Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Frequent blue smoke on startup and Motorsport AOS? UPDATED...

Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dervish
The scoring is the result of poor design, simple as that. The 3.4 engine has graduated coolant channels, getting larger as you go around the engine from cylinder 1 to 6. On the 3.6 the channel and gasket holes are all the same size, resulting in cylinder 6 not getting as much coolant flow as 5 which doesn't get as much as 4 etc etc etc. The scoring is evident on the thrust side of the piston where the heat is greatest. I'm massively over simplifying things but that's the idea. It's all here for reading http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%2...20part%205.pdf There's a lot of info but 3.6 owners should seriously read it.

And for the record I had 51000 miles on the engine and was religious about oil changes, every 5k miles, and always warmed the oil (not water temp) fully before driving hard.
I just finished reading the article and it's shed some more light on these engines for sure!

I'm going to check the rad fluid and possibly change it, and do the rad cleaning very soon.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just keep driving it until she's dead?

Last edited by AWDGuy; 05-01-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 AM
Daza
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blue smoke Cayenne

Originally Posted by OZ951
Your description of the issue does sound more like valve stem seals (oil leaking past them after an over night sit). Sounds like a good question to ask Baz Hart with respect to how common the issue is. Two other tests that can indicate valve stem sealing issues are (1) to see if there is a puff of smoke after the car has been at idle for a couple of minutes and then you pull away (2) Let the car roll down a steepish hill in low gear (no throttle hence with the engine doing the braking & high vacuum) and then accelerate away at the bottom and see if there is a puff of smoke.
Hi I am having similar issues with my '08 Cayenne; a cloud of blue smoke on startup and stuttering and puff of smoke after the car has been at idle for a couple of minutes and then acceleration away.
Also when I slow the car down a hill in low gear (no throttle hence with the engine doing the braking & high vacuum) and then accelerate away at the bottom and there is a puff of smoke.
I have changed the AOS last weekend and new spark plugs but not much change. the first two plugs were black with carbon n oil build up. Oil consumption is high.. 100K on the clock i'm starting to think its some engine seals?
I only have her 3 months too, bought from a dealership...purchased an after sales warranty with first warranty group.
Any advice would be appreciated
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

sounds like scored cylinders. get the cylinders scoped. Cayennes do score, probably not at the frequency the 996's do
Old 04-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Daza
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
sounds like scored cylinders. get the cylinders scoped. Cayennes do score, probably not at the frequency the 996's do
thanks. How do i go about getting this done? Is it expensive?
if that its the problem its prob a total engine rebuild right?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

I don't know how labour intensive it is as I never worked on one. But essentially they use a small camera to access the cylinder to take a look at the walls. on most vehicles, it can be done by removing the spark plug and going through that way.

you can't fix scored cylinders without opening up the engine.

You will get better answers in the Cayenne forum!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frequent blue smoke on startup and Motorsport AOS? UPDATED...