Sponsored by:

EBS Racing - rebuilds M96 engines for $9K

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bkjwhipple
would this be for the throtle by wire cars too?
They already have Variocam + with the 7.8 DME. It's the 99' cars with the older 5.2 DME that have to create a system to activate the Variocam +. They advance by 45 degrees compared to 22 for the 3.4 IIRC.....
Old 12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've spent the majority of my time internally with the M96 engines. We don't do conversion work, I prefer to make the original engine larger, more durable and higher performance and have an end result of absolute vehicle/ engine compatibility..
Old 12-02-2010, 04:12 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I've spent the majority of my time internally with the M96 engines. We don't do conversion work, I prefer to make the original engine larger, more durable and higher performance and have an end result of absolute vehicle/ engine compatibility..
Jake,

Do you also return the original engine internals back to the customer when he/she brings in a perfectly good running motor for an upgrade?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you ask for your parts back from the dealer after serivce? They will give them to you should you so desire.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chsu74
Jake,

Do you also return the original engine internals back to the customer when he/she brings in a perfectly good running motor for an upgrade?
If someone request this we certainly do.. We throw them away otherwise as our engines never use the OE parts that are removed for upgrade.. Look on Ebay and you'll not find us selling any of those pieces :-)

I scrapped 22,000 pounds back in May when junk prices hit their peak.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread from its original topic, so I'll go back to my Dyno room now :-)
Old 12-02-2010, 05:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Do you ask for your parts back from the dealer after serivce? They will give them to you should you so desire.
Is this a "service?" No, its an upgrade. Have you ever kept stock sways after upgrading to GT3 sways so the option to go back to stock and part out upgrades remain possible? Who is to say perfectly good functioning engine internals are not worth something to a salvage yard? Keep banging your head.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

I will bang my head against Moronic attitudes all day long. When I rebuild anything motor related the old parts are that "OLD PARTS" they go into the trash... just like Jake does. SWAY BARS are the exception... as well as certain other suspension parts that are not "TRUE WEAR ITEMS"... shocks go into the dumpster also!

You are a interesting person whom seems to enjoy stirring the pot! I am sure you have a box full of spare parts that you swap in / out ...

Guys we are in the presence of Greatness here! stand an listen to the wisdom..
Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
The 3.8 upgrade to a 3.6 car is interesting and doable. They both have the 7.8 DME that controls the VarioCamPlus functions. However for all the 3.4 VarioCam engines/cars this is not really a viable option. The 7.2 DME is quite different from the 7.8, fuel systems are different, Canbus, etc. etc. etc.

As for the cost of the Porsche reman and Jake's engines, the Porsche engine is still basically a stock engine while the list of upgrades and fixes that Jake has made to the engines he builds go on and on. You are really comparing apples to oranges here.
Some of the systems and years can be mixed while some can not as JR already stated.

I understand Jake has a number of mods/updates he does, it would seem that EBS and others are also doing the same or similiar mods. As well, Porsche has done their own updates and the engine you buy from them today is different than the old engine you will be removing.
We seem to have a estimated price of $9k from EBS, and we all know what the Porsche OEM engines cost, so whats the price range for a typical Jake Raby engine ? Jake ? Or maybe any of Jake's customers can chime in with what the costs and upgrades involved were ?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
They already have Variocam + with the 7.8 DME. It's the 99' cars with the older 5.2 DME that have to create a system to activate the Variocam +. They advance by 45 degrees compared to 22 for the 3.4 IIRC.....
This is a no issue with the 3.4-3.6 eng conversion..... the Vcam+ can be triggered by an external controller (programmable at that)... a few have done these conversion before. Cable throttle however is a diff story...
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
This is a no issue with the 3.4-3.6 eng conversion..... the Vcam+ can be triggered by an external controller (programmable at that)... a few have done these conversion before. Cable throttle however is a diff story...
Ahh I think that's what I said....
Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onefastviking
We seem to have a estimated price of $9k from EBS, and we all know what the Porsche OEM engines cost, so whats the price range for a typical Jake Raby engine ? Jake ? Or maybe any of Jake's customers can chime in with what the costs and upgrades involved were ?

My prices start at DOUBLE what the EBS stated prices in this thread are. The parts that comprise my engine cost more than the 9K stated in this thread.

But, this is an EBS thread, so before I am reminded of that we shouldn't discuss my program any more, because it isn't fair to the OP or EBS.

In a few days my Rennlist sponsorship begins, so I'll be able to post prices and etc without issues, then we can talk about what I do, how I do it and why. They finally came up with a sponsorship package that favors my budget so I plan on maintaining this sponsorship as this is a great board.

There are different price points for different purchasers and different engines. These engines vary greatly in cost and preparation. One must explore all the options and ask very detailed questions before purchasing any engine. I know of one company that doesn't even replace the AOS during a rebuild, they just "clean and inspect it". These are the types of things the purchaser must understand before comparing engines of differing costs that may appear to be similarly prepared when they couldn't be more different.

Too many people do not do their homework or understand enough about the engine prior to purchase and that bit of ignorance can result in a skinny wallet. Familiarize yourself with the engine, else you can't comprehend what you are buying. Some companies don't want you to understand, that way you don't ask the questions that shows how little they know about the M96 engine or why its so cheap.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:09 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Great too hear that you are able finalize a sponsorship package.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

look forward to your first post with the complete "Details"...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
there was a guy on here over 2 years ago that went with ROOCK performance who did something similar... he said it was a nightmare and I followed his progress for over 9 months but stuff just wouldn't work properly... the main problem was all the adjustments that were required and the fact that there was a hiccup in the engine when variocam was activated.. it was not a smooth surge as per a normal engine but definitely a noticeable kink in the powercurve...

he ended up selling the car because of frustrations...
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tbred911
there was a guy on here over 2 years ago that went with ROOCK performance who did something similar... he said it was a nightmare and I followed his progress for over 9 months but stuff just wouldn't work properly... the main problem was all the adjustments that were required and the fact that there was a hiccup in the engine when variocam was activated.. it was not a smooth surge as per a normal engine but definitely a noticeable kink in the powercurve...

he ended up selling the car because of frustrations...
I agree, it's never been a smooth transition. It can be done, but the correct way is to change out the DME to the 7.8 which requires the wiring harness too, and pedals, gauge cluster, gas line return, etc...

My motor rebuilder just built a 3.8 out of a 3.4 which will run with the cable TB and 5.2 DME. Great build with all the right parts, but it will be limited by that ECU. Still, I can't wait to see where it dynos. Might be a GTS4 killer motor for me with tons of torque....

Quick Reply: EBS Racing - rebuilds M96 engines for $9K