Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed intake install failure....parts missing...grrrrr.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:01 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fabspeed intake install failure....parts missing...grrrrr.

Last weekend removed my stock airbox, unplugged the MAF and found out I was missing 2 brackets. I told them it was for a 2000 C2, they sent me the 98-99 one by mistake and now are sending me the brackets I need. Kinda bummed. Hopefully I get the parts in soon so I can install it on my days off.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Hapich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a real adventure with that intake. I am assuming it's the carbon fiber one? I had to send mine back when the first one didn't fit. Installation is a pain in the butt from what it shows on the video. Can I ask if the badge on it is rectangular or oval? Badge= the Fabspeed logo on the tube.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 AM
carcster88
Racer

Mine is the oval badge. Got the air pump relocation part today. After speaking to FabSpeed, they stopped using the support rod. Looks like now I can attempt the re-install tomorrow, weather permitting. Will let you guys know how it goes. They also sent an updated install guide. Much better than the video they had. Wish me luck.Only hard part looks like the air pump relocation....but I have dealt with worse installs. As long as my tools can reach all the bolts...I am good.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Hapich
Racer

Air pump is the easy part. Some of the connections are quite tricky. I had to bend a wrench to get in a few spots.
I got one with an oval badge and it didn't fit for sh$t ! I sent it back and got one with a rectangular badge and it fit with a little work. I do wish you luck!! If it doesn't fit don't let them jack you around!! Send it back. PM me if you want any help or questions.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM
carcster88
Racer

Originally Posted by Hapich
Air pump is the easy part. Some of the connections are quite tricky. I had to bend a wrench to get in a few spots.
I got one with an oval badge and it didn't fit for sh$t ! I sent it back and got one with a rectangular badge and it fit with a little work. I do wish you luck!! If it doesn't fit don't let them jack you around!! Send it back. PM me if you want any help or questions.
I actually got it installed late last night. Took it out for a drive and it sounds so nice....big difference. The air pump was pretty easy. Getting to the bolt to install the heat shield bracket was a pain. So fair I love it. Not sure about any HP gains but sure gets loud at wide open throttle. The fit was OK, but not perfect. Car revs much quicker. Makes it much easier to work on the engine now without the huge OEM air box in the way. Will take a picture when I get a chance. Right now looks like the engine release cable snapped after opening and closing it so much so trunk is locked shut.

Got me some beer and enjoying my holiday.

One thing did **** me off though, when I got to removing the MAF sensor, was aghast to see safety torx bolt. I had to buy a new torx set just to get the MAF sensor out. You think for $600.....they could have included the proper bit to remove the OEM MAF sensor. Also, it is a VERY tight fit in there with the intake pipe. Just my review. Have a good one all.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM
carcster88
Racer

OK, trunk issue resolved. Here is a picture.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Hapich
Racer

Nice! Good job. It does sound great and looks cool!. Yes, that heat shield connection is a SOB. I think we are the only ones on this board with this intake. I made a little video of mine. Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQz5BmC0oA

Cheers
Old 03-19-2011, 03:06 AM
carcster88
Racer

So far I love it. Was not too tough to install once I got the air pump relocation bracket they forgot to send. The sound of it is so nice, much nicer than the Gruppe M intake I had on my BMW. Also, after ripping the restrictive OEM airbox off...filled with leaves, got to inspect the serp belt....that at even 60K miles, was splitting. I can say it was not a tough job once I had the right parts. Granted, the intake is not the cheapest, but the sound....nice. I would call the install in a rate of 1-5....this was a 1.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Hapich, Love the rear offset on the wheels. Where did you purchase them?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 807 Posts

thats interesting.

I'm surprised that fabspeed would put a bend right in front of the maf.

Thats certainly no good for maf resolution.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Hapich
Racer

"Maf Resolution" Is that that electronic band from Germany? I think I saw them at the Troubador in Hollywood. They opened for Kraftwerk back in 85'.

Last edited by Hapich; 03-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Hapich
Racer

Originally Posted by Kazual99
Hapich, Love the rear offset on the wheels. Where did you purchase them?
They are Race Inc. 19" RPK 038. Backs are 19x10.5 with a 4" lip I think. Came with the car. I think they are easy to find. Reasonably priced too! They are not the best wheel as far as weight and performance, IE track use, but they are sturdy and look nice. I have hit plenty of potholes and they are unscathed.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Hapich
"Maf Resolution" Is that that electronic band from Germany? I think I saw them at the Troubador in Hollywood. They opened for Kraftwerk back in 85'.
hysterical...its your car

There are two configurations which places an inlet tube/pipe directly in front of the MAF housing. This is commonly used for either "blow through" turbocharger/supercharger applications or "cold air" intake arrangements on naturally aspirated vehicles. The most common mistake or issue that people make with this arrangement is that they place a sharp bend or turn in the inlet assembly directly in front of the MAF housing. As the air makes the turn in the plumbing in front of the MAF unit, the majority of the airflow rides along the outside bend inside the tube. This "bias" towards one side of the unit causes the sensor to not read the correct amount of airflow, as the majority of air that should be sampled by the sensor is forced to one side of the unit.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/MAF_info4.html
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Hapich
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hysterical...its your car

There are two configurations which places an inlet tube/pipe directly in front of the MAF housing. This is commonly used for either "blow through" turbocharger/supercharger applications or "cold air" intake arrangements on naturally aspirated vehicles. The most common mistake or issue that people make with this arrangement is that they place a sharp bend or turn in the inlet assembly directly in front of the MAF housing. As the air makes the turn in the plumbing in front of the MAF unit, the majority of the airflow rides along the outside bend inside the tube. This "bias" towards one side of the unit causes the sensor to not read the correct amount of airflow, as the majority of air that should be sampled by the sensor is forced to one side of the unit.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/MAF_info4.html
I just enjoy driving around. I would probably loose a race I guess. I can live with that. I do cut my Thanksgiving turkey on the "Bias" however.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:09 AM
carcster88
Racer

Kraftwerk....ROFLOL!!!! I thought I was just one of a few that knew about that band.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed intake install failure....parts missing...grrrrr.