things about Porsche ownership