996 Carrera 4S broken AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 PM
thlangva
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Carrera 4S broken AWD

Hi,
My 996 C4S 2003 mod. only pulls with the rear wheels. It has been confirmed that the viscous coupling (VC) is broken. My question is where the VC is located? I have heard that it sits inside the front differential. Is this correct?

The reason I am asking is because I have a spare front differential which I hopefully can use to fix the problem. I live in Norway, and here it is an advantage with AWD.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes the VC is located inside the diff. I think it is odd that it would be broken.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:15 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you share more details?
I hope you are aware that AWD is not the same as 4X4.

If, for example, you are spinning rear wheels ONLY, when you
are stuck in snow from stand still, that is just normal behavior.
You need to be moving at a certain speed for the front wheels
to be assigned some torque from the front differential.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 PM
V225
Racer

Originally Posted by JDSStudios

How could we check to see if awd is still working? Will the car throw an error?

Edit: How can we Make Sure awd is working Properly

Last edited by V225; 11-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

you make it sound like that's a bad thing

Power distribution is 10% front, 90% rear and up to 40% front, 60% rear under maximum slip.

I wonder if people change out the fluid regularly (well, every 30k miles). I don't know if service schedule calls for it, but that's what I've been doing.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:16 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The viscous coupling is sealed. Fluid cannot be changed.

When a VC fails, it locks solid.

I'm always curious when someone posts about "losing" front wheel drive, like it's a transfer case or something.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
The viscous coupling is sealed. Fluid cannot be changed.

When a VC fails, it locks solid.

I'm always curious when someone posts about "losing" front wheel drive, like it's a transfer case or something.
I asked that my 03 996 Turbo's VC fluid be changed a while back and while I don't have the records handy to check I think this was done. I do know I was not told that the unit was sealed and the fluid could not be changed.

Before this I had the front diff fluid changed and when I took the car in for the VC fluid change I also asked the tranny/rear diff fluid be changed as well. This is when the tech spotted the tranny leak and a new tranny was installed (courtesy of the car's CPO warranty).

Because a new (replacement) transmission fitted I was not charged for the transmission/diff fluid change.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

They probably just changed the diff fluids.

The VC fluid is weird stuff and cannot be changed.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:28 PM
thlangva
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the replies.
I only tried it from stand still, hmm.. Do you have a idea of how fast you have to be moving for the front differential to get enough torque?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thlangva
Thanks for all the replies.
I only tried it from stand still, hmm.. Do you have a idea of how fast you have to be moving
for the front differential to get enough torque?
I do not know a precise velocity number, only the concept;
there is a change in viscosity in the multiplate unit, that needs heat to become
more solid and then couple... gee something sounds funny in the last sentence.

In colder weather, the transfer percentage maybe even lower,
until the transmission gets up to normal operating temperature.

As for changing the viscous liquid, I also though it was non serviceable, and
permanently sealed. There is no reference anywhere in the manual, or
anywhere, to change it after a certain mileage.

Macster,
could it be that they just changed the differential oil?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:00 AM
thlangva
Cruisin'

I do not know a precise velocity number, only the concept;
there is a change in viscosity in the multiplate unit, that needs heat to become
more solid and then couple... gee something sounds funny in the last sentence.

In colder weather, the transfer percentage maybe even lower,
until the transmission gets up to normal operating temperature.

As for changing the viscous liquid, I also though it was non serviceable, and
permanently sealed. There is no reference anywhere in the manual, or
anywhere, to change it after a certain mileage.

Macster,
could it be that they just changed the differential oil?
Today I got stuck in a fairly steep uphill of snow, and I could not notice the front wheels spinning at any time. So i definitely think the VC is broken.

I checked the 996 Workshop Manual, and here is how to test the function of the VC:
1. Connect Porsche System Tester 2 and select "Actual values" menu.
2. Drive front wheels of the vehicle onto the roller brake tester.
3. Drive front wheels via the rollers of the brake tester (max. 8 km/h) and measure traction of the front wheels after 20 seconds.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that it should at least work with speed exceeding 8 kmh/5 mph? This is supposed to be measured in room temperature, so in colder conditions you might need to try at a higher speed.

I do not have the equipment to test the VC the way it says in the workshop manual. But i would guess driving in a straight line in snow, with a certain amount of speed would do the same. What do you guys think?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

not a big deal now you have a C2...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert on this, but I did work for a company for 13 years that produced silicone oils of various viscosities for various purposes. I understand the oil in the front diff is silicone - and if kept clean will never need replacement. I also understand that Porsche changed to the viscous coupling from the electronic multi-clutch units (like the 959 and 964) only after sophisticated machine tooling was invented in the 90s. So the concept should work something like a shear thickening fluid - when there is increasing slip as the front wheels spin at a different RPM than the drive shaft, the fluid gets thicker (more viscous like honey) and begins to transfer more of the torque between two rotating elements. Not sure how the cold affects all this - as it seems the colder it is, the higher the viscosity. But of course lab measurements are made at standard conditions - usually room temperature. Some food for thought...maybe someone can correct this theory or produce the actual design theory from Porsche.
DC4
Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
I'm no expert on this, but I did work for a company for 13 years that produced silicone oils of various viscosities for various purposes. I understand the oil in the front diff is silicone - and if kept clean will never need replacement. I also understand that Porsche changed to the viscous coupling from the electronic multi-clutch units (like the 959 and 964) only after sophisticated machine tooling was invented in the 90s. So the concept should work something like a shear thickening fluid - when there is increasing slip as the front wheels spin at a different RPM than the drive shaft, the fluid gets thicker (more viscous like honey) and begins to transfer more of the torque between two rotating elements. Not sure how the cold affects all this - as it seems the colder it is, the higher the viscosity. But of course lab measurements are made at standard conditions - usually room temperature. Some food for thought...maybe someone can correct this theory or produce the actual design theory from Porsche.
DC4
The only way I know, off-hand, for testing a VC is to disable TC (pull the ABS pumpmotor fuse) have all four wheels off the ground, put a light 1x2 board to block the front wheels from turning, and run the rear wheels at 10-20MPH.

The 1x2 light duty wood should break within seconds.

Any level, even minor sustained level, of locking of the front drive to the rear drive on a tractive surface can quickly compromise components of the drive train. So the VC is typically designed to be slow to react to rear wheelspin/slip. With this being the case the use of TC braking and engine dethrottling will almost totally negate any positive aspect of the VC.

Some VC systems even use a gas "bubble" of a controlled size to delay the onset of coupling. The gas must be compressed to "zip" before the expansion of the VC fluid due to heating will have any efffect on coupling.

I have long thought these C4's using the VC could gain an advantage in autocross by driving them in a tight accelerating circle, "pre-stiffening" the VC, just before entering the course.

The new 997 C4's are now using the same Ford Escape, RX350, etc, electromechanical clutch with PWM to modulate the coupling level.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:40 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
DC4
"...the fluid gets thicker..."

The VC case is hermetically sealed so as the fluid heats due to the shearing of the clutch plates it cannot expand in volume so it "thickens".

The higher the expansion ratio of the VC fluid with temperature rise the more rapidly will be the onset of coupling.

Quick Reply: 996 Carrera 4S broken AWD