996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Car, and Back Problems Already!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try reading about back pain and ways to relieve it. Look for how to sit to relieve pain. You will probably find if you tilt the seat up in the front to have your legs supported up instead of taking pressure on your butt and heels then your pain will vanish. Although there is a better method of staying active pumping your right and left feet vigorously. Just maximize your gas, clutch and braking movements. Sure you might end up in jail but hey its good for your back. Of course you could just adjust the seat to pamper your weak old crumbling back Pretty much how I view mine. Just work the seat to be right in all aspects which includes even the back rest angle which should have your palms at the top of the wheel whith straight out arms putting pressure on the wheel as it also presses you back into the seat at the shoulders not the back.

Lesson learned: If you are going to grow old, search the internet more and get comfortable.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks very similar to my new 04 C4S also. I have the GT3 wheels, and standard seats with no lumbar support. The clutch in mine isn't heavy at all -- seems on par with non-performance cars I've driven.

I've had back issues from seats before, but it hasn't been much of an issue with cars, thank goodness. My STi with race clutch and Sparco seat would have done it if I had to do long trips in it, and the Mustang Cobra I drove once was obnoxiously hard. The C4S is much, much nicer than that, although my knees still are almost hitting the steering wheel even with the seat as far down as it will go (grumble about non-tilting 996 steering wheels).

Porka: You are evil! Evil! I'm trying to keep my car stock, and you post pics of such nice wheels and seats. Seriously though, that's a really nice looking car.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with porka 100%. The 997 adaptive sport seats are incredible. I have had 7 spine surgeries, including fusion at 3 levels. The stock seats in my 996 are pretty uncomfortable. When the budget allows, I will upgrade. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 996 seats can be challenging to adjust. This actually can be made harder by lumbar support. I suggest:

- If you are sensitive to the seat adjustment...assume you won't get it perfect the first time you try this. Get it close. Drive it for a few days with your setting...then do the sequence again. Start this sequence with no extra lumbar support.

1. Get the slant of the bottom cushion right so that you feel slightly more pressure on your thighs than tail bone...but only slightly.

2. The angle of the back can range from comfortable to uncomfortable with only about 1/2" of movement. So..this is touchy.

Without actually paying attention to where it's set (close your eyes...), feel where the pressure is. At the bottom of your back (small of you back)...or up by your shoulders.

If it's up by your shoulders, tilt the back, backward slightly. Check again. Keep tilting the seat-back backward until you feel the pressure get stronger in the small of your back. Angle slightly forward until you get approximately even pressure along your spine.

(Similar sequence, but reversed if you originally feel most of the pressure in the small of your back.)

3. Now just drive off and on for a few days. As you feel that the pressure seems to change (small of your back vs. shoulders)...just blip the angle adjustment. If you actually hold it down...you will go way past your comfort point.

Let it alone for a few days...make sure you've saved this position in the seat memory.

Try the sequence again. If you've got as close as you can to even support -- now play with the lumbar support if you want. But at least you're approaching it from the most comfortable point where the seat gives you the most even support.

Important: if you have the electric memory for your seats, save each day's adjustment before you shut off the car....othewise it will return the seat to the pre-adjustment position the next time you unlock the car with the remote.

After you change these adjustments, move the seat forward or backward so the reach to the pedals & wheel is right for you.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Have back pain ... admitting I do and am Getting (?) old I chose a Tip. The seats are fine for me with the adjustable lowerback support. No pain on a three day trip. But I learned the Tip was right for me after earlier Porsches made me uncomfotable. I would agree the Clutch is likely your issue as I have driven several 996 stick cars and found all but one of them much better than the older 911s.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

How about using a lumbar support (it's a cylindrical foam pillow appx a 14" long and 8" in diameter).
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should add: I have no problem with the 944 seat, and the clutch is easier, so I'm suspecting the clutch is the singular issue, rather than the seat itself....but...

Thanks; some great suggestions. I'll start with the systematic adjustments, watch-wait, rinse-repeat. Seats are comfort seats with lumbar support. I put it my back pillow, and it made things worse. Those 997 seats are nice; will save for them but for now moving the seat to the right location slowly is the way I'll start.

Last edited by Peter 642; 03-22-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Pac996
Drifting

I've tried cushions and all they do is make more pain. Maybe my back is too far gone. It might seem odd that getting the legs supported up would cure all the problems but it works for me. Something about the constant pressure of not supported.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

yep I had the same exact problem.. it killed me to drive the car. I almost go rid of it.
I took a bath towl. Rolled it up and stuffed it in the lumbar section section of the seat... Been A LOT better.. I drove over 10 hours in it this past weekend and a little pain.. But not near like it was.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
yep I had the same exact problem.. it killed me to drive the car. I almost go rid of it.
I took a bath towl. Rolled it up and stuffed it in the lumbar section section of the seat... Been A LOT better.. I drove over 10 hours in it this past weekend and a little pain.. But not near like it was.
Yup. w/o the towel I can go maybe 30 minutes before it's a real pain. With the additional support I've done 13 hours with no negative effects.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I brought it in today. Clutch is going, but not gone. They found no problems with the springs or mechanics. Looks like I'm going to take RF5B's step-by-step plan, and all of ya'll who suggested to towel it, and deal. It's way too much fun driving the car to let it sit. It got a good washing today. Sparkle, sparkle.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had mine make my back hurt too, Quite bad actually.

But its well worth it.

Quick Reply: New Car, and Back Problems Already!