996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Should I drive it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
mikey55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad I read Jake Ray's above post. Last Friday I put my Porsche into the shop for the IMS preventive replacement, new clutch, AOS replacement and I just called my indy and told them to r and r the water pump too. I believe they were going to pull the engine anyway. Flush the radiators etc too. Pretty much gave them a blank check. I will post pictures of the replaced parts when I get it back.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

more likely to fail from not driving...
Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
First off, don't be afraid to drive the car unless it has some sort of mechanical noise that is unexplained. Any engine can fail at any time, be it a Ferrari, Porsche or Kia. Those who work with engines everyday experience this and understand it much better than anyone else.
I'm the one brining it up and I'm not knocking your contributions to the knowledge on these engines. I tried to purchase the retrofit from you but ended up buying from LN since you said you were busy.

Regardless of your contributions, as a business you should disclose your interest in the IMS issue. That's all.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:26 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Fact is 10% of people can't be pleased and another 10% will complain about everything, the remaining 80 are loyal, grateful and appreciate our efforts and appreciate the direct way that we state the issues.

The way I see it, at least the most problematic areas have been addressed and have a preventive for those who do believe in the problems and want to be proactive.
Jake (and others):

I have had my 996 for all of 3 months now. I did some research and reading of many of these posts by Jake and others on the IMS/RMS failures in the two weeks between when I bought the car and took delivery. I ran the gamut between panicked, to concerned, to having a reasonable course of action. I am grateful to Jake for his taking the time to give us the benefit of his experience. Then, it's up to you as a consumer, to decide what - if anything - you are going to do. But that's the case with any car, and these things are more critical and more expensive with highly engineered sports cars.

For me, I will sit quietly, change my oil every 5K miles, and wait till I need a new clutch. Then I'll decide whether I need to do the IMS replacement or not. In the meantime, any newbie needs to understand that turning to an "expert" forum like this, and asking a 4 word question is like opening the floodgates. You're probably NOT going to get an answer you want to hear, you will NOT be satisfied, you will NOT be re-assured, you will become convinced that buying one of these cars will spell financial doom for you.

I will drive the hell out of my car, smile with every mile, push it to redline at least once a day, take it to a knowledgeable shop for regular maintenance, and dispel the nightmares with dreams of heel and toeing through the daily commute.

larry
Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S

Why , thank you Ray for noticing.

Quick Reply: Should I drive it?