996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

EBS Racing - rebuilds M96 engines for $9K

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started the same way 2 stroke dirt as we (my brother & I) raced MX thru the 70's, 80's (stopped when I was at Unadilla ... www.unadillamx.com/... & shattered my left knee during my 3rd pro season). My father is a master with the 2 stroke race machines... taught me everything I know about 2 & 4 cycle motors. (still waiting for him to teach me everything he knows). Helped him build race bikes for other people... hop up Harley's (my XR will pull wheelies all day long), BSA's, Triumph's, Honda's. My favortie was the KH 500... spent many a days racing around on that thing.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:06 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTdooberhead
He also has suprisingly soft hands
Like George in that Seinfeld episode - The Hand Model.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
My car has the full 3.8 Raby package on an 3.6 X51 base. The PO had the system adapted with RPM triggered units for the Variocam. It works great! At about 3400RPM it feels like turbos kicking in and it stays that way until 7500.
Quote:
My car has the full 3.8 Raby package on an 3.6 X51 base. The PO had the system adapted with RPM triggered units for the Variocam. It works great! At about 3400RPM it feels like turbos kicking in and it stays that way until 7500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastviking
Thats great ! Any dyno charts available ? I presume Jake did all his or LN Engineerings updates as well. New sleeves, tensioners, chains, IMS, etc ? How much did it all cost to do ? Time frame to do it ? Obviously you are quite happy with the results. Was this an early car he upgraded to the newer CAN ?
Thank you in advance for your input.

So did this just die with no answers ? I, as well as many others I am sure, are curious of the costs and time frames for such an upgrade ? ltusler ? Jake ?
Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:
Thats great ! Any dyno charts available ? I presume Jake did all his or LN Engineerings updates as well. New sleeves, tensioners, chains, IMS, etc ? How much did it all cost to do ? Time frame to do it ? Obviously you are quite happy with the results. Was this an early car he upgraded to the newer CAN ?

So did this just die with no answers ? I, as well as many others I am sure, are curious of the costs and time frames for such an upgrade ? ltusler ? Jake ?[/QUOTE]

Due to some extenuating circumstances the rebuld took quite awhile. Most of which was waiting for development of a lightweight billet crank which ultimately did not work out. I'll let Jake speak to current conditions on timing. Your patience will be rewarded if he does the rebuild.

We got 340RWHP on Jakes dyno after some break in time. The engine has all of the LN Engineering and Flat Six Innovation upgrades and enhancements. The ECU has also been worked over by Protomotive. The car is still running the 99 version of the CAN and 5.2 on the ECU with a cable throttle. The original work to the system was done by Autoedge in Minnesota. All totaled including a new Spec stage 3 clutch and PP, shipping, a lovley week in northern GA in Jakes shop I'd put the cost around 30k, expensive for a street engine, but relatively cheap for a race engine. We are sure there is more in the engine and are examining intake and exhaust opportunities.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions. lon@snscabling.com

Only 5 months till our first BIR event!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Due to some extenuating circumstances the rebuld took quite awhile. Most of which was waiting for development of a lightweight billet crank which ultimately did not work out. I'll let Jake speak to current conditions on timing. Your patience will be rewarded if he does the rebuild.

We got 340RWHP on Jakes dyno after some break in time. The engine has all of the LN Engineering and Flat Six Innovation upgrades and enhancements. The ECU has also been worked over by Protomotive. The car is still running the 99 version of the CAN and 5.2 on the ECU with a cable throttle. The original work to the system was done by Autoedge in Minnesota. All totaled including a new Spec stage 3 clutch and PP, shipping, a lovley week in northern GA in Jakes shop I'd put the cost around 30k, expensive for a street engine, but relatively cheap for a race engine. We are sure there is more in the engine and are examining intake and exhaust opportunities.

Only 5 months till our first BIR event!
Holy bleep, 340 to the wheels is huge. One question, did you do anything with the 3.4 cable throttle body? FVD sells a slightly larger version but it's only marginally larger. Just curious as that would seem to offer large HP gain potential especially to a built motor like yours....
Old 12-09-2010, 03:11 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Just to be able to compare apples to apples, what chassis dyno did Jake use to get the 340RWHP ? What exhaust and intake were on the car when the 340 RWHP were done ? Cats also ? Pump street fuel or race fuel ? And this was a 3.6 X51 motor that had been enlarged to a 3.8 liter correct ?

Thank you for taking the time to answer,
Viking

Quote:

So did this just die with no answers ? I, as well as many others I am sure, are curious of the costs and time frames for such an upgrade ? ltusler ? Jake ?

Only 5 months till our first BIR event![/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Default More F6I engine Info

I've built and bolted on an after market 90mm TB and it ran. Have not had a chance to dyno it though. The ECU tuning is a ship out deal so the turn around time and cost is prohibitive. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a plug and play ECU for the current wiring harness before I go further. Also thinking about modifying a DBW GT3 TB but idle control is a problem. In the current set up its based on air pressure difference between the front and rear of the TP. I did look at the FVD one and may give it a try since its pretty resonable on price and I have a core and will give another MM or so of diameter. I think I did the math once and it came out to 5% or something.

Jake uses a DynoJet.
The intake is stock.
X51 headers with open pipes out the back. Its LOUD!
Race fuel 102 octane unleaded.
Yes a factory 3.6 x51 upgraded to 3.8. Reason for rebuild was the crank broke after 10k of track miles on a LW FW.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I've built and bolted on an after market 90mm TB and it ran. Have not had a chance to dyno it though. The ECU tuning is a ship out deal so the turn around time and cost is prohibitive. I'm waiting for someone to come up with a plug and play ECU for the current wiring harness before I go further. Also thinking about modifying a DBW GT3 TB but idle control is a problem. In the current set up its based on air pressure difference between the front and rear of the TP. I did look at the FVD one and may give it a try since its pretty resonable on price and I have a core and will give another MM or so of diameter. I think I did the math once and it came out to 5% or something.
For those interested, the FVD throttle body for the cable 99' 3.4 goes from 74.6mm to 76.4, a increase of 1.8 MM or 2.5% if I did the math correctly. They charge $411. for their larger TB with an exchange.

I would imagine that 90mm TB is a blast. When you get it on a dyno please let us know the results. May I ask where you found it as I'm extremely interested....

PS: the 996 GT3 TB is 76mm, while the 997 GT3 is much larger at 82mm. I have friends who've put the larger TB on their street GT3's and gained 20rwhp....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 12-10-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
For those interested, the FVD throttle body for the cable 99' 3.4 goes from 74.6mm to 76.4, a increase of 1.8 MM or 2.5% if I did the math correctly. They charge $411. for their larger TB with an exchange.

I would imagine that 90mm TB is a blast. When you get it on a dyno please let us know the results. May I ask where you found it as I'm extremely interested....

PS: the 996 GT3 TB is 76mm, while the 997 GT3 is much larger at 82mm. I have friends who've put the larger TB on their street GT3's and gained 20rwhp....
Just remember that bigger is not always better, when tuning intakes, TB's,exhaust, etc the velocity is many times more important than the volume. Big can produce a big hp number on the dyno (top end) sometimes and produce a car with no torque or pull when you need it. - Which would not be disisreable. I wouldn't think a 90mm TB on a 3.4 L 996 would be a good thing.
Of course it's still hard to fight that inner desire to hear someone say "oh, thats too big".
Old 12-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Lon didn't mention is when his car put down 340 at the wheels the clutch was slipping... It was an aftermarket unit that required a break in, which wasn't done before the chassis dyno eval was done.. When I say it was slipping, it was really slipping! It would not have made much more power to the rollers, but I'd think it was losing 10 RWHP.

But, by today's standards Lon's engine is already outdated :-)
Old 12-13-2010, 10:47 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Default TB

JR,
All it is is a 90mm billet TB I got off of Ebay. Its a bit of a Frankenstein. I had to redrill the mounting points, add a cable bracket and pipe in the idle bypass valve. When I say it ran I mean it blew balck smoke at idle but cleaned up off idle and revved fast! I did't push it at all for fear of going lean. More of a small proof of concept that a running part.
That is the same result I got on the math for the FVD TB.
I might pick up a GT3 82mm TB and see about adapting it back to a cable, just may have to have a rough idle thats all!

Onefast,
I agree completely. Although my particular engine could do with more air. The heads are 3.6 X51 and have been massaged by one of Jakes preferred local partners for even more flow. Currently the TQ is 280 from 4.5 to 7 and pretty flat all the way across.

If anyone out there has any ideas on this, bring them on!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I built that engine more for torque than net HP output.. I wanted Lon to have the power without the necessity of continuouus red line driving, to build longevity. Longevity is always my primary objective with any project engine.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I'd still love to see a dyno chart for it.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours .......
Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I'd still love to see a dyno chart for it.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours .......
Didn't we do that at Miller? Oh wait, what happens in Salt Lake City stays in SLC, right?....
Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Didn't we do that at Miller? Oh wait, what happens in Salt Lake City stays in SLC, right?....
Not you silly !
I was curious about the power curve in the 340+RWHP big torque motor that Jake built. I haven't seen a dyno graph for that one.

And once I've settled in with the changes on the car for the jump we made to the new class I will share my dyno with you, and anyone else that shares.

Quick Reply: EBS Racing - rebuilds M96 engines for $9K