Sponsored by:

EBS Racing - rebuilds M96 engines for $9K

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I agree, it's never been a smooth transition. It can be done, but the correct way is to change out the DME to the 7.8 which requires the wiring harness too, and pedals, gauge cluster, gas line return, etc...

My motor rebuilder just built a 3.8 out of a 3.4 which will run with the cable TB and 5.2 DME. Great build with all the right parts, but it will be limited by that ECU. Still, I can't wait to see where it dynos. Might be a GTS4 killer motor for me with tons of torque....
yes the whole point is to save some $$$ while using your stock 99 DME and associated parts...

a 3.8 from 3.4 motor? I thought the 3.4 cylinder walls aren't thick enough to go to a 3.8? i'd love to see the dyno graph on that puppy with the stock 5.2 DME...!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:49 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
there was a guy on here over 2 years ago that went with ROOCK performance who did something similar... he said it was a nightmare and I followed his progress for over 9 months but stuff just wouldn't work properly... the main problem was all the adjustments that were required and the fact that there was a hiccup in the engine when variocam was activated.. it was not a smooth surge as per a normal engine but definitely a noticeable kink in the powercurve...

he ended up selling the car because of frustrations...
A 3.6 Boxster that started in Georgia and then to Houston ? I actually got that car after Roock built it to try to sort it out, once he had moved to Houston. Then after some repairs making it better but not complete he sold it and then I got to see the car once again from a different owner.
If the same car, it was an early Boxster with a later 3.6 motor with Can different DME etc, Roock tried all kinds of things to make it work,aux control units, relays, etc, etc.
We made good with it after reprograming quite a bit but still had a little stumble where it couldn't compensate fast enough in the timing. The car needed the new harness, dash, key, DME, etc to make it all work properly.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never read any info on the shops new parts included in the rebuild. I'd think crank and piston bearings along with vavle guide seals. Then it should also include the cam guides material replaced with new stuff. I'd imagine anything not standard to the rebuild needing fixing would get a phone call with prices to fix. Anway if it is a major overhaul it should also include a new cam chain piston rings and head gasket. The heads should be checked and flushed with a lathe also.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
I will bang my head against Moronic attitudes all day long.
You are a interesting person whom seems to enjoy stirring the pot!
Several pages of this and you are still missing the basic understanding on this thread subject. The answer is below. If you still can't understand it. No one here can help you.

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
There are different price points for different purchasers and different engines. These engines vary greatly in cost and preparation. One must explore all the options and ask very detailed questions before purchasing any engine.
Not everyone wants a $20K engine. Having an option to rebuild this engine with half that budget is the discussion here. There will be private individuals with economic constraints to shady car dealers who will choose to rebuild an engine back into a running state and continue to drive it or turn around to sell it regardless of build quality. I am not saying EBS does it. Actually no one here knows what EBS did to get the engine running again.

Jake took a methodical approach to the M96 engine because he saw the business opportunity in it with Boxsters, 996 and early 997 production numbers. Its a no brainer if you are in the Porsche aftermarket support business to follow this trend.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not missed the thread subject! so, just put down the crack pipe and get on with your life.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
A 3.6 Boxster that started in Georgia and then to Houston ? I actually got that car after Roock built it to try to sort it out, once he had moved to Houston. Then after some repairs making it better but not complete he sold it and then I got to see the car once again from a different owner.
If the same car, it was an early Boxster with a later 3.6 motor with Can different DME etc, Roock tried all kinds of things to make it work,aux control units, relays, etc, etc.
We made good with it after reprograming quite a bit but still had a little stumble where it couldn't compensate fast enough in the timing. The car needed the new harness, dash, key, DME, etc to make it all work properly.
that's the proper way to do it... full conversion of harnesses and DME's... an expensive proposition for the early 99 owners.... but it does offer a value proposition for somebody who has found a blown out 02+ car and wants a new 3.8 in it...
Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tbred911
that's the proper way to do it... full conversion of harnesses and DME's... an expensive proposition for the early 99 owners.... but it does offer a value proposition for somebody who has found a blown out 02+ car and wants a new 3.8 in it...
Exactly. And with the exception of a slight stumble at approx 3600 rpm that car really hauled a@# !
All this engine swap talk is really just a bunch of old hot rodders in modern day. Car guys have been swapping and upgrading to larger more powerful engines for years, it's just become a little more complicated with all the electronics.
I am just an old hot rodder at heart, only I work on P cars now.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just an old hot rodder at heart, only I work on P cars now.
Just like me :-)
Bore it and stroke it.. Then port and polish it and make it haul ***!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Motronic 5.2

My car has the full 3.8 Raby package on an 3.6 X51 base. The PO had the system adapted with RPM triggered units for the Variocam. It works great! At about 3400RPM it feels like turbos kicking in and it stays that way until 7500.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:08 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it was motorcylces... We hoped up everything from Harley's to Yamaha & Honda's... Bore it, storke it and fly...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not missed the thread subject! so, just put down the crack pipe and get on with your life.
settle down, thanks.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

For me it was motorcylces... We hoped up everything from Harley's to Yamaha & Honda's... Bore it, storke it and fly...

I did that too, only I went from 2 stroke dirt, to 4 stroke dirt, to 750's, to 1100 and 1300's and then to Turbo charged 1000 cc monsters for the 1/4 mile. - And people wonder why I don't get scared driving around a racetrack in a fast car.
My favorite bike was my 1978 KZ1000 Z1R TC, it was a 180 hp turbo street bike for street racing 1/4 mile mostly, alcohol injected for cooling and then I could raise the boost to ??? hp level. I was way too young to know any better.
The modern bikes of today are much faster and better, but when you launched the old bike and the frame started twisting while the bike started going sideways as you'd be leaning all on one peg to compensate for the sideways, there was nothing else quite like it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked their website and lightly browsed. Didn't wonder upon any break down of overhauling and what's included.

I do ride a K6 GSX-R1000 and the little 911. I could care less about the jeep grand cherokee loredo right now. All of you guys hot rodding around are why the rest of us get in trouble I'm just a mild manored guy trying to ride my sportbike and crawl along in my 911 doing the speed limit.

Happy holidays and drive safe out there.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
My car has the full 3.8 Raby package on an 3.6 X51 base. The PO had the system adapted with RPM triggered units for the Variocam. It works great! At about 3400RPM it feels like turbos kicking in and it stays that way until 7500.

Thats great ! Any dyno charts available ? I presume Jake did all his or LN Engineerings updates as well. New sleeves, tensioners, chains, IMS, etc ? How much did it all cost to do ? Time frame to do it ? Obviously you are quite happy with the results. Was this an early car he upgraded to the newer CAN ?
Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pac996
I checked their website and lightly browsed. Didn't wonder upon any break down of overhauling and what's included.

I do ride a K6 GSX-R1000 and the little 911. I could care less about the jeep grand cherokee loredo right now. All of you guys hot rodding around are why the rest of us get in trouble I'm just a mild manored guy trying to ride my sportbike and crawl along in my 911 doing the speed limit.

Happy holidays and drive safe out there.

I try to keep all my trouble confined to a racetrack now, although I may have infractioned a speed limit or two on occasion. And the only bike I ever ride now is a bored XR650L , that I can say will do 100mph+ on fireroads !

Quick Reply: EBS Racing - rebuilds M96 engines for $9K