Sponsored by:

wheels bolts to studs and nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by balefire
like this? actually he used the wrong bolts, but you guys get the idea.

for me, the dowel rod adds one more step, but thats not worth changing out all my studs.
also, the wheel bolts allow me to change the spacers and the handling bias of my car for the appropriate autox surface.
To each their own. That's why they make both. Oh, spacers work with studs as well.

-td
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
To each their own. That's why they make both. Oh, spacers work with studs as well.

-td
unless you run a really long stud all the time, wouldn't you have to change the studs if you use a spacer? i'd imagine that would be more of a hassle than changing wheel bolts which is what I do now.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

unless you run a really long stud all the time, wouldn't you have to change the studs if you use a spacer? i'd imagine that would be more of a hassle than changing wheel bolts which is what I do now.
Depends on how big of a spacer you use and how long your studs are. I see a lot of people using studs that are plenty long enough to accommodate fairly thick spacers.

I'm with TD. Studs are the way to go at the track.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Get the 80 mm race series studs [it's what I run]. You can run HUGE spacers with those. I tried the 65mm, but it was hard to get the nuts started. 80 gives you plenty of room.

There's a reason that race teams use studs and not lugs...

-td

Last edited by himself; 04-05-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah - studs are totally easier to deal with than the dowel and bolts for the good reasons himself provided.

As far as the trouble to convert to studs as a downside...are you serious? It's like installing a set of bolts...once!

I've ordered Rennline 80mm - that's 15mm into the hub and 65 protruding. We'll see how those work. I can always go longer because it's no hassle to change them.

Total cost $100

I don't run spacers, but if I ever do I might have to get longer studs.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 AM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have those here already... Oh well

you are looking at 40 mins to remove all the wheels, install the studs with red loctite, drink a beer put wheels back on, drink another beer and admire your work....
Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by altonj
have those here already... Oh well

you are looking at 40 mins to remove all the wheels, install the studs with red loctite, drink a beer put wheels back on, drink another beer and admire your work....
That would have been easier Jeff. It's not a big deal at all though because I'm in Point Roberts at least once a week for gas anyway.

You didn't actually *say* you had these earlier though did you.

Quick Reply: wheels bolts to studs and nuts.