996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Not Getting Good Signals From Radio!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:20 PM
100plus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Getting Good Signals From Radio!

Hi guys,

I have not been getting really good signals from the radio ... its always giving me static like sounds but when i play CDs, the sound is excellent. So there isnt any problems with the speakers. Any ideas? At the same time, anyone has any suggestions for speaker upgrades?

Cheers
Alvin
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

The antenna amplifier (located in the passenger side a-pillar) would be the item with which I would start. Many people have had to change them.

I have a fully upgraded system with Boston Acoustic speakers (front and rear) and like it very much.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
kristyhana
Advanced

My radio reception sucks too.. I'll have to check out that antenna amplifier.. So, for now I just listen to my iPod.

I'm no audio wizard - if the previous owner replaced the stereo unit, added an amp, subwoofer, etc. Would the antenna also be replaced in that process or would the new unit just tie into the car's original antenna?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

The best speaker upgrades is a set of PSE.... My .02.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I happen to be in the process of fixing a similar problem. Just purchased the car and realized that AM is all static even though FM played fairly well. Car has an aftermarket radio/nav (pioneer avic-z1) and whoever installed it did a number of wrong things. Anyway, the antenna amplifier wasn't hooked up to any power source. Once connected to the radio's antenna activate, reception improved for both bands and AM is no longer static.

By the way, the antenna amplifier wire is white in the black connector.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 AM
100plus
Pro

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
I happen to be in the process of fixing a similar problem. Just purchased the car and realized that AM is all static even though FM played fairly well. Car has an aftermarket radio/nav (pioneer avic-z1) and whoever installed it did a number of wrong things. Anyway, the antenna amplifier wasn't hooked up to any power source. Once connected to the radio's antenna activate, reception improved for both bands and AM is no longer static.

By the way, the antenna amplifier wire is white in the black connector.
Where is the antenna amplifier located?? How do I know that it needs replacing?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:28 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The antenna amplifier is located in the right side A-pillar. The wire and connector I'm referring to is plugged into the back of your radio and/or behind the radio. It runs along with the antenna coax to the amplifier.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
100plus
Pro

Gonna get my workshop to check the antenna out at the end of the month. Are there any upgrades for the antenna to get better signal thus better sound? At the same time, should i check for anything else?

Last edited by 100plus; 12-01-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Not Getting Good Signals From Radio!