Sponsored by:

Softronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Softronic

Has anyone used the Softronic software upgrade? Can you realy get these BHP gains?

Softronic: programming software and equipment for Porsche cars.

996 all Versions Post 1999 C4 $895.00
Model Base BHP Base Torque :: Tuned BHP Tuned Torque
3.4 300 258 :: 322 271
3.6 320 273 :: 340 286

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanye Dempsey at Pelican Parts swears by this upgrade -- he calls it the single most cost effective performance improvement you can make, at least in his recent writings on the Boxster. And if you have upgraded your exhaust etc... you further capitalize on those improvements. All of these performance improvements are according to Wayne, Dyno-confirmed.

I know two guys who have done this to their Boxsters and have been very happy with the results -- not sure how much is placebo.

Downside? Well, once you do this, you will need to use premium fuel, if you haven't been doing so already or you will have "ping" problems. The baseline Porsche programming is set so the engine can handle the full spectrum of fuel qualities.

Also, you are probably going to get a lot of posts here saying that it impacts the warranty -- another batch saying it doesn't. I don't know the true answer.

You and I have the same car: year/color/cabrio etc... -- so if you do this let me know how it goes! I'm on the fence at this point. My car runs great. Not sure how much I want to give it the auto equivalent of electroshock therapy!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Thanks, yes i also read Wanye Dempsey comment.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure that if you modify the ECU, you're voiding warranty.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's the link to the full article on the installation: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...e_Software.htm

Yes, the ease and benefits are all good. This is probably one of the best performance upgrades you can do to your car, mainly because doing anything else (engine performance-wise) is much more difficult and expensive.

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Wayne, are you going to do a 101 Projects for your 996! I've commented elsewhere that that your Boxster book has the highest information/cost ratio of any book I've read in my life. Tremendous work.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I am working on the 996 version of the book right now. Should be out next year. I wanted to get the Boxster book out into the market to see what everyone's feedback was before we publish the 996 version. We're working on a MINI Cooper book in-between these two - when that is completed (April), it will be full-speed ahead on the 996 book.

As you might have guessed, there is a lot of overlap between the Boxster and the 996. But, we're working hard to make this book very 996-specific.

Thanks for your support,

-Wayne
Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Here's the link to the full article on the installation: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...e_Software.htm

Yes, the ease and benefits are all good. This is probably one of the best performance upgrades you can do to your car, mainly because doing anything else (engine performance-wise) is much more difficult and expensive.

-Wayne
Does Pelican sell the Softronic software / cable? If so, I have 2 questions:
1. Is it refundable within a certain time period (i.e. 15 days to see if I actually like it and can feel the difference). There is a software provider for Audi that offers a 5 hour trial if installed at one of their distributors.

2. Can it be sold to someone else? Cobb tuning allows this be removing the software for a car which allows it to be sold and installed by someone else.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:35 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, we do sell the cable / software. Unfortunately, like almost all software out there, there's no returns allowed. As for transferring it to someone else, it's VIN-specific, so I don't think that's possible either.

-Wayne
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Yes, we do sell the cable / software. Unfortunately, like almost all software out there, there's no returns allowed. As for transferring it to someone else, it's VIN-specific, so I don't think that's possible either.

-Wayne
I looked on your site, but could not find it. Can you provide a link or where it's located for a 996.2? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg6.htm#item33

-Wayne
Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Ah ha. It's under Fuel and Intake - I would not have guessed to look there.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Ordered a copy last month “101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster (Motorbooks Workshop)” , very useful. Nice addition to the Bentley “Boxster Service manual”. It would be great to have a 101 for the 996s.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turbo that I just bought has the Softronic flash upgrade. The car came with the cable and CD with the software and programming in it. I don't have a lot of experience with these things. I can't tell you how fast my Turbo was BEFORE the flash, but when we were doing the PPI on the car, during our driving phase, the turbos were putting out 1.0 Bar of boost, instead of the .8 Bar of boost which is standard. All I can say is that when the car was in full boost, it was like sitting on a jet engine. The car just screamed as it leaped forward. I was shoved back into my seat - this was from a rolling start - and I am sure that it wasn't only the car that was screaming - I think that I screamed as well.

Can't speak to how it would work with a 996NA version.

Wayne: Is your 996 How to book going to have "how to's" for the Turbo as well, or just for the NA version?

larry
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

The turbo that I just bought has the Softronic flash upgrade.

Quick Reply: Softronic