Sponsored by:

If you had an engine failure...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Phi1720
The big boy pants wouldn't be to pony up the engine cost, but rather showing said bill to my wife.

I suppose it would be time to drive a cheap 1st gen miata til I finish paying the car off and then call Jake about upgrades.

Lucky for me, my wife shares the love of the sport. Otherwise I'd be done. Long story short, I didn't even get a season out of the car before it broke. At least I had a good business year, so I could afford the repair and upgrades. Last season was a blast over 1k track only miles and no hiccups. We built the motor so it will keep doing that for a long long time. This car will never have a good ROI, but thats not the point. Many of my local peers keep saying to get out and get a spec this or that, but as they say "There is no replacement for displacement". I got kind of a late start in this game and I'm not over the noise and power factors yet! Nothing like a Flat 6 flat 6 at 7k, with open pipes!

Regarding the balancing, whatever Jake does works, it was never as smooth as it is now. You can stand a dime on edge and it won't fall over.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

This would be a tempting, albeit challenging alternative. A couple compaines are doing the conversion. Any pros or cons from the experts?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

mfletch,
Lon's engine makes more power than that 997 engine, has maintained a retrofittable/ maintainable IMS bearing and has real forged pistons and billet connecting rods. His engine is the same displacement as that 3.8/997 and required no conversion and associated challenges.

It was built by one pair of human hands and Made in America. In Lon's case that was the same pair of hands that typed this message.

Regarding the balancing, whatever Jake does works, it was never as smooth as it is now. You can stand a dime on edge and it won't fall over
Thats as much the brains and hands taking the corrective action as the machine thats used to do the work. I believe in balance index like none other, even Lons pressure plate bolts are indexed to position. Everything matters.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Jake, thanks for taking the time to reply. The forged pistons and billet connecting rods are good selling points. The made in America part is my favorite. I would love to see how much power you can get from the 3.4 engine (I see from your website that you get 450 out of the 3.6...amazing), while still remaining N/A.

Last edited by Mfletch; 03-03-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

340 HP with the 3.4 on Flat6 web site. I'm not sure what the total cost would be, but I do bet it is sweat motor.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

My guess is 40+ HP would make a big difference in a 99-01. The 25HP option seems attractive as I think that would be a nice increase. Just not as nice as 40!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Say you start up your car in a parking lot and you get the dreaded "clank clank". You shut it off and call for a tow.

1. Do you tow to the dealer or your indie?

2. Do you let the local mechanic R&R the engine failure, or do you just get it immediately boxed up and sent to Jake?
If you own a M96 engine go to LNengineering.com NOW & find your nearest authorized IMS bearing upgrade installer phone # & put on your cell phone speed dial.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We very, very seldom keep engines at 3.4 loters that come at that factory displacement. Why? Because it costs the same to go to a stage 1 3.6 using the upgrades and technology that we apply. We ONLY use LN Nickies cylinders and helped develop them. We only use JE forged pistons as well, sop these parts cost the same no matter what the bore size would be. Because of that I've NEVER updated a 3.4 engine and kept it at 3.4L displacement.

I was able to tune and upgrade a 3.4 to the point necessary for my Wife to set four Land Speed Records in her 996, all of which still stand today. 152 MPH in a standing mile isn't bad from a stock 3.4 that we only did some "enhancements" to. The best part is those records are held in a class where the engine could be as large a 4.0 liters, she didn't need the extra displacement at all. As a 3.6 the car would have been too fast to pass tech and would have needed a new cage with larger diameter tubing and more pick up points as everything changes after 155 MPH, which is the reason we kept it a 3.4.

These engines respond very well to detailed assembly and upgraded parts at the time of total reconstruction.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 03-29-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

As my concerns grew about the IMS after a month of ownership on my 2003, I tracked down the previous owner by the title. ( I purchased through a dealer). At the time of purchase I felt a PPI was sufficient because there were no service records. PPI indicated no leaks. Luckily, the previous owner called today and agreed to send me all of the service receipts. He assured me he was meticulous with maintenance. Last fall he had a complete clutch/flywheel replacement done. BUT didn't replace IMS. SO....I'm still on for the IMS. But at least I don't have to buy a new clutch.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The problem with the majority of PPI evaluations is the fact that a checklist is used that is too general and does not explore the engine in depth enough based on the M96 engine issues.

A true, comprehensive PPI of the engine is an extensive procedure that should be 2-3X as detailed as the common checklists direct. It should include oil sump inspection, leak down and compression tests and much more. I have done these for folks in the past and it literally consumes more than a full day of shop time to carry out.

I have had many failure calls from folks who own cars that were bought 2-3 weeks prior and then experienced an engine failure, despite having passed an extensive PPI at the time of the transaction. One of those failed when the fellows wife picked the car up at the vehicle transporter on her way home!

Anything mechanical is a toss up, you can't realistically expect more than that here in the real world.

The sad part is some people KNOW that the car they are selling is on it's last life because of some things that may have occurred with it in the past. These cars are sometimes sold less than honestly by folks that are forced to sell or spend money that don't have when the bubble finally busts. I have seen lots of instances where we are asked to make patch up repairs to make a car "sellable" so someone could unload it. We refuse to do this and tell those folks that we'll invoice them for our time spent for diagnosis and we'll pack the car and its parts up and send them home. I have no desire to deal with someone that lacks integrity and my company will not be part of "hosing" the next buyer.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Jake, you are a lucky guy to have a wife that shares your passion for cars. It is nice to see from what you have written and testimonials on your website, that you value integrity and your's is not for sale. I don't mean to be dense, but how much of a powser increase are you able to get using a 3.4 non-egas engine as your starting point? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Yes I am lucky and she is a damn good accountant as well! She also lets me pull all nighters at the shop atleast once a week :-)

The 3.4 can be made into my 3.6 or even a 3.8 with our combinations. A stage 1 3.4 to 3.6 makes 270 RWHP, Stage II makes 290 RWHP. I expect a stage III at 3.6 soon to make over 300 at the wheels when I apply and optimize some new camshaft profiles that I've developed. What we do to the engines levels the playing field related to what the engine was in stock form.

Of course the overall goal is to achieve absolute reliability and increase longevity. The power is just added incentive for the purchaser to buy something with my name on it, nothing trumps solving the issues related to these engines. You can't win the race if you can't reach the finish line.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Seventy horsepower over stock, while still naturally aspirated is incredible. My dream car has always been the MK1 GT3, that was never sold in the US. Your engine sounds like a viable alternative, especially if you address the reliability issues that have always made our engines the "red headed stepchild", compared to the GT1 based engines. Any luck increasing the usable rpm range? Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

My power enhancements are all done to increase the usable RPM range. We make 70HP more than factory but never rev the engine higher than the peak RPM of the stock engine. All of our power is made between 2-6.5K RPM and the torque is also increased with a flat curve.

It would be easy to make an even higher HP engine that only makes HP and does so at an RPM that is un-usable. Those engines only do well on the dyno, they drive like crap and are worthless at anything less than WOT.

It is my goal to make the engine drive like a stock engine on steroids, thats how we keep all the pros and don't create any cons at the same time. Thats hard to do and took years to perfect. We even maintain stock MPG or even more, especially on stage 1 engines.

The only cons are:
-It takes me a minimum of 6 months to produce one (backlog is huge, and Rome wasn't built in a day)
-The cost of admission is a minimum of 18K
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 14 months left on my CPO....and I'm starting to save now for the Stage II 3.8 XR51

My care was PPI'ed, it's CPO'ed...and it's been back to the dealer 5 times since last July :\

Frankly, I almost want the IMS or engine to crap out before my CPO runs out.

sean

Quick Reply: If you had an engine failure...