Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How much driving does it take to clear "readiness" codes so I can get my car smogged

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much driving does it take to clear "readiness" codes so I can get my car smogged

I took delivery of my 2003 996 last month and we soon got a big rain that somehow tripped a CEL(I think it was the moisture) that went out on it's own. Nevertheless, I took it to my mechanic friend and we checked out the coils and replaced the spark plugs while at it. I then took it to get it smogged so I could register it, and was told by the smog tech that since the diagnostic codes were cleared he could not smog it until I drove it for a minimum of 100 miles under varied driving patterns until the "readiness" code cleared. I drove it about 400 miles and took it back to the smog tech for smogging. Guess what? Same problem. Still comes up not yet ready to smog. There are no diagnostic codes. Anyone know what it takes after clearing diagnostic codes to make my car ready to smog? thanks

Last edited by dennis hiip; 02-28-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: SP
Old 02-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I took delivery of my 2003 996 last month and we soon got a big rain that somehow tripped a CEL(I think it was the moisture) that went out on it's own. Nevertheless, I took it to my mechanic friend and we checked out the coils and replaced the spark plugs while at it. I then took it to get it smogged so I could register it, and was told by the smog tech that since the diagnostic codes were cleared he could not smog it until I drove it for a minimum of 100 miles under varied driving patterns until the "readiness" code cleared. I drove it about 400 miles and took it back to the smog tech for smogging. Guess what? Same problem. Still comes up not yet ready to smog. There are no diagnostic codes. Anyone know what it takes after clearing diagnostic codes to make my car ready to smog? thanks
Usually takes 2 "trips" to light the CEL if there is a problem, "trip" is starting engine & driving until it reaches operating temp so maybe you should drive several short trips to get ready for test.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the battery disconnected at sometime when you had it? That would be about the only thing that should clear all the "readiness" codes.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

yes, I did put a new battery in it. I did use the 9v devise that you plug into the cigarette lighter to save the radio codes
Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Toomanycars
Rennlist Member

I reset mine a few weeks back then went on a 120 mile cruise and checked it after I stopped. I was surprised to see it still hadn't cleared the readiness check. Once the car cooled all the way down and I did another short trip and it reached operating temps again it cleared. So I don't thinks it's so much the miles as it is letting it cool and then reach operating temps at least two or three times.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not mileage specific. It is trip specific. You need to do several short trips with a minimum coolant temperature rise. Unsure what the rise is but know you need to let it cool down for a couple hours or more between trips. I'd drive the car to work and let it cool, drive it at lunch, let it cool, drive it home, let it cool, a quick drive at night. Then repete the next day. I think about 8 or 10 drive cycles will do it.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

This happened to me after I had my engine out of the car. The tags expired as I had the car parked for 6-8 months before I fixed it. I had to have the IEPA test before I could get new tags. When to the testing station and they said the OBD had not reset yet. Drove it for a day or two and went back and it checked out fine.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html

Quick Reply: How much driving does it take to clear "readiness" codes so I can get my car smogged