Sponsored by:

Double Din Units

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Double Din Units

I have been looking at going to a touch double din audio system. I was nearly ready to get a Kenwood when I looked at the owner's manual and discovered that the ipod appears to connect only from the front of the unit. My plan was to put an old ipod in the glovebox, not have to connect my phone each time I get in the car so that will not work for me.

I thought that perhaps someone had already been through this selection process and might be able to give me some guidance. Bluetooth phone is a must. On the wish list would be something with a front panel usb for charging my phone. Also on the wish list would be voice dialing, but I have not been able to find that.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

I'm seriously considering the Kenwood DNX-9960 right now. I believe you can put the iPod in the glovebox with this unit.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I ended up choosing a Kenwood DNX-6960 instead of the 9960. The main differences that I liked between the two were the fact that the 6960 has a **** instead of buttons to control the volume, and the 9960 has a motorized face, which I don't like. The 6960 has a fixed face, so it has a CD slot above the screen and a little compartment on the front that opens up to access the micro SD card slot. I'm having a custom iPod/iPhone dock built for it that allows me to slide my iPhone into a little slot on the dash beneath the head unit. The iPhone will be flush with the dash when it is docked, and it will charge it too. I believe the 6960 offers voice dialing (I'll confirm that later this week), but it doesn't offer voice control of the nav like the 9960. I opted for the Sirius radio and the NavTeq traffic add-ons.

I'll post a pic when I pick up the car from the installer on Wednesday afternoon.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I actually just read the owner's manual - the DNX-6960 supports voice dialing for up to 35 phonebook entries.

Quick Reply: Double Din Units