Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

After reading tons of posts, it looks like I did everything wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 PM
papachili
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GET A PPI.!!! I purchased my car as you did...loved the way it looked, drove, sounded and it was priced right. Drove it to a highly reccomended indy and he charged me $100 for a small list of silly things like polishing the headlights and even a smaller list of things needing attention, like a cam cover seeping. I took his list (felt better because it was over all in great shape) and fixed all the stuff on the List. Then I called the dealerships (marked in the maintenance manual) and they faxed the history of service. SO...now I know AFTER THE FACT that it had the RMS replaced 20k miles ago (and still dry as a bone) the coolant tank replaced (now I dont have to) and many other typical things that I no longer look over my shoulder for. Enjoy it, but get a PPI so you will have piece of mind...and a known list of things to do fix on the weekends!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,404 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by norcoastal
I went down a curb and cracked the lower lip on the front spoiler. This actually made me feel better because when I removed it and looked at the part number, it's actually a genuine Porsche part. So I assume the front bumper must be genuine porsche also.

Anyway I ordered a new lower lip from pelican.

I think that because they are Porsche parts it makes me feel better.

The PO didn't use cheap aftermarket parts.

But that's just me. I'm sure that there are many great aftermarket pieces.
Drive the car and enjoy it. Dont feel bad if you didnt PPI it, Ive never PPIed a car and so far never got burnt, 20+ cars, change the fluids and give the car a once over, its a porsche not a Bugatti Veyron. These cars are quite tough and can be very very reliable if taken care of. If you a hands on guy and can follow directions, get the factory manuals and start fixing the car yourself.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
larry47us
Pro

I guess that is why they call it a PPI, so you can either plan on a Pre or Post Purchase Inspection. You own the car, so the PPI won't give you advice on a buy/bye decision. But if this is your first Porsche, a good Indie mechanic will give the car an educated look-see. You'll get information on the brakes, motor mounts, tires, leaks, compression, valves, plugs, shifting, clutch, all those things that you would know on your 3rd or 4th Porsche, but not on your first one.

If nothing else, the PPI will tell you what needs immediate work or work that you can defer. I would get an oil change right away. You never really know when the last one was done, and it provides a good starting point for regular maintenance.

My suggestion? Get your PPI, find out what the next maintenance visit will look/cost like, and then drive the car like you stole it (sorry for the oft-used cliche'). Drive the car HARD, it's better for the car, and more fun for you. Side note - warm up the car by driving it, but keep the RPM's under 4K - 4,500 till the temperature gets to 180+. Then at least once every day that you drive it, push the car to redline!! You'll enjoy the fun, and the engine will run cleaner for longer. Trust me.

larry
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 PM
norcoastal
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great advice fellas. Looks like it's split 50/50 on the PPI. What I think I'll do is take it to the place I took my Boxster. Good indy shop. Have them give it a once over. I have a small coolant leak in the front. I'll probably have them flush the system, fix the leak and change the oil. After that take a good look-see.

Best advice (or my favorite advice) is bring it up to the red line once a day.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks again!
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Nobody could have done it dumber than I did, so don't worry. I walked into a dealership on impulse one day and wrote a cheque for the first one I looked at priced below my choke factor. Since then, have spent multiples of its value on over-maintenance, preventative maintenance and questionable mods. I'm a gold plated, certified idiot who books his car expenses on Quicken as 'recreation'.

All those of you who worry that you've been silly about your Porsches, bow down before me. I am your king.
GREAT post - even better attitude
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible deal Norcoastal! I paid at least seven thousand dollars more than you over a year and a half ago on a 2001 MK1, and that is after my negotation skills with the sales man. Wow, they came down alot. Great color too I like it.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 AM
norcoastal
Pro

Thanks. I really love the car. No regrets. I'll get the inspection soon but I love just driving it now. Whatever need fixing I'll fix. Doesn't change the fact that after all these year and all these cars I finally...finally have a 911 well 996.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:48 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

PPI found a few minor points and had them fixed. Good to know that my pcar is ready to go. Thanks for the tip on redlining once a day. Its as if a new world has opened up for me...
Old 12-04-2010, 07:25 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same fear (front end damage) when I bought my C4S with a 997 GT2 nose. But after a lengthy discussion with the owner that did the work, I found out it is his hobby, buying Porsches and upgrading them (he also put on lowering springs and 997 Turbo wheels). I took off the GT2 bumper and there was not a scratch or dent anywhere - so that felt reassuring. By the way, I removed the front lower valance and gained about 1.5" of ground clearance that seems to make a huge difference on scraping the front end at any little ramp. Just painted it flat black where the valence should be - it looks great.

WHY can't you make a claim to carfax - don't they cover repairs for damage that they had no idea about???

DC4
Old 12-04-2010, 12:22 PM
norcoastal
Pro

I hadn't hear that? CarFax covers non reported damage?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
WHY can't you make a claim to carfax - don't they cover repairs for damage that they had no idea about???
I believe that Carfax makes good on things that they have reported wrong on their report on a particular car. Accidents, altered mileage, salvage title, etc. They don't provide a guarantee that the car is mechanically sound.

larry
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

They may correct the report,but they ain't gonna give you any money.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when you run the carfax it will tell you if it guarantees that there have been no accidents. I'd check into this further.

Quick Reply: After reading tons of posts, it looks like I did everything wrong.