996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Car, and Back Problems Already!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Car, and Back Problems Already!

Howdy,

New to the 996 board. Pics below of the new-to-me 2003 C4S I picked up recently. I absolutely love this car. Other car is an 88 NA 944; great car, different vehicle.

Here's the question/issue. My back is killing me, literally. Took a 55 mile drive and back yesterday, and I'm remarkably uncomfortable. Actual lower back pain. I blame some of it on German Engineering (seat not meant to cushion, which is fine), and some of it on a very tight clutch that torques my back every time I press it. I've played with the lumbar support and moved the seat in multiple directions, plus brought myself up forward (which I don't like), and nothing helps.

There have got to be some old fogies out there like me, whose backs are bad, and who solved this problem somehow. It might actually keep me from using it as a DD if I can't get less-painful. Could swap out seats, but I'm hoping to avoid that; the car is pretty much spotless and stock as-is.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to learning about this great auto.
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice looking ride that appears to be nearly a twin for mine from the outside.

Since you mention adjusting the lumbar support does that mean it has the lumbar adjustment (a dual air bladder) that covers a fairly wide range of heights and inflation levels? I have this on my Boxster but not on my C4S so I had to improvise. On the Boxster I can easily get quite a bit of inflation down really low and this helps my back a lot. On the C4S I had to resort to the trick of rolling up a towel and fitting it behind the center seat cushion. It's not ideal but it does solve the problem. At least for me.

Back to the lumbar support. If you do have the adjustable lumbar support option you can verify it operates correctly by removing the center backrest cushion and watching the bladders fill/deflate as you move them up & down and adjust the inflation level. If they are both working then I'm out of ideas other than getting an add-on cushion to augment the level of support.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

If your clutch is feeling very tight, then it's probably quite worn. Mine was quite heavy just before the pressure plate broke. The new clutch is at least 50% lighter.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Janusz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, look at the clutch helper spring. It could be removed or is broken.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya; compared with the 944 it's like pushing an elephant up a hill. PPI did not mention the clutch worn however I doubt it was taken apart and interrogated. Will have to do a bit of looking.

Thanks for advice on support; yes it has proper support with bladders. Bladder inflates and deflates but unsure it moves; I'll pull the seat back and take a look. Two issues to work on already.

I love this marque! Good thing the 944 prepped me right....
Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My clutch was very heavy and it turned out to be a broken clutch helper spring.

As far as back pain...I'm old enough and I've had back pain in other cars...although admitadly not all that often. My base stock 996 seats treat me fine and I daily drive 50 miles every day.

Hope you find a position that works, it'd be a shame to not enjoy your car.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Beautiful car... looks quite a bit like mine too.

Do you have standard seats, or do you have the comfort seat option?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I would suggest a round pillow for lower back support. I have found it does wonders on distance drives.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 AM
porka
Banned

the 996 standard seats are horrible.

you need these - scroll down

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-new-mods.html
Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 AM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the car, looks great. I have serious spine injury and when we bought my wife's Boxster (with 996 seats) I wanted to rush to the ER with back pain after driving it for more than 50 miles. I swapped out the seats for some nice 997S seats and its a huge difference. If you can get the GT3RS seats Porka mentioned it would be even better. Good luck and enjoy the car!

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Try 2 Alieve in the morning.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have no issues with my seats but I do have lower back issues. I stretch my lower back evey morning. Simple bend over and touch my toes. Boy does this help. I have had my lower back go out 4 different times. NOT fun.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter 642
Howdy,

New to the 996 board. Pics below of the new-to-me 2003 C4S I picked up recently. I absolutely love this car. Other car is an 88 NA 944; great car, different vehicle.

Here's the question/issue. My back is killing me, literally.
usually back pain is a result of an incorrect seating position. your back hurts as it does not get sufficient support. as far as any useless forum advice can go - first try to look at your current seat and try to adjust it in some way to ensure firm contact, or try to visit some sport shops and try out seats they have there.

if clutch is tight it is imperative to maintain such distance so your leg would be still slightly bended when clutch is fully depressed and also make sure your body is secured tight when you press clutch and does not turn.

as simple solution as it is - this little device helps to secure you to the seat pretty well:
http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performan.../dp/B0010E7OB8
Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. Time to change those seats? BTW... not sure if this helps but a chiropractor might help ease the pain. I also do streching in the mornings,etc... kinda OT
Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

as simple solution as it is - this little device helps to secure you to the seat pretty well:
http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Performan.../dp/B0010E7OB8
WOW that's a great lead. I will try that!

Quick Reply: New Car, and Back Problems Already!