A few qs after a leak - gone into the luggage area

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A few qs after a leak - gone into the luggage area

Car's a UK spec, 2003 C4 Cab.

On January the gasket on the transfercase had a tiny split which leaked oil everywhere which I think got to the luggage area (boot) - I think.

It was fixed where the dealer had to manufacture the seal themselves as Porsche didn't stock the part. I'd read a couple of posts mostly from the turbo crowd with the same problem - which Porsche said that a new transmission was needed(for a gasket).

Anyway, that was fixed and afterward I was digging around the boot and found that everything was a bit oily. After taking everything apart I found that there was oil everywhere at the bottom of the boot.

I don't know exactly where the oil was from, however I think it came in by being blown in through the missing plug (see picture). Now I'm trying to see whether my theory is right, and here are my questions which the experts here might be able to help.

On the first picture, can anyone tell me what's behind the metal box? It's got plugs everywhere which indicate something could be pouring form it?

Also does anyone know the best way to get rid off oil from carpeting and panels? As can be seen from the second picture I'm hanging one of the panels to get the oil to drain. Have tried handwashing liquid, but there is still some oil and hard to get rid completely.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The fuel tank is behind the metal box. Driving the car, oil will be blown backward, not forward. I'd bet that oil leaked out of a container transported in the trunk area. What I have used to remove oil from carpet was a non flamable solvent. Wet the area really well and hang to dry or I've used a shop vac with good success. Just be sure it's NON FLAMABLE!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I would use Dawn dishwashing soap. Very good for removing oil. That is what they used on all the wildlife after the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:42 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used dishwashing liquid as well.

Seems to be quite a slow and repetitive work, even after generous application of the dishwashing liquid.

I'd want something that will break down the oil quickly without ruining the carpet .....

Last edited by 318touring; 02-15-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: A few qs after a leak - gone into the luggage area