Sponsored by:

FOR SALE: my wife's 996CAB

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Alright, so my wife has slept on it and starting to second guess herself especially since she just drove it to the grocery store and back just to make sure she was ok with selling it. Upon her return, she started to get very sad at the thought of selling her.

The replacement for this car was going to be a 2011 BMW hardtop cab. Having only put about 800 miles in it in the last year she is going to drive it exclusively this week (~200 miles) and make a firm decision at the end of the week. As of right now, it looks like it's probably going to stay put. It's a known quantity that is spot on reliable and robust. We know the history. We have been meticulous about it. And best of all, it's paid for.
I did the same thing and was second guessing what I was planning on doing when I was selling mine. But if you're not driving it now and only drive it because it might be going.... You really need to think about what you're going to do in two months when it's sitting in the garage for a month with no one driving it again.

And I really like that BMW hardtop cab. I thinking of that for the DD after the A4.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
......It's paid for, it's got a solid reman engine, and I know the car. I don't want to dump a good car only to get stuck with something unknown!
Bingo!

Originally Posted by Eharrison
I did the same thing and was second guessing what I was planning on doing when I was selling mine. But if you're not driving it now and only drive it because it might be going.... You really need to think about what you're going to do in two months when it's sitting in the garage for a month with no one driving it again.

And I really like that BMW hardtop cab. I thinking of that for the DD after the A4.
Good point but the problem with that reason is that it has been sitting like that for almost 3 years. This was when my wife moved to a new E-class to take the kids to and from day care. Now we have a nanny and don't "need" all the cars (3 sports cars and 2 DD). It isn't costing us anything to keep it except insurance of <$200 every six month so to revisit this 6 months from now is no big deal. I'd rather revisit when we REALLY know it's time to sell it than to regret it just like I regret ever selling my GT3.

And if I think about the money aspect, we bought it for roughly 75K and put another 10K into the car. Don't feel like tossing out 60K in value to go spend
50K on another depreciating item.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi LVDell,

(top is still in new condition, the rear window will be getting an appt. to get replaced this week as it was starting to separate from the top and even though water doesn't get it I want it replaced and won't try to fix it myself). I have a 2000 996 C4Cab (Lapis blue, which also changes color in different sunlight, very cool). Question is I am also noticing my rear window (plastic) separating from the canvas. I noticed a zipper about an inch below the plastic window. Do you know if this entire window zips out? If so It might be a lot less expensive to have someone repair it. I'd appreciate it if you can enlighten me on this.
It would be very cool to buy yours as they would look awesome parked next to each other in our garage.
Thanks, Andy T
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Andy, I am not familiar enough with the design of the top to understand what (if anything ) that zipper does. All I do know is that I have had 3 windows and I'm done! Even though my canvas is pretty new (recently had the dealer replace the entire top and window) I am going to get the aftermarket solution that has the glass window.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:43 PM
apterr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dell.
kind regards.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
laxaholic33
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Arena Red is THE best color ever.
+1...never knew the gladiator story behind it though!

Quick Reply: FOR SALE: my wife's 996CAB