Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lightweight street or street/track 996 builds out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 AM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since there are no stupid questions . . . How do you tell if a lsd is still properly/optimally functioning?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sprintamx
Since there are no stupid questions . . . How do you tell if a lsd is still properly/optimally functioning?
Do you hsve one in your 99'? They're quite rare and a good LSD to begin with, much better with Guard's replacement clutches which aren't very expensive.

The easiest test is to simply jack up one side of the car leaving the other rear wheel firmly planted on the ground. With the trans in neutral and the parking brake off try to rotate the lifted rear wheel by hand at first. If it rotates you either don't have a LSD or it's clutches are worn out.

If it doesn't rotate then remove the wheel and put a torque wrench on the axel nut and try to rotate the lifted wheel. Start at 20lbs, 30lbs, then 40 lbs, etc. until it breaks free. That breaking point will tell you the condition and ramping preload of the LSD. Please report back with your findings....
Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
The Metzger motor is heavier than the M96...my understanding is that the GT3 was never lighter than the 996, but better in every other way.

Engine weight as per DIN 70020 A in kg (lbs), Manual transmission ( According to the WSM )

190* (418.86*) -- 3.4l
274.0* (595.2*) -- GT3 mkI
260* (572.7*) -- turbo

* including double-mass flywheel
Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Do you hsve one in your 99'? They're quite rare and a good LSD to begin with, much better with Guard's replacement clutches which aren't very expensive.

The easiest test is to simply jack up one side of the car leaving the other rear wheel firmly planted on the ground. With the trans in neutral and the parking brake off try to rotate the lifted rear wheel by hand at first. If it rotates you either don't have a LSD or it's clutches are worn out.

If it doesn't rotate then remove the wheel and put a torque wrench on the axel nut and try to rotate the lifted wheel. Start at 20lbs, 30lbs, then 40 lbs, etc. until it breaks free. That breaking point will tell you the condition and ramping preload of the LSD. Please report back with your findings....

Thanks JR. A VIN check confirmed a factory lsd. But, at 118,000+ miles, and who knows how many track days other than mine, I do begin to wonder.

Since I need to do a brake bleed between sessions, I'll do the check within the next few days and report back.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 120 Likes on 84 Posts

sprintmax,
Not to take this thing too far off the original track, but you might consider heading over to Maryland instead of Philly for your set up needs. What I mean is schedule an appointment with Mike at TPC in Jessup. I'll give you an example.

Last fall he spent a day at VIR with a car (a Cayman but it doesn't matter) that was what we in the business call an "internet" car. It was loaded with all the usual coilover and sway bars and end links and strut bars, etc. etc that are very popular on these forums. On paper the car should have been fast. In one half day at the track, with corner weighting and lapping, Mike found something like 10 seconds a lap on retuning the guy's setup. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how important it is to have a professional who knows these chassis doing the suspension set up for you.

As for the whole LSD conversation? Results don't lie. People can say that their factory LSD isn't worn out or that an LSD won't make much difference. All I know is I have rebuilt BRAND NEW 2010 GT3 RS LSDs and the customers found 2 seconds or more a lap before and after. Maybe the LSD did work the way Porsche intended it to, but if it did, they didn't intend it to be much of an LSD at all...
Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

I'll look into TPC. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Last fall he spent a day at VIR with a car (a Cayman but it doesn't matter) that was what we in the business call an "internet" car. It was loaded with all the usual coilover and sway bars and end links and strut bars, etc. etc that are very popular on these forums...In one half day at the track, with corner weighting and lapping, Mike found something like 10 seconds a lap on retuning the guy's setup...
Not hard to believe at all, lots of goodies don't necessarily make a car fast or fast-er, particularly w/out proper set up, which is not easy to come by.
Originally Posted by GTgears
Maybe the LSD did work the way Porsche intended it to, but if it did, they didn't intend it to be much of an LSD at all...
Porsche's LSD is intended to be very weak in order to allow the electronics to brake (or accelerate as the case may be) an individual wheel independently of others. For a track application, perhaps a good LSD would make a big difference on a C2, I've just yet to witness that. Remember that more track oriented/advanced ABS systems (BOSCH 5.7?) can help keep the rear wheel rotation speeds close under deceleration as well.

Aaron, I only put that car on track a handful of times on street rubber before selling it to you, I doubt it's seen any other track use before that. I'd be interested in hearing about the breakaway torque none the less.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ahmet
For a track application, perhaps a good LSD would make a big difference on a C2, I've just yet to witness that. Remember that more track oriented/advanced ABS systems (BOSCH 5.7?) can help keep the rear wheel rotation speeds close under deceleration as well.
The Bosch ABS unit will definitely let you brake harder without going into the ABS mode, but I've never heard that it balances wheel rotation speeds. I'll ask a GA 997 racer/friend. Also, that unit costs $10k for the part compared to Guard's LSD at roughly 25% of that cost. His disc replacements for the factory LSD are even less at about $750.
Here's video of my car at Cal Speedway a few weeks back at a NASA race. The camera car is actually a pro-truck and although I out-qualiified him, he along with half the field, pass me on the start in my low HP 996. After the start fast forward to the 4:40 mark and I come back into the pic. If you follow us around you can see my car breaking at 155mph off the banking lap after lap. We go around like this for 5 or 6 laps until he spins but it gives a good view of the stability of my rear end under hard braking. It hardly moves especially when I trail break into a corner....

FWIW, the white #23 993 RSR is Chris Cervelli's old car....

http://www.youtube.com/user/american.../3/q-HXJi1JasM
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

JR is right. If you are DEing the car, I wouldn't term an LSD essential. But if you want to win the kinds of titles that JR and Jay Matus are winning with their 996's then it's a required piece of equipment.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of a difference do you guys with street cars notice from taking out 200lbs or so? I find my 996 a little to docile for my taste and was thinking about changing it up a little bit.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
How much of a difference do you guys with street cars notice from taking out 200lbs or so? I find my 996 a little to docile for my taste and was thinking about changing it up a little bit.
200lbs is huge. How do plan on removing that much weight from a street car?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spare tire & tools, lightweight front seats, delete backs, muffler bypass, lightweight flywheel, lightweight wheels & Tires, and whatever Else I could take out that is bearable. Shouldnt the bypass, rear seats, and spare tire & tools take off ~100lbs alone?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
Spare tire & tools, lightweight front seats, delete backs, muffler bypass, lightweight flywheel, lightweight wheels & Tires, and whatever Else I could take out that is bearable. Shouldnt the bypass, rear seats, and spare tire & tools take off ~100lbs alone?
Maybe since the mufflers are really heavy pigs. Even so, where's the other 100 coming from? I'm not trying to persuade you from trying, but I think you're optimistic unless you go to lighter body panels or strip the interior.....
Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I know changing the wheels can save some substantial weight. In that process, how many of you guys went an inch smaller at the same time? Not only would that be a drop in weight, specifically rotational weight, but the smaller rolling diameter also makes for a shorter effective final drive, which would help acceleration even more.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:49 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't forget to syphon out the washer fluid. If your car has xenons, it's 1.5 gals... that's about 12 lbs right there. Four floor mats = 5 lbs. Bose or aftermarket stereos are notoriously heavy (mine was 73lbs total). Removed! Rear seatbacks, belts & pads = another 22lbs.

Of course, if you fill up the gas tank you negate all that.

Drive around with a near-empty tank and all the above removed... see if you can appreciate the difference. If this is just a street car, and you can't appreciate the difference behind the wheel, then don't worry about it anymore.

Quick Reply: Lightweight street or street/track 996 builds out there?