Sponsored by:

C2 vs C4 Understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Geeforce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 vs C4 Understeer?

In my quest to narrow down the preferences for my purchase of a 996, I have been test driving and comparing the feel of the C2 vs C4S.

I have driven 2 C2 MKII's which I liked the feel of but when I drove a 2003 C4S, I felt a lot more understeer than the C2 in the corners. I realize this could be affected by incorrect tire pressures but I can't help wonder if this is inherent in the design with the wider stance of the 4S.

Can anyone shed some light on this? All cars I drove were completely stock with stock wheels.

Thanks, Scott
Old 02-06-2011, 04:01 PM
V225
Racer

Where and how hard did you drive the cars? It's very difficult to get to the limits of these cars on roads, unless you're really a daredevil.

On the street at least, I can't get my C4S to induce understeer. On the track, the stock C4s did exhibit some. It was subtle however, nothing that's going to make you say "wow, this thing is a pig." More like a safety net for when you get near the limit. I haven't driven a C2 on track so I can't really comment on it.

Also, the optimal lines through a corner for an awd and a rwd car are going to be different. If you're trying to drive the 4 & 4S like you are the C2, chances are you're not getting to tap the full potential of the car.

I've since done some weight reduction on my car, and removing weight off the rear end has really helped to cure the understeer. Now I can get the car to rotate pretty easily on demand.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I have not driven a C4 but my Quattro's have a considerable amount of understeer vs my C2. Obviously the weight distribution is different in a Audi vs. Porsche
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM
V225
Racer

Originally Posted by r1de23
I have not driven a C4 but my Quattro's have a considerable amount of understeer vs my C2. Obviously the weight distribution is different in a Audi vs. Porsche
I have owned a B6 S4. It was the most understeering car that I have ever driven. The C4S does not in any way drive like that car.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by V225
I have owned a B6 S4. It was the most understeering car that I have ever driven. The C4S does not in any way drive like that car.
I believe it, there is so much weight forward of the front wheels...
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On the street at least, I can't get my C4S to induce understeer.
Piece of cake, here's how: in a reasonably tight turn--90 or tighter--second gear corner, overbrake before the corner. Then before turn-in, get on the throttle and haul the wheel over while the weight's transferring to the rear. Front will push wide well before the back breaks loose.

It's just like every 911, ever, just at somewhat higher limits. Unless you stand it on its nose going in, you'll be understeering first.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM
V225
Racer

Yup. That'd do it! Even better, if you're standing still and turn the wheel, the car doesn't turn at all! No matter how much weight I reduce, I can't seem to fix this problem.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Geeforce
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback on this. The C4 was the first AWD car I have driven so from some of your posts I am gathering, these cars push a little more than rear drivers.
I was able to eliminate most of this underrsteer in my BMW 330Ci by changing the wheel and tire sizes to a non staggered set up which is why I was sensitive to this when comparing the C2 vs the C4.
BTW, the owner of the C4 was sitting next to me during the test drive and told me to go for it on my favorite highway entrance ramps. I still think the tire pressure were a bit off though.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:37 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Geeforce
In my quest to narrow down the preferences for my purchase of a 996, I have been test driving and comparing the feel of the C2 vs C4S.

I have driven 2 C2 MKII's which I liked the feel of but when I drove a 2003 C4S, I felt a lot more understeer than the C2 in the corners. I realize this could be affected by incorrect tire pressures but I can't help wonder if this is inherent in the design with the wider stance of the 4S.

Can anyone shed some light on this? All cars I drove were completely stock with stock wheels.
I'd bet that the 4WD system has way more to do with it than the wide stance. My C4 understeers, just like most of them. You might be able to tune a little bit of it out, but a 4WD 911 is almost always going to do it.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The 996 R/awd front VC coupling mode is normally always so flaccid that I really doubt that any of this effect is the result of drive coupling to the front. The VC drive coupling remains flaccid, <10%, except under sustained F/R tire slippage.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had an interesting experience going from a completely ideal handling car (perfect performance alignment) to a complete pig just by changing tyre sizes. To be honest I was shocked by just how much difference it made by going to 285s in the rear instead of 265s. The details are on my web page but the point is that if the setup (pressures/tyres/alignment etc) aren't optimised then the handling results can vary widely in a 911 with all that weight over the rear.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OZ951
I just had an interesting experience going from a completely ideal handling car (perfect performance alignment) to a complete pig just by changing tyre sizes. To be honest I was shocked by just how much difference it made by going to 285s in the rear instead of 265s. The details are on my web page but the point is that if the setup (pressures/tyres/alignment etc) aren't optimised then the handling results can vary widely in a 911 with all that weight over the rear.
After reading your web page and understanding your suspension and tyre set up, its clear you created more understeer. Perhaps not intentionally. I have an 01C4 with the X74 suspension with Michelin Pilot sports as track tires (235F and 285R) starting with tire pressures below 30lbs cold, to an optimal 34-35 psa hot. These tyres will behave very poorly when over-inflated, thus creating the sense of less traction when in fact you should be incresing grip with a soft compound r-tyre. Although the tyre size makes a difference, the biggest difference here was incorrect tire pressures.

These 996's are extremely versatile, with the correct suspension and tyre set up you can achive a great balance. Remeber the car is set up with understeer by design from the factory for safety.

hope this helps
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Geeforce
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rob996
Remeber the car is set up with understeer by design from the factory for safety.
I get that most manufacturers do this but I was trying to determine if the C4's have more understeer than the C2's. I'm not sure anyone was able to answer this directly other than saying that most AWD understeer more in general which doesn't address the 911's directly.

I guess I'll know for sure when I test drive another C4S.
Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The C4 and C4S will understeer more than a C2, that's just a fact. C4's carry some additional weight up front plus feed power to the front wheels mean that you are simply asking the front tires to do more.

I had the opportunity to drive a C2 and a C4 on an autocross course and a slalom at a dealer event several years ago and I'd say the difference was pronounced under those conditions. In every day street driving, not so much. That being said I would not say the C4 understeers badly from the factory, in fact in my experience it has less understeer (stock) than a RWD E46 M3 (stock).

As others have said there are steps you can take to dial some of the understeer out of both the C2 and the C4 if you so desire.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:53 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

With that in mind a larger front tire to back tire ratio would reduce understeer given the other parameters are held constant, correct?

Last edited by c didy; 01-05-2020 at 01:22 AM.

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4 Understeer?