Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oakley Design Sequential Shifter for 996

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
fjr_wertheimber

Default Oakley Design Sequential Shifter for 996

Anyone have experience with this? Sounds interesting...
Can't find any price for it, but the "we can only make so many of them per year" part makes me think it's uber-mucho-dinero...

From their site: http://www.oakleydesign.eu/sequential-gear-shift
Sequential Gear Shift SystemUsing the original Porsche gearbox we provide a very high quality, proven system that changes the shift pattern from H Pattern to sequential.

This system has been fitted to both road variant models such as 997 GT3, GT2, Turbo etc. and 996 Cup cars.

It is easy to operate, provides faster shifts with all the advantages of sequential systems on downshifts (i.e. no 5th to 2nd!) allowing you to be faster and smoother without the worry of wrong gear selection.

- Quicker and more precise shifting (no more shifting mistakes) i.e 5th to 2nd!
- Reduced lap times
- Assembled directly onto your Porsche gearbox
- Dash mounted LED displays the current gear selected - turning your car into a true race car!
- Road Legal
- Can use standard gear **** or taller unit as displayed in product images

Sequential System explained...
The system was designed by a Siemens engineer for Porsche 996 Cup cars. In the end Porsche decide not to use the system (due to cost at the time) and the designer bought back the rights to the system which has now been defined and is marketed by Oakley Design.

The only physical change to the car is to remove the shift unit in the car and replace with the taller sequential shifter. Remove the two OE cables and replace with one cable supplied. The unit then bolts to the side of the Porsche gearbox. No welding, bending or permanent modification is required. The system is electromagnetic. It receives a signal from the shifter in the car. The driver pulls back for first, again for 2nd, again for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Reverse is one push forward of neutral.

When shifting from 2nd to 3rd the shifter does the sideways movement on the box in addition to the fore or aft movement and the same from 4th to 5th (effectively across the gate).

Use of the clutch is required as the system still uses the OE gears.

The result is shifting is about twice as fast as OE. It removes room for error especially when track driving i.e 5th to 2nd which is often catastrophic to engines and transmission.

In addition shifts are much easier mid-corner especially when pulling larger G forces. With this system it is just a quick ‘******’ of the gear and keep accelerating.

It makes much more sense when driving it….!!!

This system is ‘fit and forget’ ie. it needs no maintenance. Also the car can be reversed back to OE H pattern if and when required.

Please note : We are limited on how many systems we can make per year
Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The system was designed by a Siemens engineer for Porsche 996 Cup cars. In the end Porsche decide not to use the system (due to cost at the time)

Ouch. Too expensive for Cup cars = mucho.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch. Too expensive for Cup cars = mucho.
No joke. Those guys will spend 5k to lose 10lbs. I wonder what this cost?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
No joke. Those guys will spend 5k to lose 10lbs. I wonder what this cost?
Ha! all I could think of when I read this comment was Oprah.....
Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Sounds pretty nice.... in a gt2, sure. On a carrera.... not so much.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The SMG in in my M5 would cost just under $20k if it went south, and that was a production gearbox. God only knows what this would be. Probably as much as an upgrade to a used 997 PDK.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:56 AM
fjr_wertheimber

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Ha! all I could think of when I read this comment was Oprah.....
LMAO!! Okay, we're both going to hell for that, but damn, that was funny...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the easy approach and just used their contact us link. Hopefully they have an answer.

I like their exhaust system they have. Nothing better than sumping the large mufflers. The headers appear to be equal length tubes with 3 into 1 commectors. Should have rreal good breathing and performance with out scewing with the engine
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask and you shall receive works sometimes. Either buy now before a price hike or wait until the riots having the country selling everything in a going out of business sale.

Hi,
Shifter is in stock and cost is £3999 plus shipping.
Attached is fitting guide and some images fit both 996 and 997 GT3, turbo and GT2

Jon
Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

WOW! That is only $6,304.82 at today's exchange rate. And if I sell my old shifter with the B&M upgrade I might get $100. I think I will order two
Old 12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

For that much money you can install short ratios gears and an LSD and actually make your car faster instead of just shifting faster...

Quick Reply: Oakley Design Sequential Shifter for 996