My DIY IMS Bearing Upgrade and AOS Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:44 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
@oz951,

You did all that in this weather with the UK at a stand still.

Well done m8.
Cheers, yeah, I've adjusted to the concept of sub zero wrenching now. To be honest I think I like the fact that it's too cold to rain and since the conditions haven't been great for driving on the weekends it hasn't been so bad getting these improvements done on the car. Looking forward to the first drive though, it's going to be like a new car!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OZ951
Cheers, yeah, I've adjusted to the concept of sub zero wrenching now. To be honest I think I like the fact that it's too cold to rain and since the conditions haven't been great for driving on the weekends it hasn't been so bad getting these improvements done on the car. Looking forward to the first drive though, it's going to be like a new car!
Sweet page(s) OZ! Well done.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Here are some more pics.

Pic #1 My stand set-up. The engine and rear are supported by jack stands with the wheel stands underneath for additional safety. The front is still on the wheel stands. It ends up with the car about 28" off the ground and level. I had to put the Harbor Freight transmission jack on top of a row of 4x4s to reach the tranny, but was able to roll the tranny out on the stand after lifting it off of the 4x4's.

Pic #2 The tranny bolt organizer. They are all different and this keeps them in order.

The extraction kit has arrived but I was only able to order the retrofit bearing today so it will be several days before I get to pull the bearing and replace it. I also ordered all the bolts, filters, tranny fluid etc. I will need plus a new AOS and AOS boot. The AOS is sitting right there in front of me so I'll be tackling that next.
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

wow is that clean. I dont like that drain blug goop at all. That actually scares me a bit. Reminds me of the oil in my 928 when i had thrust bearing failure (TBF). I think you are doing this in the nick of time.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Good Job, That stack of wood under each wheel is crazy...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by r1de23
Good Job, That stack of wood under each wheel is crazy...
I blame it on all the Behavior Based Safety Training at work. They would be so proud!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Be careful when you put the slave back in, make sure it's exactly aligned on the fork and you can install it before you lift the transaxle back into position.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodgerdodger
Be careful when you put the slave back in, make sure it's exactly aligned on the fork and you can install it before you lift the transaxle back into position.
Amen to that
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodgerdodger
I've been trying to decide whether to put the slave on the tranny prior to installation and do a clutch bleed after or install it once the tranny is back on. I don't have a motive bleeder but I will need one eventually anyway to flush my brake lines out. That was going to be one of my next projects.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

After reading about Rodgers experience I triple checked the slave cylinder rod was properly seated in the arm - ie even though it can be a bitch to get it bolted in place I did so then undid it and checked that the rod had the optimoly lube on the end (which was picked up from the fresh blob of lube I had applied to the throw out arm - and it did) so I went ahead and re-seated it again knowing it was seated correctly.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pterfloth
I've been trying to decide whether to put the slave on the tranny prior to installation and do a clutch bleed after or install it once the tranny is back on. I don't have a motive bleeder but I will need one eventually anyway to flush my brake lines out. That was going to be one of my next projects.
put the tranny on the jack. Get it back under the car. get it almost up into place. Leave room to put the slave back on... then complete tranny install... no need to un hose it....
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
put the tranny on the jack. Get it back under the car. get it almost up into place. Leave room to put the slave back on... then complete tranny install... no need to un hose it....
Yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Alright, AOS is out. Hate those F'n clips. I don't know how you get this sucker out from the top. All my clip tabs were facing towards the front of the car. Even with the tranny off and good access it was a pain. Probably took me 2 hours, mainly fiddling with the clips and the squeeze and pull connectors. I hate squeeze and pull connectors of any kind. I always struggle. Even the MAS connection on the air box gives me grief. Anyway the AOS is out and that is last time those hose clips will get used.

I also pinned the engine at TDC. Waiting for the LN bearing to show up and then out with the old and in with the new. Hopefully that will happen early next week.

Pic #1 AOS in
Pic #2 AOS out
Pic #3 AOS
Pic #4 Engine pinned at TDC. You can where the pin nestles into the engine in this pic.
Attached Images     
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Awesome write-up and pics. Thanks for sharing and I hope everything goes back together nice and easy.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Good luck with the re-installation of the AOS - re-fitting the AOS is fiddly, especially getting the part with the brown O-ring/seal inserted into the block properly (and that was with a gods eye view with the motor out of the car). You might want to use one of those small flexible inspection mirrors to look at that part to be sure the thing is seated correctly.

Quick Reply: My DIY IMS Bearing Upgrade and AOS Replacement