Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buy Random Orbit Polisher or Hire a Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen to what Fly99 says -- I have black car and having a PC is a cost effective necessity just to keep it looking sharp -- not even perfect, but sharp.

Prior to this I had a silver and a white car and never really felt a compelling need to own one. Just wash, wax weekly and go with a professional buffing every couple years. With a dark car the care is constant.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear you on that. I used to own a black boxster and someone really screwed my paint up. Love blacks and will not hesitate to get another black car. My Zenith blue is nice but the cleaner wax I apply hides imprefections but when put on the sunlight after a hot day the wax is gone and the marks come out. I will love to see that true mirror finish, you know?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey all,
Thanks for the great info! I'm really a DIY'er at heart, so I'm going to take a closer look at the Griots and the Flex random orbitals, and skip the detail shop. I'll probably wait a few weeks for the weather to warm up.
I'm not an OCD perfectionist, but I'd like the paint to look better than it does now. I need to price out the flex unit, but I'm leaning toward the Griots.
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing my own for 2 years and this weekend had a pro polish it and it looks ten times better. I think he brought the paint to a level I can maintain for another two years.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Get the Flex

If I was buying today, I'd get the Flex. I have a porter cable and been using it for 8 years.

Call up phil at Detailers Domain and consult on what your needs are. He'll guide you And you'll never look back
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Hey all,
Thanks for the great info! I'm really a DIY'er at heart, so I'm going to take a closer look at the Griots and the Flex random orbitals, and skip the detail shop. I'll probably wait a few weeks for the weather to warm up.
I'm not an OCD perfectionist, but I'd like the paint to look better than it does now. I need to price out the flex unit, but I'm leaning toward the Griots.
Thanks!
Regardless of choosing the flex or griots, make sure you go with the Menzerna line of polishes and our CCS pads...they're compatible with both polisher and will give you second-to-none results.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...rna/Categories

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ols/Categories
Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
If I was buying today, I'd get the Flex. I have a porter cable and been using it for 8 years.
So, if you've been using a Porter Cable polisher for 8 years, and would rather have the Flex, the question is -- Why? From previous postings, it seems that most people that have the PC polisher have liked it.

Have you found the PC inadequate for the past 8 years, or has it lost power over the years, or . . . . . . . . ? Your thoughts on this might be helpful for the rest of us.

larry
Old 03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
So, if you've been using a Porter Cable polisher for 8 years, and would rather have the Flex, the question is -- Why? From previous postings, it seems that most people that have the PC polisher have liked it.

Have you found the PC inadequate for the past 8 years, or has it lost power over the years, or . . . . . . . . ? Your thoughts on this might be helpful for the rest of us.

8 years ago, the PC was the hot tool. And so I got that. I simply don't want to spend $300 if I have a tool that works. However I find that it does take more time and since I'm not OCD, it dies a good enough job. It could do better. I also find that it vibrates a lot more than it should and that can get tiring as well.

I probably will get the flex one of these days. I detail twice a year so maybe this fall.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jyoteen
8 years ago, the PC was the hot tool. And so I got that. I simply don't want to spend $300 if I have a tool that works. However I find that it does take more time and since I'm not OCD, it dies a good enough job. It could do better. I also find that it vibrates a lot more than it should and that can get tiring as well.

I probably will get the flex one of these days. I detail twice a year so maybe this fall.
One of the biggest things you'll notice less on the flex compared to pc and griot's machine is less vibration and noise. You appreciate this after a few hours of polishing.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you guys are interested, we can do a flex group buy. I'm happy to help push those of you that are on the fence to get this fabulous tool you'll love.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Hi all,
I'm thinking of improving the paint on my '99 cab this spring. I've done clay bar work and a few coats of good wax in the past, but there are still swirl marks and minor scratches, I'm assuming from careless washing by the PO.

I read the virtures of the random orbital polishers such as the Porter Cable or Griots units, and I don't mind spending time working on the car.

My question is, once I get the paint condition to my liking, what would I use the random orbit polisher for in the future? (Assuming I'm using careful washing techniques, etc.) I'm thinking I'd use it once every few years, and other than that, it would just take up space. By the time I buy the polisher and all the various pads, creams, and asscessories, it could be well over $200.

For just slightly more than that, I could take the car to a professional detailer and have the polishing done while I go have a beer. :

Spring is coming (I hope). What should I do?
I went both ways. I have a PC and tried all typical pad/polish combos. I've found that my time is more valuable right now and that there is no way that I can do the same job as a "true" detailer in much less time. I.e. - I can most likely get the same results, but it will take me much more time to do so.

I just had my C4S done and it looks "creamy" under full sun - NO swirl marks or toweling marks whatsoever. Prior to that, the PO's car washing techniques probably involved a car wash.

As what other posters said, you can also use it to wax the car and you will most certainly use it more than once. You'll even be tempted to get the Griot's 3" orbital as well.

If I had to start from scratch, I'd probably buy the Flex and re-purchase the Griot's. I would then use Menzerna's Super Intensive polish as others have stated above and then a fine polish on top of that if even needed. I use Zaino products as the sealant and then put a Meguairs Gold on top of that.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Regardless of choosing the flex or griots, make sure you go with the Menzerna line of polishes and our CCS pads...they're compatible with both polisher and will give you second-to-none results.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...rna/Categories

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ols/Categories
How would you compare these products with those available from Griots? I have the Griots system (with their version of the PC orbital) and have been using that for my car. The results are decent but I can probably stand to go a little more aggressive with the paint correction.

But before I order all new stuff for this upcoming season I wanted to get your opinion on comparing and contrasting the two choices.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by fpena944
How would you compare these products with those available from Griots? I have the Griots system (with their version of the PC orbital) and have been using that for my car. The results are decent but I can probably stand to go a little more aggressive with the paint correction.
This is EXACTLY my complaint about the Griot's system. Although it's "safe", it's a wee bit too safe for me. I.e. - I started using their #3 polish...took eons to get any scratches out... then #2 took light years...and then #1 still took too much of my lifetime. I've since abandoned my Griot's polishes and went with Menzerna which provided better results in a much much more reasonable timeframe.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:32 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fpena944

But before I order all new stuff for this upcoming season I wanted to get your opinion on comparing and contrasting the two choices.

Thanks!
The main difference between the two is the results from Menzerna are legitimate. The Griot's system is a good one for the DIYer that is starting out and wants a finish that will have more shine and color, but is not concerned about getting swirls and scratches out. In another word, the polishes from Griot's are safe, but not effective.

Where Menzerna excels is its ability to quickly AND safely remove imperfections such as swirls, scratches, marring, etc. and it gives you legitimate results. You can test the areas polished by wiping down with isopropyl alcohol. The other great thing about Menzerna polishes is you'll only need 2 to cover most of your problems. Super Intensive Polish, SIP, and Super Finish. They have a third polish that's great, Power Finish. This polish starts as a medium polish and finishes like a fine polish. So, on lighter colored cars, you can do a single-step polish and you'll be 80-85% of the way there.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
This is EXACTLY my complaint about the Griot's system. Although it's "safe", it's a wee bit too safe for me. I.e. - I started using their #3 polish...took eons to get any scratches out... then #2 took light years...and then #1 still took too much of my lifetime. I've since abandoned my Griot's polishes and went with Menzerna which provided better results in a much much more reasonable timeframe.
+1...no substitute for professional products that are safe too.

Quick Reply: Buy Random Orbit Polisher or Hire a Pro?