Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition Switch

I've searched all of the ignition switch faults but I still have some questions about, what looks like, an immanent failure of my switch.

Recently it got difficult to remove the key. I figured out that if I applied just a bit more pressure counterclockwise after the key was turned to the OFF position, the key would come out easily again. Today, however, when I went to turn the car off I felt spring loading prior to turning completely to the OFF position. Immediately I tried to start the car and noticed that the spring loading at the "starter engage" position (the loading that makes the key snap back to the RUN position) is no longer present. If I turn the key to the START position it will just stay there if I don't manually turn the key back to the RUN position. It still starts and runs if I put the key in the proper position. Now when I go to turn it to the OFF position I always get spring tension trying to get to the OFF position. The key is (once again) difficult to remove and upon removing the key, I don't get the metallic clunk of the steering wheel locking (and the steering wheel does not lock).

OK -- so is this the whole enchilada (about $170) that's shot or is it just the electrical portion that's shot (about $12).

Sorry if this has been covered but I searched and it wasn't really conclusive.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Dan
Old 11-06-2010, 12:19 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Most likely the $12 portion
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd suggest replacing the $12 switch before the whole enchilada, and go from there.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Pilot
I've searched all of the ignition switch faults but I still have some questions about, what looks like, an immanent failure of my switch.

Recently it got difficult to remove the key. I figured out that if I applied just a bit more pressure counterclockwise after the key was turned to the OFF position, the key would come out easily again. Today, however, when I went to turn the car off I felt spring loading prior to turning completely to the OFF position. Immediately I tried to start the car and noticed that the spring loading at the "starter engage" position (the loading that makes the key snap back to the RUN position) is no longer present. If I turn the key to the START position it will just stay there if I don't manually turn the key back to the RUN position. It still starts and runs if I put the key in the proper position. Now when I go to turn it to the OFF position I always get spring tension trying to get to the OFF position. The key is (once again) difficult to remove and upon removing the key, I don't get the metallic clunk of the steering wheel locking (and the steering wheel does not lock).

OK -- so is this the whole enchilada (about $170) that's shot or is it just the electrical portion that's shot (about $12).

Sorry if this has been covered but I searched and it wasn't really conclusive.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Dan
Disconnect the battery - if the key comes out easily then it is the electrical portion of the switch.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, just bought the cheap part and need to make a swap.
How do I do it?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Ok, just bought the cheap part and need to make a swap.
How do I do it?
Renntech.org has great DIY info. on this subject.

I replaced the switch on my 2000 C2 about a year ago because it became very difficult to turn the key after inserting it. Also, it would occasionally take a second or two for the ignition switch to snap back to the “0” position after removing the key.

After installing the new switch the key is slightly easier to turn to the on position but it still has too much resistance. I guess I’ll need to replace the whole assembly in order to totally fix the problem.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...with-pictures/

You will need to donate to access this info,but it's worth it!!

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...with-pictures/

You will need to donate to access this info,but it's worth it!!
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Was a 20min fix. Easy

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch