Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

3rd brake light LED - do they really work?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:08 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED turn signal / indicators for 996

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Also - I did replace the amber front side marker bulbs and the parking lights (the ones inside the headlight assembly) with LED bulbs, although that was as much for bulb longevity as it was for appearance.
Hi Dennis. Know I'm reviving an old thread but do you still know which make and model of bulb these were or where you got them? Keen on something brighter as people don't always seem to notice the factory ones on my yellow car. What year was your car? Thanks. You may not find this so will PM you too.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I wish I remember... I think it was a vendor called Super Bright LEDs. You might give ECS Tuning a try. I just ordered some new LED license plate bulbs from them. My car is a 2002. At this point, the exterior LEDs that I have are as follows:

- side markers
- 3rd brake light (both)
- parking lights

I haven't done the turn signals yet, but I'd like to do that.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:45 AM
timmhaines
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third brake led abs light and psm on

A 6 ohm 50 watt resitor in parallel will make the 256k ohms that the LED brake light has appear to be approx 5 ohms to the car, one end of the resistor to one wire and the other end to the 2nd wire so it is connected just like the light is. Do not put it in series that will dim the light. this will prevent the abs and psm light from coming on when you turn the lights on and keep the cruise working.
Hope this helps, Tim
Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 AM
timmhaines
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs blink to fast

Inside the flasher under the drivers dash, remove it and open it up there is a small axial capacitor, changing the value of this cap changes the blink rate. smaller cap quicker larger cap longer. This is how the blink time is controlled. this will allow LEDs to blink correctly.
Hope this helps, Tim
Old 06-26-2015, 08:42 PM
injurylawyer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X-UFO
There's no reason why the LED lights shouldn't last years and years and years. I have had mine on for a few years.

The only advice I'd give from experience is that if you (like me) have also got the LED rear lights then you will need a ballast resistor in line with the LED 3rd brake light. This is because the LEDs draw a minimum amount of current compared with bulbs. Therefore it looked open circuit to the electric system and my cruise control didn't work (996 manual) until a load resistor was put in the circuit. Then everything worked perfectly well. Had them on a couple of years

I had the EXACT problem that you did.

Your post proved valuable in my research for a solution.

Got home and pulled the DEPO LED tail lights. Put the OEMs in and went for a test drive. Cruise was working again....so we know for sure it was the LED tail lights.

So, I had 50w 6ohm reistors on hand. I pulled the lights and as in videos posted by Saturn of Delray Customs, rather than have it dangling or attached to the plastic housing, spliced the sleeve around the six wire harness to make a one inch gap about 4 inches from the grommet.

Pulled the orange/black tail light positive and the brown ground that Ahsai pointed out to me and ran them parallel. I mounted them on the back of the cavity near the other factory resistor that came with the DEPOs (presumably the one for the blinkers to prevent hyper blinking)---Did same on both sides (x2).

Just came back and my cruise is working again!

Thanks for your post.

Perhaps it is a '99 thing because the DME changed from '99 (first year of production in US although in Europe I understand that it was actually introduced in '98) to the later models. The cruise system is presumably different to later models in that my throttle is not electronic as they introduced on the Turbo and then later years (drive by wire vs. e-gas). Perhaps that system on my '99 is more sensitive to the resistance....

Thanks for posting!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd brake light LED - do they really work?