Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

4-post lift question- what are the limitations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 4-post lift question- what are the limitations?

I am considering a 4-post lift for storage and service. I cannot expand my garage past its existing 2 bays, since I am on the beach, so the storage would be really helpful. I can expand upwards, however!

I would use the lift for service regularly as well. The question I have is: what are the limitations of a 4-poster?

Is it possible to drop and engine and transmission with a 4-post lift? Does anyone have experience with this? I recognize that brake and suspension work is more cumbersome with a 4-post.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh, your on the beach and can't expand? thats terrible.. i'll tell you what... I'll trade you so you dont have that problem... . ;-)
Old 12-30-2010, 01:55 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
I am considering a 4-post lift for storage and service. I cannot expand my garage past its existing 2 bays, since I am on the beach, so the storage would be really helpful. I can expand upwards, however!

I would use the lift for service regularly as well. The question I have is: what are the limitations of a 4-poster?

Is it possible to drop and engine and transmission with a 4-post lift? Does anyone have experience with this? I recognize that brake and suspension work is more cumbersome with a 4-post.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
I have a 4-post lift, and its been a great resource! Get a hydraulic jacking bridge, and you can easily lift one end or the other to work on wheels/brakes/suspension. The center between the ramps is basically wide open. Most engine/tranny workl should be servicable from underneath, unless you get a lift that's very narrow. IIRC, the standard width between ramps is around 37 inches. Great for storage, easy to get on and off, and IMHO, less risk than if working on a 2-poster. Plus the ramps are handy for placing tools/parts while working on the car.

FWIW, my garage is a bit tight, and when the lift isn't fully up or down, getting around/under the lift can be annoying. But that's a function of my garage layout.

Remember you'll need air compressor to operate the safety locks and jacking bridge. 220V would be better than 120V. Many 4-posters also have a wheel kit available which would allow you to roll the entire lift, as long as air & electric cables reach.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is mine. It is great for storage(although the top car doesn't get out much) but not so great for working on cars especially if you do not have much room on each side of it, like mine. I also measured to see if my 965's motor would fit between the ramps and it wouldn't so it is at the shop for work right now.

Remember you will have to raise the heigth of the garage door and remove the opener for the type that runs on the spring temsion rod. I have a Chamberlian for this. For 2 911's I needed about 12' so I had to cut a "hat" into the ceiling.
Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2010, 04:13 PM
losdeanos
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine. It is great for storage(although the top car doesn't get out much) but not so great for working on cars especially if you do not have much room on each side of it, like mine. I also measured to see if my 965's motor would fit between the ramps and it wouldn't so it is at the shop for work right now.
Nice Set up
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tim!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I also measured to see if my 965's motor would fit between the ramps and it wouldn't so it is at the shop for work right now.
I wonder what the minimum width would be for clearance... I think that some of the 4-post lifts have adjustable ramps.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember you will have to raise the heigth of the garage door and remove the opener for the type that runs on the spring temsion rod. I have a Chamberlian for this. For 2 911's I needed about 12' so I had to cut a "hat" into the ceiling.
Nice set up, nice 911s
Old 12-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
I wonder what the minimum width would be for clearance... I think that some of the 4-post lifts have adjustable ramps.
I went out and measured and mine is 8' 4" total width. I will say that my ramps are not adjustable and with both the turbo or the 996 on it there is not a lot of spare room on the ramps to keep the tires completely on the ramps. So mine I would not reduce the width of the ramps but you could move them out but it would increase the overall width to more then a one car bay and I do not think they make this? I only have 8" between the lift and the side wall so I had to take the pump off the lift itself and hang it on the wall with uni-strut.

I measured and check and re-measured for a couple of years before pulling the trigger and lucky for once my plan worked. Many questioned if it would including myself?

Originally Posted by Barn996
Nice set up, nice 911s
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I think I might be able to afford the lift, but not the second 911. Darn!!! I think I am jealous.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe I should buy a lift, park the Honda underneath it, and then "accidentally" lower the lift!

Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Maybe I should buy a lift, park the Honda underneath it, and then "accidentally" lower the lift!

I won't tell a soul
Old 12-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911

Come on over and use mine
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

While I am showing off here is my other car that lives on the lift.
Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

While I am showing off here is my other car that lives on the lift.
Have always loved the look of that Alfa. Also reminds me of my old '73 BMW 2002. Traded that car in for an engagement ring 15 years ago..

Quick Reply: 4-post lift question- what are the limitations?