Sponsored by:

wheels bolts to studs and nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default wheels bolts to studs and nuts.

I reckon this is a worthwhile mod. I change my wheels a lot (track-street-winter) and I've never liked the bolts much.

Has anyone done this mod? If so please share some detail on how to and where to get the bits.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Why would you want to? Unless you don't have the aluminum screw in dowel/guide. I take off my tires alot switching pads and bleeding brakes in the summer. I use the dowel all the time and changing tires is a snap.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Why would you want to? Unless you don't have the aluminum screw in dowel/guide. I take off my tires alot switching pads and bleeding brakes in the summer. I use the dowel all the time and changing tires is a snap.
Yeah I know it's not that hard. I have it down to a routine using the dowel also.

It's just always rubbed me wrong for some reason. I can't really explain why.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

It's easy. Just order the 65/80mm studs from Apex and put them on. There's no downside. It's easier than using the rod, IMO.

-td

Last edited by himself; 04-05-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:27 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by himself
It's easy. Just order the 65/85mm studs from Apex and put them on. There's no downside. It's easier than using the rod, IMO.

-td
Do the studs screw into the hubs from the back?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:48 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Found the info I was looking for over in the racing forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...onversion.html

Which links to the vendor with the tech info:

http://www.apexcompetition.com/Produ.../stud_info.cfm
Old 04-03-2011, 01:36 PM
altonj
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jasper, I run studs on the Cayman and have a set here for the 996 as well..... much easeir to swap wheels etc....
Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

What length Jeff? And can you use a normal socket or do you travel with a deep socket?

Do you have a local source? I have a request in with ACR but it would be a lot simpler to source locally. I was thinking Drivers Edge.

I also want to talk RS motor mounts.

So many questions. Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 03:28 PM
altonj
Pro

I have used the rennline ones, not as pretty as the apex ones mind you. I alway use a deep socket.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:16 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

ordered 'em

thx
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
altonj
Pro

Ummm I am my own source...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

It's easy. Just order the 65/85mm studs from Apex and put them on. There's no downside. It's easier than using the rod, IMO.
I can think of several downsides to using studs. I just don't understand how having to align five studs to install a wheel could ever be easier than having to align a single dowel (hanger) to install a wheel. Also, on my other cars it's not uncommon to have to retighten the nuts after installing wheels and driving a few miles. I've never found a loose bolt on my Porsche.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
I can think of several downsides to using studs. I just don't understand how having to align five studs to install a wheel could ever be easier than having to align a single dowel (hanger) to install a wheel. Also, on my other cars it's not uncommon to have to retighten the nuts after installing wheels and driving a few miles. I've never found a loose bolt on my Porsche.
To each their own. Besides, it's not rocket science - it's a wheel. If you like bolts and a dowel, go for it. I've been tracking for years, and IMO, the studs are easier. [In my experience, if you align with the dowel, you have to roate and hold the wheel to get a bolt aligned and started. You don't with the studs. Also, you have to remove the dowel, keep track of the dowel, etc. It's all extra steps that take time.]

In any event, you should always check your torque - whether it's bolts or lugs. Losing a wheel on the track is really embarrasing and potentially costly.

-td
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

In any event, you should always check your torque - whether it's bolts or lugs. Losing a wheel on the track is really embarrasing and potentially costly.

-td
like this? actually he used the wrong bolts, but you guys get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_u-yXag8bg

for me, the dowel rod adds one more step, but thats not worth changing out all my studs.
also, the wheel bolts allow me to change the spacers and the handling bias of my car for the appropriate autox surface.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

To each their own. Besides, it's not rocket science - it's a wheel. If you like bolts and a dowel, go for it. I've been tracking for years, and IMO, the studs are easier. [In my experience, if you align with the dowel, you have to roate and hold the wheel to get a bolt aligned and started. You don't with the studs. Also, you have to remove the dowel, keep track of the dowel, etc. It's all extra steps that take time.]

I didn't say there weren't pros and cons to both ways, just that it's not true that there are no downside to going with studs.

More downsides to using studs is increased difficulty using spacers and making the modification in the first place--I don't know what Porsche's official stance is on doing this.

Quick Reply: wheels bolts to studs and nuts.