Sponsored by:

3.6 Engine Cam install and timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.6 Engine Cam install and timing

Can anyone help me with the procedure to install cams and adjust timing for the 3.6 engine (bank #1)? engine is out of the car. I just re-installed the cyl head.

I have the factory manual but it only covers the 5 chain engine and mine is a 3.6ltr 3-chain engine.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Mario -

I found the section in the manual for the 3 chain engine. I could not find it browsing through the Table of Contents. Found it by searching under the word "allocation." It came up with a listing of the word allocation. Then look in the section for 2002+ and it is in section 15. If you can't find it I can print it out, scan it and email it to you. I can also walk you through it.

Doug
Old 03-05-2011, 04:24 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

Doug,

I sent you an email. I don't have that section on my manual. Mine only cover 3-ghain and GT3, which has different sprocket and inlet intake adjuster.

Could you send those pages to me?
THANKS

Last edited by mmasse; 03-05-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Mario -

Manual pages are on their way along with these instructions and some additional info. Hope it helps.

The allocations on a 3.6 VarioCamPlus engine is actually pretty simple. You can see it in the manuals but I will also give you a brief description. You rotate the crank to the TDC position for the head you are working on, in this case 1-3. At that time the slots in the non-driven ends of the cams should be lined up straight up and down on bath cams with the narrow side out. If this is not the case you will need to remove the TDC tool (9595/1) and rotate the crank so that the exhaust cam slot is straight up and down. If the intake cam slot is not also straight up and down you will need to loosen the vane assembly on the driven end of the intake cam and rotate it independently from the exhaust cam so both are straight up and down. Once they are both straight up and down you should be able to lock them in this position with the tool 9686. Then loosen both the bolts on the exhaust cam sprocket and the vane assembly and rotate the crank, that will now move independently from the cams, until the crank is back at TDC. Insert the TDC tool to lock the crank. The cams are now n the proper allocation position. Tighten the bolts on the exhaust sprocket, I use a little blue Loctite. NO the exhaust cam is allocated. Next use the tool 9685 to lock the intake cam in position and tighten the nut on the vane assembly. The tool really just holds the outer nut on the cam so you can tighten the bolt that secures the whole assembly in place.

Once all this is done and tightened your cams are properly allocated, the slots should be straight up and down (they are held in that position with the 9686 tool, and the crank is at TDC. At that point you should be good to go.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
mmasse
Rennlist Member

THANKS A LOT Doug...you are the man!!

I will report back with results.

Quick Reply: 3.6 Engine Cam install and timing