996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can't open my engine lid.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Shanbin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing it now .Jump it with my 2010 audi a4.. I runned my audi for 5 minutes and jump my porsche the first time ..Failed...I am waiting for another 5 min...LOL. Porsche seems really hard to jump....
Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Did it turn over?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Shanbin
Cruisin'

a little .Jump "dada" than stop. I am going to try this time.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Shanbin
Cruisin'

wow~~It works!! awesome! Thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Good deal and glad to help. Might be a good idea to look at a new battery in the near future. Now go drive to charge that thing back up.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shanbin the battery can be jumped while removed from the car.

Good battery chargers aren't as brute force as hooking a battery to a dead battery. I think battery's only have so many times they can stand being jumped with high amp full power before the plates give up. Slow and low power on a battery helps remove the sulfer from the plates which is good. There are little devices that do this low powered charge to keep a battery charged while not driving the car. I think you could use one of these small trickle chargers. It's takes it easy on the battery and it's what I use. I'm using and old 1970's charger that has 6 and 12 volts levels of charge. You can run an extension cord to the car and leave these little chargers on over night or charge during the day and the battery should be good after a few hours or more.

Don't ever try jumping some of the old british cars. Besides driving on the wrong side of the road they ground positive and hook negative to things to be powered. Makes batterys explode if trying to jump if the cars come in contact or you use a cars body or engine for a ground. You can jump these cars but it has to be pole to pole on the batterys.

Enjoy the rides. I guess you are forced to drive the car more now.

Just a note, idling the car to charge isn't as good as a long cruise with the rpm up. Go on some nice cruising to see the countryside and you'll be good and so will the car. You also might want to check if the battery is near its end of life cycle date. Since its plate are metal in acid that date or earlier is when the battery fails so get a new battery before is always good. Jumping, heavy charging or letting the battery get low shortens the life cycle.

Quick Reply: Can't open my engine lid.