Sponsored by:

2002 window dip question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 04:22 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2002 window dip question

My c2 has started to intermittently not dip the front part of the passenger side window when the door is opened. The rear portion dips fine and I can push the front part down rather easily. window raises fine after the door is closed when the front section is pushed down.

I remember reading a post about this where it was suggested to try and force the window down... I can't find it now and I cant recall what this test indicates...

any ideas as to what needs replacing?

thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
My c2 has started to intermittently not dip the front part of the passenger side window when the door is opened. The rear portion dips fine and I can push the front part down rather easily. window raises fine after the door is closed when the front section is pushed down.

I remember reading a post about this where it was suggested to try and force the window down... I can't find it now and I cant recall what this test indicates...

any ideas as to what needs replacing?

thanks
When my 02 Boxster's passenger window either failed to dip or dipped upon opening the door and then once the door opened to raise window-- which if I failed to notice this I'd close the door and the top edge of the window would bang against the top rail with a noise that had me looking for the window to shatter into pieces -- the door lock assembly was found to be bad. The tech queried the car's security system for error codes and the error codes pointed to the lock and after testing some other switches to make sure they were ok the lock was replaced. The tech looked at the other switches/hardware just in case the cause of the problems was from one of them (even though the error codes pointed to the lock) to avoid replacing the lock cause it is expensive ($400 roughly, IIRC). But ultimately the lock proved to be the problem and after it was replaced the window behaves just fine (and the other security system symptoms have not reappeared).

But in your car's situation, the window dipping just the rear portion of the window and not the front portion suggests a mechanical problem with the window lift hardware. Thus I believe removing the inside door panel and giving the door's insides, the window lift mechanisn a thorough checkout even operating the window while the cover is removed, should have you spotting what the real problem is.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 PM
dog4delta@charter.net
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds a lot like your window regulator is due for replacement. I just replaced mine on my drivers side on my '03. When I opened the door handle, you could hear the window motor run briefly, but the window would not actually mover. I could however gently push it down the 1/4 inch or so that it was supposed to move. I replaced the regulator and once again it's working normally. You should be able to find a regulator (new but not OEM) for just over $100. Not too difficult if you want to replace it yourself. It took me about 2 hours following a DIY.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:11 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

dog4delta, could you post the regulator brand/model (source?) and the diy you follows? thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:56 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar issue. The window dips when I open the door and it dips when I use the outside handle but it doesn't dip when I just shut the door.

Quick Reply: 2002 window dip question