996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Little problem with roof (996 Cab)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
chrisko
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little problem with roof (996 Cab)

Hello,

I have a little issue with my roof (996 C2 FL Cabrio 2002).

As you can see in the picture it is not completely closed on the passenger side.

I looked at the ropes and the stuff in the roof, but I could not figure out what the difference is to the drivers side, what makes the roof to stay open a little bit.

Has anybody an idea, how I can fix this problem?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Christian

Attached Images  
Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
waveandwen
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Christian,

I have dealt with this issue on both sides of my 02 Cab. The tension rope (cable) has come loose from one of the two attachment points.

The bottom attachment can be seen when the roof is in the half open position. The cable has an eyelet crimped on the end attached to the top frame with a bolt. This is the easier of the two ends to access.

The top end is secured to header rail inside of the top. Similar eyelet crimped to end of cable secured to a spring to maintain tension when top is closed. Access to this end requires lifting up of the top material at the front corner. A little daunting, but doable if so inclined.

Good luck.

Dave.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

when you partially retract the roof, look for the braided metal cable that runs in that location. that should be what provides tension as the top is in the closed position and it should move into the slot on the metal frame ( in your pic) to provide a secure fit. the cable has a metal eyelet that secures in the rear compartment behind the back seats. hopefully all it did was come undone.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ight-pics.html

and this is the solution:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ht-pics-2.html
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
chrisko
2nd Gear

Hi!

Thank you very much for your help.

I checked the metal wire. On the bottom it is "unfortunatly" not loose. I fear, that menas that the upper end is not OK.

Is there an instruction, how I can get the roof loose in order to check the upper fix point?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Christian
Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 PM
toma
2nd Gear

I am having the exact same issue. Chrisko, How did you access the top under the roof? Does anyone else know how to properly access the top connection under the roof?
Thank you
Tom
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by toma
I am having the exact same issue. Chrisko, How did you access the top under the roof? Does anyone else know how to properly access the top connection under the roof?
Thank you
Tom
Read my reply to this thread.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:05 PM
toma
2nd Gear

Hi roadsession,
It does look like you had potentially the same issue based on your thread. But a broken rivet sounds pretty bad and certainly beyond my current capabilities. Do you know how I would approach pulling the fabric back to check and see if the cable is broken, rivet of whatever? I would prefer not to have to take it to a shop if it is something simple. Would you attempt to access this and check it yourself after watching someone work on it for 2 hours?
Thanks for you time on this with me.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 PM
porschesal
2nd Gear

if you are in the ny area i can fix this for you. i am a master porsche tech . email me silverton2@optonline.net

Quick Reply: Little problem with roof (996 Cab)