Sponsored by:

My DIY IMS Bearing Upgrade and AOS Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:14 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Nice write up. I am going to drop my engine and transmission next month and go through everything. As mine is a tip and needs an AOS, plug tubes, etc... it makes more sense to drop everything. If I had a manual, after reading your write up, I would probably just drop the transmission like you did. Nice work!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Nice write up. I am going to drop my engine and transmission next month and go through everything. As mine is a tip and needs an AOS, plug tubes, etc... it makes more sense to drop everything. If I had a manual, after reading your write up, I would probably just drop the transmission like you did. Nice work!
The WSM are not very helpful. Rennlisters, on-line posts and some Pelican Parts articles have been the most useful. I just ordered a copy of the 101 Project for Your Boxster in the hopes that I'll get some useful information from that too.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post, Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pterfloth
The WSM are not very helpful. Rennlisters, on-line posts and some Pelican Parts articles have been the most useful. I just ordered a copy of the 101 Project for Your Boxster in the hopes that I'll get some useful information from that too.
Yup, all the info you need will be in there (a 996-specific book will be coming out sometime in 2011). I also have articles online for the replacement of the Air-Oil Separator and the Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ft_Bearing.htm

-Wayne
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican Parts
Yup, all the info you need will be in there (a 996-specific book will be coming out sometime in 2011). I also have articles online for the replacement of the Air-Oil Separator and the Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ft_Bearing.htm

-Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I am looking forward to receiving your Boxster book. Your technical articles are much appreciated and very helpful. Your 996 book will be most welcome by all of us!
Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 AM
pterfloth
Instructor

The new AOS is installed. Cam plugs are out and the cam positions marked. The bearing is here and ready to be installed.

I wasn't sure whether I needed to remove the outer seal on the LN bearing prior to installation. Some of the pictures on the LN website of the bearing installed look different from the bearing as you get it. There is a cage on the outer side of the bearing. An email to Charles at LN was quickly responded to, even though the office was closed for Christmas. Now that's service! Many thanks Charles! The bearing should be installed as received.

On Sunday or Monday I'll do the bearing extraction and installation. Lots of pictures to come.

Merry Christmas to all. I wish you a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2011!

Last edited by pterfloth; 12-25-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You mean 2011 ?
Old 12-25-2010, 03:51 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barn996
You mean 2011 ?
Oops! Yes 2011! Corrected.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:25 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Here are photos of the cam plugs removed and the cam position marked.
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Tensioner removal.

Here is a picture of the driver's side the chain tensioner still installed and one post removal. Both tensioners appear to be in good condition.
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

IMS Bearing Extraction

Pic#1 Old bearing in place.

Pic#2 Extraction tool installed

Pic#3 Oil gushing out after bearing extracted. Th oil had a burnt smell and there was a lot of it

Pic#4 Old bearing with seals removed. The entire bearing was filled with oil. From what I can see so far, the engine oil was lubricating the bearing pretty well. I'll do a complete disassembly later to look for wear or corrosion.
Attached Images     
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Houston, we have a problem!

I have run into a problem inserting the new dual row bearing. The bearing is stuck half way in and has shifted slightly crooked ~ 1/16". I can not get it out or get it in farther right now. Very disappointing. I had it in the freezer overnight but it was hard to get in right from the start.

I am not sure what to do next and am waiting for input from LNE. I can't extract it using the extraction tool because the spindle size is larger than the old bearing. I don't dare hammer on it any harder than I already have and already fear I may have hammered too hard. Everything had been going very, very well up until this point. Maybe LNE makes an adaptor for the extraction tool that fits the new spindle.

Here are two photos showing how the bearing is crooked. I made a mark on a piece of wire to show the difference from side to side.
Attached Images   
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Could use something like this? Put a double nut on the threaded stud and used a nut extractor. Just a thought.
http://www.getcotools.com/sec_9_internal_extractors.htm
Attached Images  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hopefully LNE has seen this before and can walk you through a fix...fingers crossed for you. That was a lot of dark oil in pic #3 above. Is that a normal amount of oil with other IMS replacements?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Barn996
Hopefully LNE has seen this before and can walk you through a fix...fingers crossed for you. That was a lot of dark oil in pic #3 above. Is that a normal amount of oil with other IMS replacements?
What you see is what was left after most of it gushed out! There was a lot of oil and I had to scramble to position my bucket. By the time I was able to grab my camera most of the oil had flowed out. Based on what I saw it is conceivable that the IMS was pretty much full of oil.

Yes. I hope LNE will be able to help.

Quick Reply: My DIY IMS Bearing Upgrade and AOS Replacement