996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time to Show Off My New Turbo - the Red Devil

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011 | 05:31 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fpena944
I'm surprised by this statement because everything I've read gives me the impression that the Turbo is a GT that is comfortable, quiet, and makes the NA feel more sporty.

I've not driven one and have only had a try in mine and a GT3, but I guess you're finding that's not the case?
Well, Larry had the Targa.... heavier, less stiffer chassis and likes semi's. Im with you, but most of the carrera's are modded on this forum.
Old 02-15-2011 | 06:14 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by redridge
Well, Larry had the Targa.... heavier, less stiffer chassis and likes semi's. Im with you, but most of the carrera's are modded on this forum.
And since the accident, my Targa will only make right hand turns!!!

Look, I have driven my new Turbo for less than 20 minutes. That certainly doesn't make me an authority in describing how the turbo runs compared to the 996NA. My short impression was that it was a lot tighter. The suspension movements were more abrupt. The cornering was more "like it was on rails." The engine noise didn't seem to be loud, the seats (sport seats) are wonderfully comfortable. The trans shifts very decisively. It clicks from gear to neutral to gear. My car has a short shifter on it - whose? I don't know. I will learn slowly to drive this car properly. It has a flashed ECU. As a result, it has soooo much power that from a rolling start, it will spin both rear tires in second gear (with PSM off). I'll need to learn how to control that.

In conclusion, I'll just say this. That turbo is one wicked fast car!!!!!

larry
Old 02-15-2011 | 09:14 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

might I suggest you drive the car a bit, maybe a few days... 20 mins wont flush out any issues the car might have, and being that you just bought it, if there are issues you have a better chance to have them corrected by the seller... if you wait a few months, they are very un likely to work with you on found issues.
beautiful car BTW :-)
Old 02-15-2011 | 11:08 PM
larry47us
Pro

Jon:

I appreciate what you're saying. The reality is that this car was bought as is, where is. I have identified a number of minor things that are wrong with the car:

1. Seepage from the front differential.
2. Seepage from some connection on the left side of the engine. I don't remember what my wrench said it was.
I brought up both of these things, and they gave me an additional $500 off on the car.

3. The driver's sun visor is broken - I will have to replace it.
4. The carbon fiber around the right hand dash vent is peeling up - needs to be glued down. The left hand one was loose as well, and someone did a lousy job of gluing it. It needs to be cleaned up a bit.
5. The toolkit is missing - they are ordering a replacement for me.
6. The trunk compressor is missing - they are ordering a replacement for me.
7. The lower strut bearing on the driver's side is noisy. It groans when you turn the steering wheel.

None of these things are items that need to be fixed immediately. Beyond that, there may be other things, but I doubt that I would figure out what they were. I will need some time to get familiar with the car, and I don't think that I have any further recourse against the seller. They have been very cooperative, and I don't think that they are going to do anything more for me.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

larry
Old 02-16-2011 | 12:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larry47us

Van, you missed it - Not only is wifey not happy, she hasn't spoken to me since I told her that I found a replacement for my wrecked 996. I am actually trading in wifey for the Red Devil. We are getting divorced - me and wifey, not me and the Red Devil. She wasn't happy when I bought my 73 Targa years ago, and it has just grown from there.

LOL, I was being sarcastic, but I didn't know you were getting divorced. We're all supporting whatever it takes to have such a cool turbo.
Old 02-16-2011 | 03:34 PM
Hapich
Racer

VERY NICE BUD !!!
Old 02-16-2011 | 05:29 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Larry -

If you want to add heat to the seats it is not that hard. The center foam cushions can be replaced with ones that have heat, actually the upper/back one is the same as the standard seat. Then some wiring, relays and switches and you have OEM seat heat. I know because I did it on my car. You can also go after market for less than half the cost.

Quick Reply: Time to Show Off My New Turbo - the Red Devil